Losing coolant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Losing coolant
Hey guys, I haven't been driving my 306 much but after a couple of days of ownership the low coolant light came on. Filled it up and hoped it would be ok, unfortunately that's not the case as coming home from work this morning the light came back. Checked the expansion tank and very little coolant in it. I've maybe needed to put in half a litre to a litre to get the water level back to normal but I've done less then a hundred miles in it since topping it up.

I'm not very good at diagnosing issues and I've already searched the forum but just looking for a lil help, possibly head gasket failure or leaking from somewhere? I've just let it idle and couldn't see any drips but because this is a new engine for me I don't really know where to look, is there any tell tale signs of hgf on this engine? Can't see any oil in coolant, just dirty water, I usually check oil filler cap but because it's not mounted on the head like most cars I can't see it getting mayo on it. Passenger foot well is dry I think and the heater blows hot air fine when turned to red and cold air when turned to blue.

I'm basically a hobbyist mechanic, I've changed heads a few times and do all my own work blah-de-blahblah so I can do what needs to be done. Just when I'm faced with an engine I'm unfamilar with I've no idea what's what.

Any help muchly appreciated.
Thanks given by:
Head gasket failures aren't uncommon on these engines so its easy to assume its that if there are no visible leaks. It could also be a pinhole in the radiator which only leaks when the pressure is up. I had that once and only found it by chance.
Has the engine got hot at all (above 90 degrees).?
Thanks given by:
It is the rad, just been out and ran it to temperature and found it pretty quick and the whole bottom member that sits below rad is covered in water. Certainly a lot easier to swop that out. Now to price up a new rad or see if I can find a 2nd hand one and take my chances. Zero white smoke out of exhaust as well so think engine is actually in a not bad state of repair but oil sump looks like it's gonna rust through.

Bought a rad of ebay.
Thanks given by:
Happy days. relatively easy fix...Head gaskets are a b!tch to change... well i thought so anyway.
Thanks given by:
Ok so I got my radiator, somehow I ordered the wrong one to start with but the right one showed up today with the circlip type fitting. Was an absolute bitch to get the bottom hose in and even tho it's in and clip is on water is pissing out of it. I'm pretty fed up as I hate working in confined spaces where you can't get a good grip of things.

Anyway can you buy replacement bottom hoses? Mine is in pretty bad shape and I'm guessing that's why it's leaking so bad, does anyone know the part number?
Thanks given by:
Take the bottom hose off the engine l, fit it to the rad outside the car then thread it through, that's what I do, use a little washing up liquid if need be to get it on and make sure the O ring is present Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
I was considering doing that when I was trying to fit. I've got fed up with it the now so cooling off. I'm thinking that's what I'll do, O ring is there but one of the metal ridges that holds it in place when clip is on has rusted away. I'll give it another go shortly and report back.
Thanks given by:
(19-03-2015, 03:26 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: Take the bottom hose off the engine l, fit it to the rad outside the car then thread it through, that's what I do, use a little washing up liquid if need be to get it on and make sure the O ring is present Smile

Quoted for genius!

That bloody bottom hose clip on the rad :/
Thanks given by:
Ok rad and hose are out, this is my rad hose. Salvagable? I'm gonna try anyway and see if I can get it to seal.

[Image: bcBZX09.jpg]

Everything is back together now and no signs of leaks yet, need to bleed the system tomorrow. Bled the middle one and that was fine but couldn't get anything to come out of the bleed nipple on the bulkhead, I'm assuming that's a bleed point aswell.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Losing the love Nathan1305 15 3,760 10-02-2015, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Nathan1305
  D turbo losing water 306 d turbo 11 3,415 05-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Jonny81191