Bosch pump issue!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bosch pump issue!
(28-03-2015, 09:45 AM)Jonny81191 Wrote: If you're having potential issues with the solenoid, I'd check it's working first:

Get a length of wire, bare back both ends and twist one end round the post on the solenoid, then the other to the +ve terminal of the battery.

It shouldn't melt, I've lashed it up with speaker wire before to get a car home and it didn't melt.

The car should now run but won't turn off unless you remove the wire/use the stop lever on the pump. That rules out the solenoid.

Then get the red wire from that plug, extend it with a bit of wire (that's how most do it, twist and tape works but it really needs to be soldered/crimped) and put it to the solenoid with a decent ring connector.

It's worth checking you have the right wire by either using a light bulb as suggested or a multimeter (It's well worth buying one anyway if you can)

I'd post a picture of mine but I've rebuilt my loom so it'd just confuse things further.

Hate wiring with a passion, this is how mine is at the moment. 
[attachment=22421]
Thanks given by:
okay, you've got what looks to be the starter or glow plug wiring connected to the solenoid too. The red extended wire is correct, although it looks very melted Sad
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Yeah that red has melted because of that other wire connected aswell

And looks like glowplug to me aswell
Thanks given by:
dissconnect the thick wire for now on the stop solenoied and just use a igintion fed live wire to the solenoid (tape up the end of the thick wire with the ring on as you dont want it shorting out on anything)
Thanks given by:
So I've just got the red wire connected now but it's still not starting the battery seem really flat and the 106 battery won't start it either just turning over very slowly
Thanks given by:
Get some easy start in there, or bump start it to get it going.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Have you undone the injector pipes to see if you now have fuel coming through?
Thanks given by:
(28-03-2015, 10:52 AM)vincent1 Wrote: Have you undone the injector pipes to see if you now have fuel coming through?

I'll have to check that tomorrow :/ gotta get to work 
Thanks given by:
Put you battery on charge too if you can a fully charged battery always helps.
Thanks given by:
I don't think you need the blue plug connected, I left mine off when doing it. Just the red wire to the solenoid it what was needed electronically for it to run 
Thanks given by:
(28-03-2015, 11:30 AM)Mark Wrote: I don't think you need the blue plug connected, I left mine off when doing it. Just the red wire to the solenoid it what was needed electronically for it to run 

So could the blue plug stop it from starting? 
Thanks given by:
I don't really know, may as well try it without as the blue plug is not connected to anything on mine and it works fine. I'd imagine the 3 wires in that don't match up to the same functions on the bosch pump as they did on the lucas anyway. Maybe it has had a factor in creating melting wires?
Thanks given by:
(28-03-2015, 11:43 AM)Mark Wrote: I don't really know, may as well try it without as the blue plug is not connected to anything on mine and it works fine. I'd imagine the 3 wires in that don't match up to the same functions on the bosch pump as they did on the lucas anyway

I'll have to try that tomorrow morning, in work till 9 today so can't do anything Sad
Thanks given by:
(28-03-2015, 11:44 AM)Nathan1305 Wrote: I'll have to try that tomorrow morning, in work till 9 today so can't do anything Sad

Hopefully with a charged battery (or jump leads) and only having the one wire connected to the solenoid it will start Smile
Thanks given by:
(28-03-2015, 11:48 AM)Mark Wrote:
(28-03-2015, 11:44 AM)Nathan1305 Wrote: I'll have to try that tomorrow morning, in work till 9 today so can't do anything Sad

Hopefully with a charged battery (or jump leads) and only having the one wire connected to the solenoid it will start Smile

Really hope so, it seems it's always electrics that mess stuff up for me, never had anything fail mechanically. Always electrics
Thanks given by:
Just to clarify what have you swopped on your car? fuel pump/lines/injectors? did you swop pump mounting point studs or used bosch bracket? is the firing order on the bosch lines correct? is the flow and return fuel pipes on the right way as diffrent to the lucas pump? i would also make a12v test light or use a multi meter to check the voltage to the stop solenoid or just use one wire straight from the solenoid to the positve battery lead you can always remove it to stop the engine as for now you just want to get the car running.
Thanks given by:
(28-03-2015, 11:49 AM)vincent1 Wrote: Just to clarify what have you swopped on your car? fuel pump/lines/injectors?  did you swop pump mounting point studs or used bosch bracket? is the firing order on the bosch lines correct? is the flow and return fuel pipes on the right way as diffrent to the lucas pump?  i would also make a12v  test light or use a multi meter to check the voltage to the stop solenoid or just use one wire straight from the solenoid to the positve battery lead you can always remove it to stop the engine as for now you just want to get the car running.

Yep pump lines and injectors, studs have been moved. Pipes are correct as far as I'm aware and I'll have to check voltage with a multi meter tomorrow 
Thanks given by:
If you going to get a mutimeter (always worth having one imo) maplin do one less than £10.00 that will do the job ok or machine mart and even argos do them but a little more expensive. also double check the flow and return pipes are the right way as you say (as far as your aware) wouldnt be the first person to make this mistake i have saw a few now.
Thanks given by:
(28-03-2015, 12:01 PM)vincent1 Wrote: If you going to get a mutimeter (always worth having one imo) maplin do one less than £10.00 that will do the job ok or machine mart and even argos do them but a little more expensive. also double check the flow and return pipes are the right way as you say (as far as your aware) wouldnt be the first person to make this mistake i have saw a few now.

Is there any pics of where the pipes should be going? Me and Ian just went by a picture we found but could do with one with more detail 
Thanks given by:
Just like to thank you guys for the help, in the morning I will check to see if any fuel is coming out the lines. If there is no fuel, what is the cause of that?
Thanks given by:
solenoid fault/ air in injector pipes /fuel supply/return pipes wrong start with a fully charged battery then check solenoid is working then supply to pump is correctly plumbed in (i cant find a good picture yet maybe someone will be kind enough to photo theres for you)
Thanks given by:
(28-03-2015, 05:24 PM)vincent1 Wrote: solenoid fault/ air in injector pipes /fuel supply/return pipes wrong start with a fully charged battery then check solenoid is working then supply to pump is correctly plumbed in (i cant find a good picture yet maybe someone will be kind enough to photo theres for you)

Thanks mate and yeah that would be great if someone can get pics of how there's is plumbed in
Thanks given by:
Not having much luck with this ignition live, would it be easier to just wire in a switch from the battery to the solenoid? 
Thanks given by:
Would be easy but you'd have to hit that switch to turn off the engine so not really ideal.

Whats happening now? Have you removed the other wire and put it wherever its meant to go? If it is for the glowplugs you wont be able to start it without them...crappy IDI. Itwasntme
Thanks given by:
(28-03-2015, 10:30 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Would be easy but you'd have to hit that switch to turn off the engine so not really ideal.

Whats happening now?  Have you removed the other wire and put it wherever its meant to go?  If it is for the glowplugs you wont be able to start it without them...crappy IDI. Itwasntme

Taken that other wire off but know idea where it goes, any idea?
Thanks given by:
Well someone said it was for the glowplugs in this thread I think? Usually it'll just go onto the end glowplug and then they're all linked together.

If it was a HDi I'd know all the plugs but not an XUD loom lol.
Thanks given by:
(28-03-2015, 10:36 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Well someone said it was for the glowplugs in this thread I think?  Usually it'll just go onto the end glowplug and then they're all linked together.

If it was a HDi I'd know all the plugs but not an XUD loom lol.

Really don't think that will reach a glow plug 
Thanks given by:
Well you must've removed it from somewhere lol?

It might also be for the alternator, but I don't see why you'd have removed it if it was.
Thanks given by:
(28-03-2015, 10:45 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Well you must've removed it from somewhere lol?

It might also be for the alternator, but I don't see why you'd have removed it if it was.

The wire is attached to the pump so I haven't removed it from anywhere. It's coming from the pump
Thanks given by:
Tomorrow we're fitting my bosch pump after I've picked the car up.
I'll get pictures of my mates setup for you when I get to his.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slack in bosch pump? dt_ 14 3,391 21-10-2020, 03:41 AM
Last Post: dt_
  Bosch pump help for newbie PugRy 2 1,967 05-01-2020, 09:09 PM
Last Post: jamie182
  Bosch pump fuel screw broken Forby 0 1,468 12-03-2019, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Forby