Odd Noise...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Odd Noise...
Got a weird noise, I'll try to describe it.

It's a fairly high pitched whine. It only happens when cold. It starts at around 1500rpm and builds in volume until stopping abruptly just over 2000rpm. It happens in 1st through 4th, but seems loudest in lower gears. I think it happens in neutral, but can't remember for sure. It definitely doesn't cut out immediately upon depressing the clutch.

Any ideas?
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
That ties in with turbo spool, anything done to it recently?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Nope, no changes in years. I haven't tried booting it, as the issue is when it's cold, so I don't know if that would make it worse.
Thanks given by:
Odd. Can't think of anything else it could be off the top of my head.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Definitely try taking the aux belt off and run it Wink i found my eccentric/manual tensioner was fubar. The bearings were shot and i thought it was crankshaft pulley. Its worth a look Wink ECP sell them for £41 for the tensioner and £45 for the crankshaft pulley...

hope that helps Smile good luck
Thanks given by:
I hope it's not the bloody pulley, it had a genuine one about a year after I bought it, it's only been ~4 years and ~40k since then!
Thanks given by:
definitely take the belt off and spin the manual tensioner, if it doesn't spin smooth...its that Wink ThumbsUp
Thanks given by:
'Only' 40k on a crank pulley? I'd say you're pushing your luck there. Tongue
Thanks given by:
(26-03-2015, 06:00 PM)Kezzieboy Wrote: I hope it's not the bloody pulley, it had a genuine one about  a year after I bought it, it's only been ~4 years and ~40k since then!

(26-03-2015, 06:21 PM)Toms306 Wrote: 'Only' 40k on a crank pulley?  I'd say you're pushing your luck there. Tongue

I second that, so definitely give it a check mate, its easy and takes 20mins to undo and redo and it wouldn't hurt... maybe a couple of knuckles Wink

(26-03-2015, 05:45 PM)highwayman306 Wrote: Definitely try taking the aux belt off and run it Wink i found my eccentric/manual tensioner was fubar. The bearings were shot and i thought it was crankshaft pulley. Its worth a look Wink ECP sell them for £41 for the tensioner and £45 for the crankshaft pulley...

hope that helps Smile good luck

EDIT - Forgot to mention auto-tensioner could be needing a replacement too (£31 ECP), mines making a ticking noise and have already changed the belt, crankshaft pulley and manual tensioner, so I've been a bit foolish really, you gotta be mad not to replace that...but could only afford the more 'important' parts for now lol Wink
Thanks given by:
Well the original one lasted 10 years and 76k, so I figured this one would do alright, given it's an identical OEM part. I'll look into it this weekend if I have time.
Thanks given by:
Sure it was the original? All the HDi's I've had history with have had new pulleys long before that!!
Thanks given by: