Red Rallye resto

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red Rallye resto
The ones on my HDi were definitely different. I think they were like a CV boot clip from memory. The whole lot was different, Phase 3 got a lockable filler cap too.

Servicebox doesn't list a part number next to it, oddly.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
C2K,

This is what service box shows for my Rallye when I'm searching via the VIN number...part number 70 is what they appear to have replaced my dodgy clips with....

[Image: Screenshot_2015-06-21-00-05-35_zpsjdtqjjkc.png]

So the question now is which were the right ones for my car?? The ones on it certainly show enough life to assume they were the factory ones.
Thanks given by:
The naff things in it are original. The replacement is just a jubilee by looks of it.
Night Blue VW Golf 7 GTD : Bianca 306 Rallye : Mini Cooper D (The Mrs')
[Image: wallye-gtd.JPG?raw=1]
HDi Owner for 200k/9 years
Thanks given by:
Will try and clean up the originals.....

What also annoys me intensely about service box is that they show a part and a number (in this case in that screen shot of service box, part number 3) but then don't list it at all in the parts at the side!!!
Thanks given by:
another thread I have missed!!

What a SUPER restoration...not sure I have seen anyone go to this much effort with the floorpan on a 306 before...super work fella.

cant wait to see what you do with the rest of the car!!!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by: Ben_w
Thanks bud, appreciate the comments. To be honest, I only got into here recently ish, most of the early stuff can be found on either the GTi6 forum and I've another massive thread about it over on the restoration section of Detailing World.

As I've already said, I'm going super OEM on this now. I want it to be as good, if not better, than the day it came out of the factory. Right down to cleaning up things mlike the fuel tank elbow clips! If I can't clean it back up to how it should be, it gets replaced.

The long term plan is eventually to have her fully resprayed. The paintwork is pretty good but has had paint in several places over the years apart from the roof and tailgate which appear to be original and I can tell.

Going to need a new bonnet as there are a series of very small dents along the front, one door will need replacing as there is a bit of a ding in it. Front end has clearly been apart at some point as I'm not happy with the panel gaps. Front bumper has a small scuff and rear has clearly been painted as there is a big run in the paint.....I'll be on the lookout for genuine, new, unpainted panels for some of that lot too.

Oh, to add to this as well, having been in touch with one of the previous owners of this car, he thinks he still has the original block which came out after a head gasket failure......

If he has got it, its definitely going back in!
Thanks given by:
Thanks to Cully, Ive got the missing boot trim and brace on their way, along with some fuel piping parts after I broke a clip on one removing it.

Should also have got my hands on the correct Rallye spare steel rim, along with an almost new Pirelli P6000 in the correct 195/55/15 size.

I got three spare cyclones with the Rallye. I'll be getting another and then getting them refurbed and fitting them with a set of ditch finders, purely for shows etc.

Also ordered some adhesive 8mm neoprene closed cell foam sheet. I'll cut this into sections and stick it onto the tank at the points where it had been rubbing against the body. Should stop it wearing through the paint etc and causing more surface rust. Also picked up a bag of 10 arch liner clips still in the Peugeot packaging for £4 off eBay.
Thanks given by:
Add to that from Cully a couple more fuel pipes, a complete boot light unit and a standard airbox!
Thanks given by:
Does anyone else wonder if, that during the early/mid 90's when they developed the 306, that they employed Einstein's offspring and the village idiots, at the same time? Clearly the brains got put into the engine and chassis departments whilst those without the grey matter got to design and decide on the fittings and fixtures.........yes, I have got the right royal hump. I mean, who on earth (other than said morons) designs a rivet with a hard steel centre and a soft aluminium head so that when you try and drill it out to remove the side skirt, the drill bit keeps slipping off the middle onto the soft aluminium, drilling anywhere and anything, other than the bit you want it to? The same idiots that decided a torx head screw would be ideal to live at the bottom of an exposed arch to hold the arch liner in, getting full of muck making it impossible to get a torx bit into it to be able to undo it.......aaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhh!

Rant over. I shall get onto this evenings activities, other than fighting with stupid, stupid French design! Was high time that the side skirt on the drivers side came off for me to get a better idea of how bad the damage to that from jacking point is and see if the rust has spread any further.

Drilling out the rivets, as I might have mentioned earlier is a pain. I ended up drilling two or three holes in the head of each rivet. If you're lucky, the head comes off whilst drilling like this...

[Image: IMAG2301_zpsdnutghni.jpg]

Most of the time, you end up prising it off with a screwdriver...anyway, the crushed sill was pushing up on the skirt and pushing it out of line/shape. This pic shows it quite well

[Image: IMAG2299_zpsg76nfp7z.jpg]

[Image: IMAG2300_zpswadrop4f.jpg]

Once the rivets were all drilled out, a little careful levering over the rivet stumps that were left and around the crushed section and the sill was off. The sill itself isnt in great shape. Bent out of shape and a couple of the mount mouldings broken...

[Image: IMAG2314_zpsyk7ijox5.jpg]

[Image: IMAG2315_zpsjvdycwyw.jpg]

[Image: IMAG2318_zpsajp7btts.jpg]

So, the sill section......not as bad as I'd first feared in terms of the rust doesn't appear to have spread any further. Worse in the fact the sill section appears buckled in 3 places.....

[Image: IMAG2303_zpsmjghnd4s.jpg]

[Image: IMAG2302_zps5bbiwnve.jpg]

Once washed down, the buckling became apparent..

[Image: IMAG2316_zpsrhta3hga.jpg]

It's gone in 3 places. Very hard to photo but I've circled them in one of the following pics

[Image: IMAG2317_zpsfinjs4ir.jpg]

[Image: IMAG2320_3_zpsrhfcxw9y.jpg]

Bit of a dilema now. Not certain yet if the crushed section does need replacing or just straightening out. This buckled section is covered by the sill and won't be seen if I were to leave it but I'm not sure I'd ever be happy with it left like that. To be honest, if the crushed section does need replacing, I'll do the lot. It's just a slightly larger cut section I'll need from a donor. It has annoyed me though. As has some of the other poor finish paint bits and panel fit I've been noticing as I go. Clearly had the drivers quarter painted but they left the skirt on and did a crap job of the paint edges....

[Image: IMAG2310_zpsbav8icyo.jpg]

Paint on the passenger side wing. About 3 tonnes of it. Again, crap finish at the edge...

[Image: IMAG2311_zpsz8ir4jvh.jpg]

Poor panel fit on the front end. Very poor indeed.

[Image: IMAG2312_zpsv8kxz7gi.jpg]

[Image: IMAG2313_zpssonznmb4.jpg]

I'm assuming it's been put back together poorly. Panels are all genuine Peugeot, no evidence of any front end crash damage (that I know of or have found yet....) The perfectionist is me has well and truely woken up. My wallet is busy hiding and shaking like a sh!tting dog and I'm worried now what else lurks below some of the fresh paint..........

Oh well, in for a penny........
Thanks given by:
And I just won this....

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/161735537622?nav...ING_ACTIVE

A steel with an almost new 195/55/15 P6000 on it for £12.50.....
Thanks given by:
Are the crystal headlights depo or valeo? Sometimes the depo ones are a slightly poorer fit.

Having said that, the fit on virtually every 306 I've seen hasn't been much better than yours.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
I've not checked the brand of the headlights to be honest...... Given how much of this car has been apart in its past, and the fact it's on its third engine, I'm certain there is going to be some degree of out of alignment going on....

I guess they also ought to be gone as well and go back to the Ph2 ones....Might just get a pair of Ph2 ones for special occasions!
Thanks given by:
I would leave the sills well alone or you will end up spending tens of thousands on this thing Big Grin and I wouldn't reuse those factory spring clips, they are so rusty that even cleaned up they just wont clamp like they used to. Distract your ocd for a second and throw on some stainless jubilees Wink
Thanks given by:
Yeah, I've decided to order a pair of the jubilee clips that Peugeot replaced them with. Blasted part of one and they are properly pitted and look pants. Zinc plating won't help hide it either... Suprisingly they still have a ridiculous amount of spring too them....

Have finished cleaning up the beam bits this afternoon. Going to try and find a local place that can galvanize the beam mount brackets as per the original finish. Going to get busy with the beam tube tonight. Skim of filler to cover all the pitting then once I've rubbed that back, a thinned down coat of Electrox to get into any nooks and crannies that are left. Then a proper coat. Flat that back and see where to go from there. Either be more primer and flatting or straight to the colour coat!

Torsion bars I'll have powder coated red I think. Get the nuts, bolts and other plates off to the zinc platers as well and try and find £100 for new bearings and trailing arm shafts
Thanks given by:
First skim of filler on the beam tonight....I say skim in the loosest sense if the word. With it being so warm it went off far faster than I anticipated, despite me using a little less hardener to compensate...you live and learn.....some sanding to do then!

[Image: IMAG2325_zpstthworyj.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Bored tonight. Out most of the day at hospital etc so came home tonight and needed to wind down a bit.....

Went out to the garage and got busy with a Stanley knife and the sheet of Neoprene foam. Have to say, I'm very impressed with it. Still concerned its a little thick and have ordered a thinner sheet just in case.

So, the clear marks where its been rubbing the body...

[Image: IMAG2342_zpssucrk6mg.jpg]

[Image: IMAG2337_zps5fcapdmn.jpg]

[Image: IMAG2340_zpsj9kfzqzk.jpg]

[Image: IMAG2339_zps33m3bg1o.jpg]

So got busy with the Neoprene and ended up with this...

[Image: IMAG2343_zpspqazlmni.jpg]

Some extra bits added to balance it all out and make itmsit level once mounted. Need to test fit the tank tomorrow and see if it is too thick. The beauty of the neoprene is that it won't hold water, meaning it won't hold water against the body should I ever take it out in the wet (nokt bloody likely).Not strictly OEM I know but the OEM solutiondidnt exist.....there is always something you can improve on.

Should be ordering the bearing and trailing axle shafts soon. Have been ordering other bits and pieces off ebay. Found what looks to be a Peugeot dealer getting rid of 306 stuff cheap. Got a new rear brake hose for part of the beam rebuild, still in the packet at half price at £10. Also bought a load of new clips for the side skirts. Negotiations continue on the correct Pirelli plus other bits!

Matt Rallye, I hope this doesn't arouse you too much......
Thanks given by: Matt-Rallye
Two more tyres bought. One new 195/55/15 P6000 and another with over 5mm of tread.

Box of goodies turned up this morning from Cully.....

[Image: IMAG2344_zpsndwdu9sz.jpg]

Should keep me busy for an hour or two! Carpet sections went straight into the washing machine!
Cherry Red Rallye - Full on OEM resto.....
Thanks given by:
I shouldn't read this whilst at work, girls in the office will be noticing the trouser twitch lol

So nice to see a rallye getting the treatment it deserves! wish i had the same drive to do it as you! Mine is in the process but i get distracted far too easily lol
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
As do I Matt. I also put waaaay too much detail into some jobs, as you are about to see....

So, today I picked up one of the tyres. Very pleased with it. In as good condition as he had said.

Came home and once I'd had a cup of tea, I got busy with the sandpaper and the beam....flattened off all the filler which took ages and then did a guide coat of primer. Shows up the highs and lows very well so I could see them. Hardly any highs, still a few lows. Another batch of filler and off we go again....

Flattened off and primed....

[Image: IMAG2348_zpsbzgd15lv.jpg]

[Image: IMAG2349_zpsfnqwpgvf.jpg]

The lows...

[Image: IMAG2350_zpsudx7dgiy.jpg]

More filler....

[Image: IMAG2354_zpsgbwyhjuq.jpg]

I really need a hobby I think.

Oh, wait......
Thanks given by:
wow!

filler on a axle tube.

This is new level restoration!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Well, powdercoating wouldn't have covered up the pitting. Filler does, but you can't powdercoat over filler.

So the pitting got filled and I'll now zinc and high build prime which should flat the rest of it off nicely before painting. Can't decide on colour. Been looking at this Ral Chart

http://www.ralcolor.com/

Either Sulphur Yellow or Zinc Yellow unless anyone can tell me different?

Hopefully this won't tip MattRallye over the edge....

Not responsible for any accidents in the trouser dept...
Thanks given by:
seriously filler on a tube.....
as its a restro i assume the shell is being dipped or blasted? then fresh paint?
90' 205 gti6 supercharged
05' Evo 9 IX GT

Team eaton.

Axle rebuilds please contact me for your needs.

https://www.facebook.com/axlesbystef/
Thanks given by:
Stef, eventually I'm planning on having it blasted. But yeah, filled the tube as it was pretty pitted in places and would have looked sh!t.

And why the 'seriously' remark? Im not paying £360 Peugeot want for a new beam tube when I've a serviceable one with a bit of pitting on the outside. I care about the end results I produce. They are a reflection on me, my work and how much I care. Why not take a bit of time if you are in no rush and make it as good as you can? An hour outside whilst my daughter plays out and I can keep an eye on her whilst working on my car and I've got a tube that's as good as new......
Thanks given by:
(26-06-2015, 07:18 PM)Ben_w Wrote: Hopefully this won't tip Matt-Rallye over the edge....

Not responsible for any accidents in the trouser dept...

lol

I cannot wait for the end product! And thanks for giving me so much inspiration with mine dude Big Grin
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
Bit more done this afternoon.

Flatted back the primer and added two coats of zinc primer. Going off REALLY quickly in the heat of this sun....then got onto the high build primer. 2 coats in....

[Image: IMAG2364_zpspu0dtqhr.jpg]

Liking the colour. Should provide a decent base for the 2k yellow ive got coming. Doing the third coat and I've misjudged where I've painted and not and got a run.....never mind. Can sit in the sun for the rest of the day and dry and I'll flat it off tomorrow.

Also had these arrive today...A brand new brake hose at half normal price and then some new clips etc for the side skirt plus other bits....

[Image: IMAG2363_zpsbt0y6n6w.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The above didn't take long and I was bored this afternoon.

I made a start in the next step, which is stripping the whole front end to eventually facilitate removing the engine and stripping the engine bay to do the same as I'd done underneath.

That feeling you get when you wish you'd never started something? Oh yes....

First step, remove the snorkel part of the air filter system. Easy, one bolt, except someone has put a big old Phillips screw into the bottom.of it to screw the end to the corrugated foil tube that feeds the cheap ads cone filter thats been stuck on.

Snorkel removed, time for the grill. Easy enough you'd think. Out with the 4 clips, disconnect the hockey sticks and remove. No. One hockey stick has been snapped at the point it goes under the grill section before it attaches. One big gluey lump. Grill and hockey sticks have to come out in one piece. White clips that hold the other end of the hockey sticks to the wing have more silicon sealant than homebase......take it apart and the glues hockey stick snaps. Ace. All hockey stick clips broken too but that's normal.

Go to take the passenger side headlight off. Mount nearest the indicator broke . No real suprise. Big suprise was the non std bolt holding it ok , spaced with 4 washers. Was the same the other side....

[Image: IMAG2365_zpsctmm6m2g.jpg]

Got the hump after that and didn't want to do anymore. Bloody thing. Don't think the slam panel is an original one either. Might explain the alignment issues.....
Thanks given by:
Spent the morning shopping for hospital shit for next week then watching the Vulcan fly about....

Home now and in the mood to do a bit more. Beam wet flatted back, now ready for the 2k paint when it arrives. Looks half decent in the high build primer finish..... Also found a can of black paint so started on the end brackets.

Now to attack the front end some more....

Forgot the pic....

[Image: IMAG2372_zpsvleymate.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Ah nice I went and saw the Vulcan last week.

This'll be the the tidiest beam since they left the factory I think. lmao
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Lol, it isn't perfect but then is was pretty crusty and pitted to start with. I'm happy enough with it I think.
Thanks given by:
Just WOW !!

Love it
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My other red rallye resto...... Ben_w 89 15,662 26-12-2015, 02:51 PM
Last Post: Matt-Rallye
  Red Rallye Resto Eddleston 11 4,201 31-10-2015, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Eddleston
  306 GTi6 China Resto 306gtiparts 6 3,242 21-04-2015, 11:30 PM
Last Post: 7057sam