Impossible Oil Leak-HELP!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Impossible Oil Leak-HELP!
Hi there,

I've an oil leak, which I can't seal, its driving me nuts.

After rebuilding my engine: see project thread(http://www.306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=28909)

Its the oil return pipe from my turbo.

I've tried a new t2 gasket, A thick paper gasket(diy)

I've tried just the gaskets on there own and with gasket sealant, with both gaskets. Tried a different oil return pipe.

Tried just gasket sealant on its own

Offered both pipes up to a square, both were fine.

Every time it just drips.

Initially after rebuilding the engine, there was no leaks but after some driving and a couple of heat cycles the leak began.

Any Ideas? I've never came across such a w#nker of an oil leak.
Thanks given by:
Are you sure its coming out of the bottom and not from top pipe and running down?
Thanks given by:
Picture of the offender?

Could be any number of things from incorrect bolting load or material to dirty or uneven joint faces.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Its the flange the bolts to the turbo,

Both surfaces have been lightly sanded down and cleaned with thinners.

Its leaking from on top of the flange(above the gasket at the bolt nearest to the engine).

The car is on my brothers lift, so I can see it leaking, while the engine is running

Its the same with both oil return pipes that I've tried
Thanks given by:
Are you sure you've the right length of bolts in it? like if there a bit too long theyll be tightening but not squeezing the flange up enough.
Thanks given by:
Those shouldn't leak to the point you can see it dripping out, that must literally not even be done up to be like that, as Conor says, make sure the bolts are right and that they're torqued to sped!

That line is under no pressure, it's purely a drain, so as said, very surprised it's dripping straight after you've put it on!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
I was using the original bolts, then replaced them with 12.9 bolts of the same size.

I'm at the point of nearly putting my k14 back on.

It almost looks like its coming out of the bolt hole rather than the return.( could I have a hairline crack )
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Leak of Pipe Air Leak PaddyPug 5 2,863 18-09-2013, 08:31 AM
Last Post: PaddyPug