Whining

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whining
Ive had a whining noise for some time obviously coming from the gearbox as it goes when the clutch isnt engaged, could it be a bearing? If so when can i get one from? 
[Image: e0d4ac7c-727f-46a8-ae0c-d4a324a8a667_zpsyn3ibroz.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Sounds like release bearing. (excuse the pun)

Can buy them separately but 90% of people would change the whole clutch as it is a gearbox off job.
Thanks given by:
I put a low mileage box on about 8 months ago and done the clutch too i should of done it then but couldnt afford it, what damage can it do if it fails? I really would like to do it when it warms up abit really
Thanks given by:
It'll potentially damage the clutch cover if it fails and leave you unable to get gears. If you're unlucky and it disintegrates, it'll probably damage the crank sensor too.

If you released the clutch a few months back, how come you didn't you do the bearing at the same time? The release bearing comes as part of the clutch kit on HDi's or other models with a push-type clutch (it's part of the clutch cover on GTi-6 and TD models that use a pull-type clutch) so seems odd that you didn't do it at the time?

If the rest of the clutch is new, the release bearing is normally around £15-20 separately and any decent motorfactor will be able to source one.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
Is it noticeable when you're driving? Release bearing is usually easiest heard at a standstill in neutral - pressing the clutch will change the noise or make it stop. If it's more when you're driving it's probably the box, check the gear oil level and quality. Also make sure there's no play in the input shaft bearing.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(26-02-2015, 06:53 PM)Poodle Wrote: Is it noticeable when you're driving? Release bearing is usually easiest heard at a standstill in neutral - pressing the clutch will change the noise or make it stop. If it's more when you're driving it's probably the box, check the gear oil level and quality. Also make sure there's no play in the input shaft bearing.

It only seems to do it when im slowing down using the engine mainly 3rd and 2nd
Thanks given by:
From that I'd say gearbox bearings. Could check for noisy wheel bearings before you pay out for a refurb box but that wouldnt explain the noise dissapearing when the clutch pedal is depressed.
Thanks given by:
Yup sounds like box bearings.... Release bearing will make noise at idle but go as soon as you begin to press the pedal. If box bearings the noise will remain until the clutch is fully disengaged and no drive goes to the box.
Thanks given by:
Does that mean a new box?
Thanks given by:
I used to get whining under hard acceleration and at speed. I just drive a bit slower now when the missus is in the car.
Thanks given by:
(09-03-2015, 09:39 AM)Shawnobi Wrote: I used to get whining under hard acceleration and at speed. I just drive a bit slower now when the missus is in the car.

I get the exact same noise lol
Thanks given by:
This one's fairly easy to sort out, but not a cheap fix by any means: buy her a car of her own. It'll save you money long-term with the massively reduced cost of repairing alloys and tracking and clutches, not to mention the immeasurable improvement in your own driving pleasure, so worth doing imo.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
is it when your accelerating or de-accelerating?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Whining very slow hdi... Tom 28 6,207 05-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Poodle