THE_Liam's 406 HDI

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
THE_Liam's 406 HDI
(03-05-2015, 09:54 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Who designed these 'fatter in the middle' springs, such a dangerous idea!  Didn't realise 406s USed them tbh.

How is it dangerous?!?
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
When a conventional spring snaps it can't go anywhere but inside the rest of the spring, you've gotta be really unlucky for it to cause tyre damage. When this style spring snaps the 'fatter' coils drop past the seat and rip into the tyre...

Happened on my Vec and was almost right through the tyre in less than a mile of sub 30mph. Happened on a Fiesta at speed when I was at Ford and ripped straight through the tyre, fortunately the driver managed to stop it by ruining the bumper in a verge. Confused

Ok if it happens coming off your drive not much of an issue but that happens at speed it could have major consequences, was one of the reasons I never could trust the Vec!
Thanks given by:
And how often do springs snap? Its hardly a daily occurrence!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
They snap quite often nowadays with such poor roads... Seems to be one of the biggest MOT fails atm across the various forums I'm on, although more common on bigger cars, Mondeo/Vectra etc.

But it doesn't matter how often they snap, cars are filled with shite that'll probably never be used but is there as a failsafe. Fitting springs that'll take out a tyre when they snap seems pretty counterproductive to me. lol
Thanks given by:
It is getting far more common. Main problem I had is that because the tapered spring shot down over the strut it damaged a brake pipe, bent the drop link, smashed an ABS sensor, allowed the top mount to fall apart and sunk the car to ground level. All sorted now though!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
Well made it to Pugfest, even went up the hill! Blower is still dead and the front wheels need balancing but otherwise she's going great!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rNyN7bTDtk...e=youtu.be

Thanks given by:
Slight update, non-car related issues have eaten all my savings so no second car yet and this old beast hasn't had a penny spent on it sadly, but the blower randomly started working again on Saturday!
Thanks given by:
liam, check the connections, as mine has been acting the goat, and all I did was tap where the fan was, and it started to work again.
Thanks given by:
More than likely that means the fan motor has developed a flat spot and ideally needs replacing, Procta.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(22-09-2015, 01:57 PM)Poodle Wrote: More than likely that means the fan motor has developed a flat spot and ideally needs replacing, Procta.

cheers for that poodle! I will look into a replacement, when I get the time
Thanks given by:
Well, finally had a big issue, the clutch is dead. Think the release bearing has collapsed. Still, not surprising after a summer of towing caravans!
Thanks given by:
So, after getting a new clutch fitted, went to London to see some mates. Coming back up the A1...

Rattling followed by a bang, and the battery light. The crank pulley collapsed, but luckily no cambelt damage. Its due a cambelt anyway so Tuesday when I'm off work its getting done. Putting way too much money into this to be honest.
Thanks given by:
Lucky that didn't take the cambelt!! Confused

You need something modern and reliable tbh. Wink Itwasntme
Thanks given by:
Ha screw that!

Rare bit of luck, took off the cambelt cover and painted on the back was "belt+tens+wpump 155k 07/06/14". It's on 167k now so I'll save that belt kit for a while! I was only doing it because I didn't know if it had been done Smile

Pulley was a pain in the arse, had to resort to putting a breaker bar on the bolt and spinning the engine over. One bolt took 45 minutes but hey, it's done. And the noise I thought was a sticky lifter must have been the pulley!
Thanks given by:
At least no cambelt change needed...
Committed to keeping this for a bit then?
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Oh aye yeah, until after the wedding when I've got money again. Might even keep it then and just get a second car.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  THE_Liam's Mercedes thread - New Benz! THE_Liam 293 101,602 20-03-2015, 05:34 PM
Last Post: Poodle