Symptoms of a worn out turbo?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Symptoms of a worn out turbo?
Apart from the usual smoke (Blue or Black?) that is caused by a failing turbo what other symptoms often exist??

Thanks, Jack
Thanks given by:
Wailing/scraping, lumpy idle, poor performance.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Dont have wailing/scraping I dont think, Idles smoothly I think (fluctuates a bit but that maybe a sensor of some sort) and well I dunno what a good performing stock 306 is so I might struggle with that one haha. Pulls well up to 3000rpm then pretty much runs out?
Thanks given by:
The running out of puff at 3k is just the standard map lol. Do you get more smoke on or off boost? Is it still smoking at idle? What colour smoke?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Low revs seem more smokey. So say I go from like 4th down to third for an over take. if the revs jump up to about 2500rpm and then I floor it then I get quite a lot of smoke.
It doesn't smoke at idle, It smells pretty fumey and burnt dieselly but I suppose thats normal haha.
I presume it's greyish black but I can't really tell as im in the car haha and I can just see in peoples lights.

I am having my intake and boost pipes filled with smoke tomoz to try and see if I can find any leaks. So that should reveal anything of that nature.
Thanks given by:
Fair, could well be turbo seals on their way out.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Well thats brilliant, And how much is a turbo replacement job roughly haha?
Thanks given by:
Lots lol, it's a pretty involved job.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Jack...don't take this the wrong way but I'm sure you're you're either looking for or imagining faults... lol

I have car hypochondria myself so I can appreciate it lol...point is, you can spend shit loads replacing everything and you'll still find fault somewhere. Rolleyes
Thanks given by:
Hahaha sounds plausable lol.
Will see if there are no leaks tomorow get my pulley fitted and then just see how stuff goes for a few months haha Smile
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Symptoms of crank pulley being broken? JTaylor2005 22 4,281 26-02-2015, 06:55 PM
Last Post: JTaylor2005