Hard to start

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hard to start
Thumbs Down 
Right so my 306 is getting hard to start. 

I've tested the heater plugs and they are working, my batterys good.
My light is coming on and the heater control box clicks as soon as  I turn the key,

Could it be the cold start on the pump (lucas) ? 
Thanks given by:
I don't know much about 1.9d turbo I assume there pretty simalar to a 1.9d, it could be either fuel filter, fuel pump, or valves need adjusting. That's my experience with the 1.9d engines I would try fuel filter first cheapest and easiest job by far
Thanks given by:
How long is it taking to start? A few seconds longer or a long time? Did it get worse gradually or suddenly? The most common cause of hard starts is knackered or old glow plugs, or air in the fuel system. Maybe also check your fuel filter and perhaps replace (£4 for a new one) and the air filter too.
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
it happened witin a weeks starting. gradually got worse.It takes about 10 seconds of turning before it actually starts on a good day. i might try glowplugs first, its due a feul filter and oul change anyway. ill get back to use when i get new glowplugs,

Cheers lads
Thanks given by:
It's almost certainly glow plugs in that case unless it's air ingress.
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
It's probably air, sounds like you've got a small leak thats started to open up.

If you're doing the glowplugs then make sure you get genuine Bosch Deuraterms and not the shite NKG make.
Thanks given by:
Do you turn the key to ignition, wait for the light to go out, then listen until you hear a click from the bay then turn the key to start?

Have you tried doing turning the key on a few times before attempting to start, to give the glowplugs a few "heats".
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Mine takes a bit to start when fuel is low I have to pump the plunger then starts fine
Thanks given by:
i heat the car 4 - 5 times every time since this has happened. ill check my feul pipes also
Thanks given by:
Try pumping the fuel grenade, if that fixes it then it's almost certainly air ingress.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
(25-02-2015, 05:24 PM)xudlingo Wrote: Mine takes a bit to start when fuel is low I have to pump the plunger then starts fine

Thats a sign of air ingress.
Thanks given by:
well when i open the bleed screw on the filter on the diesel housing nothing comes unless i prime the hand grenade. it must need blead and ill check the pipes on the grenade to see if there tight after work
Thanks given by:
There is no bleed screw on the diesel filter housing.

What are you fiddling with??
Thanks given by:
(26-02-2015, 03:15 PM)r3k1355 Wrote: There is no bleed screw on the diesel filter housing.

What are you fiddling with??

there is a drain screw at the bottom of the housing
Thanks given by:
oh yea that bit, with the little willy on it.

It usually won't drain out any/much fuel until you open up the top of the filter to help equalise pressure.
Thanks given by:
gonna go out here and make sure all pipes are tight and no leaks. ill get back to yous
Thanks given by:
my d turbo struggles but only on the really cold days fine when warm i only if ever heat my plugs twice on the cold mornings and with a puff off smoke mine starts i might be at your stage soon enough
Old enough to know better
Young enough to do it anyway

wishes he had started a rescue project thread
Thanks given by:
There was a pipe loose at the hand grenade. I tightened all up and cleaned the filter housing but it's still hard. Not as bad tho. Think I just need plugs to be fair, I'll keep use updated
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  306 hard to start letting diesel run back? john85cw 3 1,585 11-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Tom
  air in fuel hard to start when cold dec-66 12 2,821 07-11-2012, 12:42 AM
Last Post: Kwik