cars that come standard with a twin pass intercooler?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cars that come standard with a twin pass intercooler?
Alright guys.

Im wondering if anyone knows any standard cars that have a stock twin pass intercooler.
I know the 1.6 hdi does but that wont be meaty enough I wouldnt think. If anyone knows any that would be greatly helpful Smile

Thanks, Jack
Thanks given by:
Very few that are worth having, got a feeling Jag do one, but no idea on what vehicle.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Fair enough, Yeah I have no idea of any tbf. Was just wondering because it would be a great cheap alternative to an eBay one haha.
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2015, 04:16 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: Fair enough, Yeah I have no idea of any tbf. Was just wondering because it would be a great cheap alternative to an eBay one haha.

Some older saabs did

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saab-900-gm900...2ee0044ad1
Thanks given by:
Ahh thats getting there Smile

I would guess that the input and output would both have to be in line to go round the side of the rad properly.
Thanks given by:
Probably better off with an all metal IC tbh, standard ones seems to blow the plastic end tanks eventually, common problem on VAGs but I'm guessing they're all made the same.
Thanks given by:
Ah that's the one i was thinking of, not sure how i got jag lol. Maybe they did one too, cba to look.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I looked through a load of jag ones and they don't seem to have a twinpass at all. Cheers guys Smile

If anyone knows of any still that would be great Big Grin

Jack
Thanks given by:
Used one of these before (Diahatsu Fourtrak Intercooler):

Not overly big but was a gift from the scrappy

[Image: P1030576.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Completely my imagination then lol, fair enough. :S

Tbh it's just as easy to use a single pass and loop the pipework back underneath/over the top.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Its my understanding that twin pass aren't as efficient as single pass either.
Thanks given by:
I would say it was the other way round as thats the whole point of the twinpass the charge stays in the intercooler for longer to cool it better, but i can't see it making that much difference on an HDI, i know it is easier as with a twinpass as both the inlet and outlet are on the same side , but as Poodle says it's not difficult to get a singlepass and loop the pipe work around so both are on the same side.
Thanks given by:
It's the flowrate that's worse on twinpass rather than the actual efficiency, you're pushing the air through a 180degree turn rather than just straight through obviously. But looping a pipe will have a similar effect anyway tbh. I don't think it'll be noticeable on your application either way.
Thanks given by:
You're mostly right there, Tom. A smooth 180 degree pipe is a lot better for air flow than the end tank of an intercooler though, much less turbulence. The effect being greater losses across the charge cooling tract when using a twin-pass.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I was going with a twin pass for neatness and to make it more of a sleeper. Rather than having a huge obvious intercooler with a big chunky pipe running underneath it.
Thanks given by:
yeah it does look a little neater i guess, this was mine,

[Image: IMAG1063_zps7207d665.jpg]

[Image: IMAG1065_zpsd1055ae7.jpg]
Thanks given by:
ahh very nice. Does look really neat. I will be spraying mine matte black as well so that will help hide it a lot Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hdi FMIC twin pass dimensions, what have people opted for? Paul_13 3 1,345 20-12-2014, 08:50 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  saab twin pass intercooler hucky 5 1,812 21-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Poodle