Removing the Inlet Elbow?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removing the Inlet Elbow?
Hey all, When I put in my EGR blank I basically just sort of bodged it in using liquid gasket stuff. I wanted to do a proper job of it today so I bought my self some proper gaskets for the inlet elbow and also got some gasket paper for the egr valve bit.

The problem is that I can't get the elbow off to actually put a new gasket on. I managed to loosen the rubber hose on the bottom, removed two 13mm nuts (lost one, managed to get a replacement) I removed the two egr hex pins from the back and then tried to pull it off. It wouldn't move far enough to the right to be able to get it to come off the bolts that stay in the intake manifold.

Any tips for getting this stupid thing off haha? It's driving me mad lol.

Also is the hose that comes off the inlet elbow and goes to the plastic pipe 51mm or 57mm ID?
Thanks, Jack

Thanks, Jack
Thanks given by:
It needs alot of wiggling, try pushing the hose down and off before pulling the elbow out.
Thanks given by:
Haha cheers Smile but it is possible then lol Tongue I will have another shot at it soon Smile cheers mate
Thanks given by:
Did you loosen both jubilees? I find that helps with the engine out, not sure if you can in situ though.
Thanks given by:
Managed to pretty much fully loosen the top jubilee. Was then hoping to be able to pull it outwards and upwards but it wasn't having it. I will have to have a go again some time. I have had enough of it today haha Tongue
Thanks given by:
It wont pull off (or at least not easily!) without the lower one being loosened, I make that mistake every time lol, then take 5 seconds loosening the lower one and it basically falls off haha.
Thanks given by:
Haha dammit. Will have to have a look at that then. How do you get to the lower one?

Thanks by the way Big Grin
Thanks given by:
The engine is out when I do it lol. Tongue
Thanks given by:
Ahhh fgs haha. These things are a nightmare. I can't get the engine out just to fix a silly little boost leak on an intake pipe haha. Drives me nuts working on this car haha
Thanks given by:
Yeah I always hated working on cramped HDis lol, much preffered working on the Golf lol.
Thanks given by:
I dont blame u Smile I bet most things are easier to work on than this car Smile
Thanks given by:
Depends what you're doing really, obviously some stuff is easier and some harder on all cars, there isn't one that I can think of where everythings easy lol.
Thanks given by:
You sure, they harp on about ZR's and rovers having loadsa space...but I guess thats so its easier to change the head gaskets and all the other parts Big Grin

JT how did you get on?
Thanks given by:
Blush wait till you have to replace a front exhaust pipe on a newish golf......that's a nightmare, unless you have a ramp etc......
Thanks given by:
(08-04-2015, 07:19 AM)highwayman306 Wrote: You sure, they harp on about ZR's and rovers having loadsa space...but I guess thats so its easier to change the head gaskets and all the other parts Big Grin

JT how did you get on?

He wrote a guide, in a thread which you've been posting in Tongue lol
Thanks given by:
Oh arrr lol, dates are a good thing to check ay they Big Grin
[Image: 9fa12c59-0c3d-4413-968d-6a7840ff068f.jpg]
Stage 1 HDi DTurbo Diablo 5dr, "Dee-Dee"
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  inlet elbow removal Ricky 1 1,055 03-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Last Post: Dum-Dum
  Tapping inlet elbow Eeyore 7 2,745 29-12-2012, 11:20 AM