Engine problem peugeot 306 diesel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine problem peugeot 306 diesel
Hi guys,
I hope some one can help me solve this problem. My Y Reg 306 estate has been a great car (it still is) if I can sort it out.
I don't want to scrap it, there is no rust most things work except a silly problem with central locking.
The problem now is the engine started blowing out a lot of white smoke and running very rough. The rev counter dropped to zero and the engine warning light came on.
I took the car to my local garage who did lots of tests. They have managed to get the engine running by adjusting the timing on the fuel pump (more advanced) The engine warning light is still on and no Rev counter. The garage thinks there is a problem with the ECU. Some sensors have been checked and seem to be working OK ,crank sensor etc. plus wiring up to the ECU.
I have not used the car for a while, This morning I had to move it from in front of my garage. The Rev counter was working and no engine light. This lasted about 45 seconds and the Rev counter dropped to zero and engine light came back on.
I would like to fix this problem the car is to good to scrap or sell for peanuts. The engine is the XUD type none turbo 1.9 its done about 100k miles
Any help would be really be appreciated.

Regards

Paul
Thanks given by:
this the DW8 engine?

IIRC the advance is controlled by the ecu. Still mechanical injection though.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Hi,
which engine have I got?
Do you think the ECU is the cause of my problem?

Regards

Paul
Thanks given by:
1.9 NAD in a Y reg estate will be a DW8.. The ECU could potentially be the cause of the problem, but I don't know what it controls on these engines other than advance.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Sounds to me like possible crank sensor failure... The rev counter on these is driven by the ECU, if the ECU hasn't got signal from the crank, it cannot adjust the injection timing, hence it's gone to it's default settings of really retarded, nor can it drive the dashboard.

Also the whole working for a bit then failing is classic crank sensor... That'll be probably because it's warmed up and only works when cold as it's busted.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Hi,
Thanks for the reply,
The garage said they tested the crank sensor and thought it was OK. I have checked the crank sensor myself with a meter and get a reading of 370 ohms, info on web state it should read approx. 400 ohms so should I replace it. My sensor has two wires within the plug to the ECU and there is no problem with the wires from the crank sensor plug to the ECU.
You said it only works when cold, but from a cold start it packs up after about 45 seconds no time to warm up..
Anyway I will take on board what you say and try to get a replacement.

Thanks

Paul
Thanks given by:
My rev counter has never worked from the day I got my mine isn't a nad though it was previously but had an engine replacement so probably that on mine it doesn't bother me really as the car still runs fine apart from cold starts wich are getting easier it seems ok on mine I think the plug was forgotten on mine mechanic hasn't noticed any engine issues but then he is to busy with wheel bearing and rear axle at the moment (still need axle)
Old enough to know better
Young enough to do it anyway

wishes he had started a rescue project thread
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peugeot 306 7a.c.s Hatchback 2001 1.9 WJZ engine code rotjuh77 0 1,091 29-07-2019, 10:55 AM
Last Post: rotjuh77
  Fitting xud9 engine into a s reg peugeot partner Jamieh2013 6 3,801 13-06-2015, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Cho99er5000
  XUD Starting Problem (Peugeot 306 1.9 DT) Gaz85 13 4,356 05-01-2014, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Gaz85