306 HDi Power Issues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
306 HDi Power Issues
Have a bit of a strange problem...

My 15 YO Pug 306 2L Hdi Meridian (90) has been acting very sluggishly up until this week, and I am very puzzled as to why it seems to be very powerful now. (for a Pug, LOL)

The back story is, that the Pug had been a bit of a slug for eight months. The tank fuel pump went four months ago and was replaced. The car still drove like a slow thing in a slow competition.

The front tyre burst last week...the spare wheel needed a bit of hammering on because it was rusty, but the tyre and original alloy was replaced.

Since then, the car has been very responsive and very powerful. I really cannot figure out for the life of me as to why; during the wheel change, could there have been a resolved sticking brake pad issue? I don't think that was the case, as the car handled fine, and the wheel never felt hot after a long journey. 

It's almost as if an apprentice mechanic secretly remapped my car!! Most likely that the car's having a swansong before packing up for good, LOL.

I know this is a shot in the dark, but I would be so grateful if anyone could please contribue anything towards solving this mystery.
Thanks given by:
Probably a dead maf, i expect the wheel thing will be unrelated.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by: beulah
Damn, yet another problem.

Thank you for you reply, Poodle. Do you think it's worth me purchasing PP2k and running a diagnostic?

I have not noticed any decrease in MPG. Although I will keep an eye on this.
Thanks given by:
Pp2k certainly wouldn't hurt if you're keeping the car, makes fault finding a hell of a lot easier.

Try the maf test - unplug it and see if the car goes any differently. If it's the same or better then you've got a dead maf.
...UPGRADING...

Think the MAF is fried, MPG's down to 25!

Trying the test as soon as I have some free time....
Thanks given by:
25MPG is really bad! my MAF is dead and i still do 40MPG average. Try the MAF test asap because depending on how many miles you do you will pay for the price of a maf in extra fuel used.
Wow that's appalling!
...UPGRADING...

Sorry I am taking so long to reply, I telecommute, so try to only use the old banger when I have to go to the office. Been really busy and have not had time to look at the car properly. I was going to do a voltage test on the MAF. Might just take it to the garage so they can plug the car into the system for a proper diagnostic.

Another long trip tomorrow; I'll probably unplug the MAF on the way back. Might take a bit of time, but I will definitely report back.

Yep, if I do three trips of 60 miles, which is the distance I have to get to work, the car's supposed to have guzzled 30 spondoolies of my hard earned.
Thanks given by:
Pretty sure the maf wont show up as a fault code, and to do a voltage test you need an oscilloscope because a normal multimeter wont react quick enough.
I can't unplug the fricken thing, so I've booked the car in at the local garage for a diagnostic on Tuesday, for what it's worth.

Shervo, that's bloody annoying that it won't show up on a test. I assume if no codes come up, I could just replace the thing anyway.
Thanks given by:
Why can't you unplug it? If you're just struggling a bit use a small screwdriver to unhook the clip underneath and use a bit of mtfu. Wink

Problem with replacing it regardless is it may not be the maf at fault, it's just the first thing we'll suggest as it's a common culprit and very easy to check.
...UPGRADING...

i think 101+ people on here would have told you to take the plug outta the MAF, persevere...its only a couple of minutes work...if you could call it work. Not worth going to a garage to pay for digs but good luck Wink
Where are you located?

If its close, ill come and unplug the MAF for you for half the price the garage will be charging you for a diagnostic.
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
(01-04-2015, 02:05 PM)toseland Wrote: Where are you located?  

If its close, ill come and unplug the MAF for you for half the price the garage will be charging you for a diagnostic.

He had it booked in at a garage on the 24th, guessing he's probably sorted it as he hasnt replied for a while
Hi chaps, thanks for your comments and apologies for the slow progress, please be patient with me. Sorted isn't the word...I just don't know what is going on.

Thank you Toseland for your kind offer.

Nothing going on at idle, starts fine, and runs well.

Didn't take it to the garage as I am peed off with paying through the nose. MOT is due in a few weeks, anyway. Even the mechanic I was chatting to said it drove like a slug before the handling change (just after the front wheel was replaced) so suggested it could be one of the sensors...

I've driven it a bit (300 miles) and the MPG is working about above the expected 50 with careful driving, which is puzzling.

Will MTFU (or WTFU which is more accurate for me) and unplug the MAF to see what is going on. In the meantime, I am going to run it until the MOT...wonder if the emissions test will reveal anything.
Thanks given by:
(05-04-2015, 06:28 PM)beulah Wrote: Hi chaps, thanks for your comments and apologies for the slow progress, please be patient with me.  Sorted isn't the word...I just don't know what is going on.

Thank you Toseland for your kind offer.

Nothing going on at idle, starts fine, and runs well.  

Didn't take it to the garage as I am peed off with paying through the nose. MOT is due in a few weeks, anyway. Even the mechanic I was chatting to said it drove like a slug before the handling change (just after the front wheel was replaced) so suggested it could be one of the sensors...  

I've driven it a bit (300 miles) and the MPG is working about above the expected 50 with careful driving, which is puzzling.

Will MTFU (or WTFU which is more accurate for me) and unplug the MAF to see what is going on. In the meantime, I am going to run it until the MOT...wonder if the emissions test will reveal anything.

How'd you get on matey? Was it the MAF?
Thanks given by:
(08-04-2015, 07:05 AM)highwayman306 Wrote: How'd you get on matey? Was it the MAF?

Ach, sorry about the massive delay in replying. Had some major life issues that took me away from fun stuff...

Anyway, it wasn't the MAF, MOT test revealed no emissions problems - it was the usual Pug Stuck Brake Calliper...
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HDi Starting Issues (lift pump power circuit) mcglynn 41 5,600 01-07-2014, 12:31 PM
Last Post: DeeTurbo