Best brand of clutch?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best brand of clutch?
Hey all, 

Just had a remap from HDI-Tuning (also known as Pro-Steve on here) 
The car feels totally different and is proper nice to drive now Big Grin , however the clutch was obviously near the end of its life so is now slipping due to the upped power (was expecting it a bit tbf but will need to be done fairly soon)
I can drive careful and it's fine.

What brand of clutch do you lot use that are running stage 1 maps? I will get a nice good quality one then get it fitted somewhere.

Thanks Big Grin
Jack
Thanks given by:
OEM / Valeo if your running "Stage 1" and not looking to go "Stage 2", yours may bed in if lucky though.

How many miles has it done?
Thanks given by:
I am planning to go stage 2 but it will be a while from now most likely.

And yeah it has only done 65k miles but it was a city car so lots of stopping and starting and pulling away has probably taken its toll haha
Thanks given by:
If you're gentle with it and don't hold the throttle when it starts to slip, it might bed back in for a bit. If you're planning on going stage 2, your only options really are a paddle from CG, a more expensive paddle from Helix or using a new valeo and hoping for the best (my method) or getting the s2 torque limited map.
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Yeah I am thinking quite a way in the future really but I suppose a clutch lasts a long time haha.

Urm what are the performance ones like to live with? A bit of a pain?

And tbf yeah it might bed back in as it does seem like the biting point isn't too high or is that just rubbish now when people say that?
Thanks given by:
Hang fire if i was you bud, mine bedded back in and lasted for another 20k of abuse, was showing no further signs of failing when i eventually upgraded.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Brilliant will do mate Smile cheers, I just didnt know how long bedding in would take Smile
Thanks given by:
Any garages around the Wolverhampton area that are good for clutch replacements and would use a specified clutch such as the valeo one above?
Thanks given by:
Just ask them to use a valeo
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Are LUK ones good? A1 clutches are LUK approved fitters so I presume that is what they would use on mine
Thanks given by:
Exact thing happened to me! Stage 1 just pushed the clutch over edge. Drive with it slipping for a good few months but eventually fitted at LUK clutch. Simply because it was half the price of a Valeo. 
Changed the cable as well, so no more stiff pedal
Thanks given by:
Done two clutches on two different DW10s and both times out came an LUK. Would of said they were original.

Re-fitted with LUK.
Thanks given by:
I can get the clutch and the fitting done for £225 does that sound good to you lot?
Thanks given by:
I'd say any of the well known good brands would be fine, LUK Sachs and VALEO

I'd say that's a pretty good price, around £100 for the clutch and £125 for labour.
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2015, 11:16 AM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: I can get the clutch and the fitting done for £225 does that sound good to you lot?

Thats seems pretty good, is access easy enough then?
Thanks given by:
Sounds good then. cheers guys Smile
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2015, 11:16 AM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: I can get the clutch and the fitting done for £225 does that sound good to you lot?

£225 for clutch and labour sounds very good. You not getting the cable done while you're at it? I bought clutch fork bushes too but my mechanic said they were fine and didn't need changing
Thanks given by:
(02-04-2015, 09:51 AM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: Are LUK ones good? A1 clutches are LUK approved fitters so I presume that is what they would use on mine
DO NOT USE A1 CLUTCHES!
If you think you're capable of doing it yourself I own a self service garage in Brierley Hill and I can guide you through if you're not sure give us a call 01384380762
If you want it done for you give marcella motors a call on 01384261995 and say Jamie from motorhoist sent you. They will do you the best deal and only fit luk/valeo/sachs clutches.
Thanks given by:
Whats wrong with A1 clutches? I know quite a few garages that actually send the cars there rather than doing them themselves as its a lot easier.
Thanks given by:
Had first hand experience with some of there work. E.g leaving bolts loose, only fitting two piece or one piece clutches rather than three piece. And the favourite is quoting you a price which is for just a clutch plate getting your car to pieces and then phoning to say oh you need a cover plate and bearing and slide and clutch fork which soon bumps the job up another 100.
Thanks given by:
I have been through loads of reviews and stuff online for the tipton one and loads of people have said they are good. There is the odd person with a complaint but nothing that wouldn't happen at many places. The garage I know that sends cars to them has never had a problem and thats why they use them haha
Thanks given by:
Up to you were you take your car mate just giving you a heads up on my personal experiences with the company. You could get a great job tbh it all depends on who there actually does the job. For all I know they could of sacked the shit staff and are now a great company. But tbh its a relativly straight forward job to attempt yourself...
Thanks given by:
Luk and valeo are the same thing. Or at least i've seen both manufacturer names printed on kit out of the same box many times.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I've had a Valeo in a LUK box before as well. Only thing I have noticed is when a release bearing fails, it's always been a LUK one in my experience, that's 4 or 5 now! Probably just coincidence tbf though lol.
Thanks given by:
How hard is it to replace the clutch cable? The guy at A1 clutches said the one he would use costs £88 and because he has had trouble with the cheap ones in the past he doesn't really want to fit them haha :/ So I thought stuff that if I need one I will either do it my self or get it done somewhere happy to fit the cheaper ones. Is this actually an issue haha?
Thanks given by:
£88 for a f*cking clutch cable... wut?!
Thanks given by:
a "genuine" one apparently. Just said dont bother mate I will just have the clutch done. The cable is alright. Its a bit rough but it works haha
Thanks given by:
Peugeot charged £50 for a genuine HDi clutch cable last time I bought one... (albeit 2012!)

The cheap ones aren't all that great tbh, noticeably 'worse' than OE ones when comparing them, especially at the plastic clip which is the most likely part to snap! That said I have fitted a couple of cheaper ones, never kept the cars long enough to see the longeivity result though lol.

The roughness may not be the cable, it's probably the fork bushes, even if they 'look' good, they're usually crap I find. Went to all the effort of changing clutch and cable on one but just couldn't get the arm off for the fork bushes...result, a very expensive but still shit feeling clutch. lol
Thanks given by:
Erm, you're still going to use him now he's tried to mug you over the clutch cable? K... They're a sod to fit, he's blatantly stuck twat tax on it because he cba to deal with it.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(02-04-2015, 04:32 PM)Poodle Wrote: Erm, you're still going to use him now he's tried to mug you over the clutch cable? K... They're a sod to fit, he's blatantly stuck twat tax on it because he cba to deal with it.
This is the exact reason I tried to warn him off from them. Just wait till the cars actually in there with the gearbox out and they say oh did you know you need a release bearing aswell and a fork and fork bushes and a bearing slide and new box oil. And by that time you aint got much choice because the jobs half done.
Thanks given by: