Best brand of clutch?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best brand of clutch?
Well I want the clutch replaced, and they are cheap, and they have a relatively good reviews and quite a few people that are happy with them. 2 year warranty as well so if all goes to crap then its their issue I suppose. Maybe it was £88 fitted. I never really asked haha.
Thanks given by:
They can't be that bad to fit on a lift imo!? It's the lack of height on a driveway that causes issues, and while the 'box is off for the clutch change only takes 5 mins extra to do the cable, how lazy are these 'real' clutch fitters! Dodgy
Thanks given by:
God knows. Who would you guys all recommend round the Midlands area then?
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2015, 04:38 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: God knows. Who would you guys all recommend round the Midlands area then?
As previously said marcella motors in Brierley Hill give them a call on 01384261995 and say jamie from motorhoist sent you.
Thanks given by:
Okie dokie then. I will give him a ring tomorow. Cheers
Thanks given by:
I got a cable from ecp for about £20. My mechanic did say it was a pain in the ass to fit. 

On a side note, what was the outcome of the smoke test to find your boost leak?
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2015, 04:41 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: Okie dokie then. I will give him a ring tomorow. Cheers
They're open till 6 if you want to call now.
Thanks given by:
Yeah I heard they are, And well it turns out the whistling was caused from where the intake pipe fits onto the actual turbo inlet. The smoke was pouring out haha. A cable tie has kinda fixed it but I will be sorting it properly hopefully on saturday as well

Phoned him and he has said £240+ vat. So that would be £288 for the clutch
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2015, 04:44 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: Yeah I heard they are, And well it turns out the whistling was caused from where the intake pipe fits onto the actual turbo inlet. The smoke was pouring out haha. A cable tie has kinda fixed it but I will be sorting it properly hopefully on saturday as well

Phoned him and he has said £240+ vat. So that would be £288 for the clutch
Yes but that will be a 3 piece clutch kit. And I can personally garantuee they will do a good job as I used to work there.
Thanks given by:
Phoned up to see if I could book in, The earliest I can get it done would be next Friday. And im at work and apparently they don't do weekends haha so it looks like i'm trying my luck at A1 haha. Unless anyone knows any garages that do weekends that could do this weekend :/
Thanks given by:
Just do it yourself, it's not hard. Wink
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2015, 04:54 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: Phoned up to see if I could book in, The earliest I can get it done would be next Friday. And im at work and apparently they don't do weekends haha so it looks like i'm trying my luck at A1 haha. Unless anyone knows any garages that do weekends that could do this weekend :/
Yeah they're always busy as they are the best around here. As said I own a self service garage in Brierley Hill and rent the ramps out by the hour if you want to attempt it yourself, im happy to help/guide you through it and im open saturday and sunday.
Thanks given by:
I don't trust me self one bit to not loose something or break something and then I would have to be the one that sorts it Tongue lol
Thanks given by:
So you'd rather take it to a garage where they'll lose or break something and claim they know nothing about it and you'll still have to sort it? Itwasntme
Thanks given by:
Well so far it doesn't seem like I have much choice lol. They aren't going to be total morons they have to have some kind of reputation to hold up haha :S
Thanks given by:
Why are you in such a rush? Just book in it at a place where you know the job will be done well. Just drive around normally without any harsh accelerating 
Thanks given by:
Pfft... I've never left a garage satisfied with the work carried out. Usually had to return once or twice or fix the issue myself after. Maybe I'm picky/unlucky, maybe not, who knows, every has different experiences. All I know is the garages seem to f*ck up just as much as I do, but try to hide or bodge problems, or just not even acknowledge they caused a problem...

Don't get me wrong there must be good ones, and I know a few people here that work in garages, but the one's I've visited for anything other than tyres or MOT haven't impressed me so far.
Thanks given by:
I just don't want to wear through and and up damaging the flywheel or whatever gets scraped after the clutch has gone through to the rivets. That and it's just annoying as well haha.

As for garages I suppose, If you are good at working on your own car and can do it to a great standard thats brilliant. But like you say you will notice all sorts of faults if you get someone else to do it that doesn't do it quite perfect haha.

I have looked at loads of forums of great reviews of the place but all seem to be old from around 2011 and there isn't much from then on really about them haha
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2015, 05:16 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: I just don't want to wear through and and up damaging the flywheel or whatever gets scraped after the clutch has gone through to the rivets. That and it's just annoying as well haha.

As for garages I suppose, If you are good at working on your own car and can do it to a great standard thats brilliant. But like you say you will notice all sorts of faults if you get someone else to do it that doesn't do it quite perfect haha.

I have looked at loads of forums of great reviews of the place but all seem to be old from around 2011 and there isn't much from then on really about them haha
As long as you back of the accelerator if it does slip and just drive it sensible you can drive on a clutch thats just started slipping for a long time. My stage 2 has just started slipping and I dont intend to put a clutch in untill next month when I have the money.
I've said it once and ill say it again dont use a1 clutches! But if you feel you must get it done this weekend then im sure there's other garages around that will do it. Even some mobile mechanics rent my ramps by the hour to do clutch jobs when they dont want to roll about on the floor.
Thanks given by:
Lol, you don't even have to be knowledgeable about cars to notice some of the cock ups I've received in the past...that's what prompted me to start working on my own cars in the first place lol.

Another week isn't likely to cause damage btw, I'd be very surprised if you're anywhere near the rivets yet.
Thanks given by:
haha fair enough lol. I have never had too much of a problem with garages that I know really lol. I know of someone that might be able to do it for me though tbf thinking about it.

And fair enough then cheers Smile
Thanks given by:
As said clutch will be fine.. I wore my paddle in the alfa down to the rivets, flywheel was fine, thank god because its a DMF. If you drive sensible theres at least a month of use out of it
Thanks given by:
Whilst mentioning the clutch being fine while slipping, i did sell it and the new owner (some guy in his 50's) wore out the 5th gear syncro in just a month! Whether that was due to a slipping clutch or just driving like a cock, i don't know
Thanks given by:
Clutch done, Dropped off at 8 and finished by 10:30. They said my gearbox is noisy haha :S oh well.

Clutch seems fine. It goes in for a check up after 500 miles and again at 3000 miles for them to check/adjust apparently.

Bedding it in gently for now but it pulls a lot better and doesn't slip like the old one so thats a positive in my books haha Big Grin
Thanks given by:
So were did you have it done in the end?
Also theres nothing to adjust on it...
Thanks given by:
haha they must just do checks. Probably just to listen for noises and crap like that. And I had it done at the dreaded A1 clutches lol. Thought stuff it. May as well. Very polite guy there, got the job done fast and feels a lot nicer to drive. Will see how it goes in the long run now haha Smile
Thanks given by:
All the gearboxes are noisy on them lol so don't worry about that, well its the diff really I think, all have that annoying whine on run down.

Glad you got it done though, hopefully won't have any issues!
Thanks given by:
Yeah I thought I had heard that somewhere so I didn't worry about it too much haha. And yeah me too Smile means that I can start using it properly a bit more lol. Wont have to worry about it just slipping whenever I put my foot down a bit Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2015, 10:50 AM)Iceman299 Wrote: Exact thing happened to me! Stage 1 just pushed the clutch over edge. Drive with it slipping for a good few months but eventually fitted at LUK clutch. Simply because it was half the price of a Valeo. 
Changed the cable as well, so no more stiff pedal

Just wondering how the LUK clutch is going and what it's like to drive.. My car needs a clutch and is pretty hard to get into 5th gear now so probably change the box aswell as there's a good few mikes on it (200k) Valeo is abit to pricey forme at the moment
Thanks given by:
(15-04-2015, 06:01 PM)Deangatt Wrote:
(02-04-2015, 10:50 AM)Iceman299 Wrote: Exact thing happened to me! Stage 1 just pushed the clutch over edge. Drive with it slipping for a good few months but eventually fitted at LUK clutch. Simply because it was half the price of a Valeo. 
Changed the cable as well, so no more stiff pedal

Just wondering how the LUK clutch is going and what it's like to drive.. My car needs a clutch and is pretty hard to get into 5th gear now so probably change the box aswell as there's a good few mikes on it (200k) Valeo is abit to pricey forme at the moment

Feels fine, no complaints so far. I have the 5th gear worn synchro issue as well but didnt have money to change the box at the time.
Thanks given by: