darrenjlobb's Adaptronic Managed Compound Blown Derv Bus Build

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
darrenjlobb's Adaptronic Managed Compound Blown Derv Bus Build
Should have taken into the Steels yourself Darren. I did a pair for drifting as a bit of an experiment and they turned out grand. Even had them on the front and there was no wobbles. I just got an engineering firm to roll me the bands for about £30 and i cut and welded them in.

[Image: bDc0HxP.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I did lol at not snading the bonnet but I must commend you on showing the cock ups, many people would have repainted it and pretended it never happened.
Thanks given by:
Heh, no point covering up the cock ups, I learn everything I do via cock ups! There have been many over the years!

As for steels, can see your point, but for me, something like that id rather let a "professional" or at least someone i thought that was do it, given they need to be round / safe etc...nothing against what you have done, but last thing i want is to be worrying about a wheel i welded up flying apart etc, as it happens I could have done a better job anyway but will have to see what to do about this situation at some point!

As for flatting the paint, One part of me still really wants to have an attack again at it, because its a fairly good finish now, just quite a bit of orange peel in it, but to scared to flat it cock / cock it over!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
looks a decent finish from the picture, I'd be proud of myself for sure.
[Image: Untitled-1_zpsc57da38e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
what a bastard about the wheels Darren! can you not take them to somewhere else to see if they can be sorted out?
Thanks given by:
There is a guy here in Cornwall that I have learnt is doing them, I have bought the set of rd...but one of them has a damaged lip / rust issues, so hoping to get the rear ones sand blasted from his set, and then keep my front ones / sand blast them to and re paint them all, but may not work out that simple, if not I will have to take them down to matey and see what he can do, just farce and annoying when you have $$$ into it!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Gonna be watching this thread like a hawk, one of the most iconic 306's i know and was what helped me fall in love with derv in the first place! Cant wait to see it revived
Still Living For The 306  Rofl

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
205 1.9 GTI (Rust.In.Pieces)
306 HDI Stage 3 Estate (Rust.In.Pieces)
Thanks given by:
(25-03-2015, 09:39 PM)dr_jekyll Wrote: Gonna be watching this thread like a hawk, one of the most iconic 306's i know and was what helped me fall in love with derv in the first place! Cant wait to see it revived

I think this goes for everyone! It was lobbland and con67 in the old days, but this was the maddest thing ever back in the day lol
Thanks given by:
I'll second that too...I was really in two minds about breaking the 2.1 this spring...till this happened and I knew it would keep me inspired.
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I have a soad blaster and sandblasted at work can ask if u can borrow it if u like them you can do it in house ur just have to buy some media Smile
Thanks given by:
So bandedsteelwheels from the website http://www.bandedsteelwheels.co.uk should be avoided.

I hope everyone does now avoid http://www.bandedsteelwheels.co.uk for their shoddy products.

(More posts that mention stuff like this help get it seen in google results Wink )
Thanks given by:
Shame isn't it?

I nearly gave www.bandedsteelwheels.co.uk a shout about doing some for my car - glad I didn't now

Any chance of a boost gauge photo or something just to remind us of where this project is going? Paint job aside and all Wink
Thanks given by:
(26-03-2015, 07:50 AM)daniel909 Wrote: I have a soad blaster and sandblasted at work can ask if u can borrow it if u like them you can do it in house ur just have to buy some media Smile

Oh really rhys? That could be super useful...Will let you know when i get them...what do I need to get for best results?

(26-03-2015, 09:33 AM)bigcheez2k3 Wrote: So bandedsteelwheels from the website http://www.bandedsteelwheels.co.uk should be avoided.

I hope everyone does now avoid http://www.bandedsteelwheels.co.uk for their shoddy products.

(More posts that mention stuff like this help get it seen in google results Wink )

Hell well yes, based on my personal experience I would never go near the company again! However bear in mind its easy to get yourself into "issues" bad mouthing a company online....I'm more than happy to show my bad experience, but ill leave it at that. They certainly wont be getting any more buisness from me, and ill leave it up to other people to make that assumption for themselves, however am more than happy to make a video to give an idea of how out of round / useless the paint job was if I feel like it!

(26-03-2015, 10:11 AM)zx_volcane Wrote: Shame isn't it?

I nearly gave www.bandedsteelwheels.co.uk a shout about doing some for my car - glad I didn't now

Any chance of a boost gauge photo or something just to remind us of where this project is going? Paint job aside and all Wink

Heh, there will be some boost soon, I need to sort suspention...brakes....wheel bearings...front clip... wheels and many interior issues out first...but the engine build will commence at some point in the future!
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Depends on what your doing really chap most the stuff I do is sort alloy which I use soda for Pic of the stuff I use [attachment=22391]
There is also different grads of sand you can use I will have a read up on the best stuff to use 
You can also use crushed wallnut shell.
I think I have a bag of sand at home I will have a look tomorrow 
Thanks given by:
Nice to see the project back up and running.
Shocking welds on those steel wheels you got from bandedsteelwheels. Id be ashamed to produce them welds on such a critical safety component and im a bloody amateur!
Thanks given by:
Cannot wait to see this bus!
Peugeot 206 GTI HDI
Volvo V50 2.0d
Volvo XC90 D5

Thanks given by:
(30-03-2015, 03:54 PM)Anton Wrote: Cannot wait to see this bus!

I can't wait either, hopefully at FCS Tongue
Thanks given by:
hahaha, see a half painted rolling shell rock up to FCS with a torn bonnet
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Glad you're back into this! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Right another update, and with this one, we are caught back up with "Real Time" so updates will slow down some what now! As you can tell by the weather etc, everything previous to this post was done some months ago, just only now had chance to get edit it / man up and post it all online! Although not quite as much "hate" for the colour choice as I was maybe expecting hehe!

So as in last post, wasn't really happy with how the first paint job had gone from the start, so decided after much messing / playing, to take it on the shoulder and learn from the experience, and have another shot at it!

So that meant wet sanding the entire car back to give the paint something to grip to, re masking the entire car, and prepping the workshop for paint all over again, oh well!!

So got it all sanded down and masked up:

[Image: IMG_20140831_094310.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140831_105508.jpg]

Then had a decent day, a new spray gun (Just a cheap one, but most importantly the correct nozzle), mixed up some new paint, and shot 3 coats across the entire car:

[Image: IMG_20140831_200109.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140831_200235.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140907_154345.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140907_154357.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140907_144828.jpg]

Overall much happier with the paint job straight off the gun, although still alot of orange peel, it was id say 25% as bad as it was the first time, and a much "wetter" look straight off the gun. I still havent really decided if i want to try wet sanding out the orange peel, but to be honest I am scared to touch it really, so tempted to just leave it as it is, its good enough for what I need, and I dont want to ruin it again / have to start again! Will never get around to building an engine else at this rate!!

Next up was to paint all the "extra" bits, bumpers, bonnet, front clip etc, Was getting much more "used" to it by now, and was able to get a really good finish (for me anyway) straight out the gun now:

[Image: IMG_20140909_165156.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140909_200211.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140909_200223.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140916_185612.jpg]

So left it in a shed for a week or two , and then dragged it outside to give it a wash off / remove all the buffing paste that was left all over it from the first attempt in door shuts etcetc:

[Image: IMG_20140909_075121.jpg]

And a few shots of it with the wheels on / outside, obviously ride height all messed up with no engine in etc, but got all the sideskirts / mirror caps and other bits and pieces back on the car:

[Image: IMG_20140910_192916.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140910_192923.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20140919_074646.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150321_183843.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150322_101507.jpg]

Hehe, hate away, Sorry its not to everyone's taste, but to people who know me, it all make sence Smile

Another video also :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ke8tihH6gM

Thanks for reading as always Smile
| #DervMafia |

Thanks given by:
Looks bloody awful....

I joke it looks fantastic!!! Different to everything else and suits you right down to the ground!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
1off i like it Smile

but then I'm a country Boy Wink

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
That's an epic colour scheme for you fella, love it :-P haha
Thanks given by:
oh my word, that combo looks amazing! Was not expecting it to look that nice.

Also love, in the bonnet shot, all your spare parts have turned green as well lol
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
This looks amazing.

Fair play to you for painting the entire car again. Not a small task, but looks worth the time and effort.

Can't wait to see how this develops
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
Looks epic, paint came up quite well in the picture at least.

So I'm assuming the exhaust is going to be out of the bonnet with flapper?
Thanks given by:
Just need to raise the rear to match the tractor theme
Thanks given by:
Didnt think the colour scheme was gonna work but looks ace dude!!!!
Still Living For The 306  Rofl

306 Ph1 Dturbo Estate
205 1.9 GTI (Rust.In.Pieces)
306 HDI Stage 3 Estate (Rust.In.Pieces)
Thanks given by:
Love it! Defo would have gone for a full ph3 front end though, the ph3 bumper against ph1 lights/bonnet looks weird from the third pic up.
Thanks given by:
Wont look wierd when the gap's full of intercooler again! :-)
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Daves Compound Twin turbo XUD Dave 333 137,364 11-09-2015, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Dave