"mint" and "very good condition" ...is it just me?!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"mint" and "very good condition" ...is it just me?!
one that gets me in ads is:

"new clutch, brakes, tyres,etc 10,000 miles ago"
Thanks given by:
My little cousin went to see a 106 diesel, described as very good condition, mechanically perfect.
Roof had been jumped on, badly.
Door bump trims missing, headlight smashed.
One tyre bald

Then my unc spotted an engine oil leak and oil was low.
So my female cousin asks the owner, he's like, 'nah, no oil leak, see where its been parked, no stain'
To which she says
'Yeah but there is a huge oil patch on your driveway!'
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
ytou arent allowed to post things like this piggy..

not after that shed you bought haha
Given the choice between Niall and the sheep. I would choose the sheep!
/Toseland
Thanks given by:
Yeah Id managed to wipe that from my memory!

Flipping ripped off by a trader...
It had low miles, fault free, immaculate interior, CDplayer, freezing cold AC.
It was all the polar opposites of those things!

Grrrr torrential rain and pushy salesman
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I never buy from traders. 
I still remember a chav mate of mine who bought a corsa from a trader, ecu was on it's way out, potential headgasket failure. He traded it in while buying another car from a trader, all the guy did was turn the car on and rev it once and that's it the car was accepted and would be sold to the next poor owner.
I'd rather buy private and speak to the owner about it's history/problems etc
Thanks given by:
Theres one trade seller on ebay that uses the same basic title for all his listings, you've probably seen it but it does make me laugh when I see 'Only 174,000 miles'...only!? lol
Thanks given by:
Only Tom? We best ask whats high milage for these engines.
I really do hate it when people list items/cars incorrectly or deliberatly wrong
Thanks given by:
yeh ive seen traders with the same description etc.
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2015, 09:42 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Theres one trade seller on ebay that uses the same basic title for all his listings, you've probably seen it but it does make me laugh when I see 'Only 174,000 miles'...only!? lol

You should try looking at diesel VW's, Passat's especially.

Was looking for a good one with my mate, quickly realised there were no cheapish ones on low miles so instead started messing around.
Who could find the car with the highest miles??
He won at over 400,000 miles - still described as 'great condition'
Thanks given by:
I bet it was described as great condition 'for mileage' though...which is entirely down to personal perception.... I mean at 400k I'd expect everything to be f*cked. lol
Thanks given by:
I bought a hdi Estate '02 with the buy it now button when I was pissed up.

Pretty good condition, small dent in the rear quarter. "Please bare in mind the is an old car and not perfect "

Looked reasonable in the advert, at first glance looked ok apart from a dent in the rear quarter described in the advert.
Started up fine, it did crank over a couple turns longer than usual. Didn't think anything of it.

Agreed to have it then started discovering all the problems

-fuel filter was black and completely blocked
-air filter looked like it hand a sand Castle in it
-wouldn't acellerate
-shit loads of black smoke out the back
-wipers wouldn't work properly
-tracking a mile out
-p bushes completely falling apart and front bushes shagged
-faulty fpr
-tps wiring broken internally
-head rebuild kit found in the glove box!
-diagnostic light removed
-rear 3rd brake light didn't work snapped wire between tailgate and chassis
-rear speaker didn't work
-a whole fields worth of soil/twigs/shit in the scuttle panel

BUT the aircon worked so none of that mattered!

Took me ages to fix nearly all of it then I got crashed into by some idiot on the wrong side of the road driving at me
Thanks given by:
Absolutely standard tbh...

Anyone who describes anything as "good condition" - equals absolutely f*cked... My most hated is "nah it's totally normal for the bushes to look old and cracked on these" - errr, I'll be the judge of that thanks, or "that'll cost £50 for a bodyshop to fix" - why the f*ck haven't you fixed it then if it's so cheap!!!

I just don't trust anyone anymore, had too many experiences of "trusting" people and finding out they know nothing... Same as taking my car to a garage, last few times I've been I've asked for something to be done and EVERY time it's come back f*cking wrong, tyres are a classic "I want Continental SportContact 5s in 205/50/17 93Y XL", come back two hours later, it's got SportContact 2s in 215/45/17 and not XL - I question it and I get the response of "that's all we had in stock" - are you joking me!?! Had to have a huge discussion with the manager who claimed he sanctioned it and it was perfectly acceptable. It's exactly why 1.6HDis have a bad reputation for f*cking up due to the wrong oil being put in, because they didn't have the correct stuff and just banged what they had in... Even these good garages do it...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(25-02-2015, 10:24 AM)Toms306 Wrote: I bet it was described as great condition 'for mileage' though...which is entirely down to personal perception.... I mean at 400k I'd expect everything to be f*cked. lol

Yes, but a price tag near 2 grand makes you think the owner considered it to be pretty good.

To be fair it'd had a new turbo, most of the suspension done and other bits and bobs on the engine.
but at 400K miles it's got f*ck-all value to anyone else, even if it can run for another 100k without issue,
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What car with good mpg would be good for gravel roads? Amandaholo 21 6,613 28-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Last Post: ash240970