Symptoms of crank pulley being broken?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Symptoms of crank pulley being broken?
I have a rattly sort of noise in my engine. I have heard that sometimes the crank pulley can rattle and cause it to sound rough. I also notice when I let off suddenly I get a really quick short rattle as well.
Do you think this could be the crank pulley on its way out? What else would I notice if anything on that issue?

Thanks, Jack
Thanks given by:
Jack the car up and have your drivers wheel and arch liner off, then start the engine and have a look. A quick look on youtube should show you what you're looking for, if the pulley's broken it wobbles about the centre and rattles.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Okie dokie Smile what does that pulley control anyways? Power steering and air con or something?
Thanks given by:
Power steering/aircon/alternator
Thanks given by:
The problem isn't losing the things it runs, the problem is when it fails it often takes the cambelt with it! See the first post in my moonstone project thread...
Thanks given by:
If the pulley is about to go it will be really obvious and moving around a lot with the engine running, I've had a few 2.0s with a rattle that I fixed by changing the tensioner rather than the crank pulley. Have a look if the belt is jumping around a lot.
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Seems to come and go and often after warm up it disapears a bit :S sounds like a right rattle now. I have also noticed when I turn the engine off the revs jump up a little and then it dies off
Thanks given by:
That sounds more like a regulator issue...
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Fuel pressure regulator or some other regulator?
Thanks given by:
Yes, fuel pressure regulator. The running on is a sort-of safety feature to dissipate excess pressure when the regulator doesn't do a good enough job of it.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Hmmm fair enough. And would that also possibly cause slightly rattly sort of running. Possibly due to excess diesel going in?
Thanks given by:
Not 100% on that tbh, possibly. Best bet, as ever, is to get it on pp.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Hahaha everyone always says something about that lol. How would I go about doing that lol? I will have a google now as well. Tbf after what my mate has told me as well about terra clean im tempted to get mine done and fully clean out the intake manifold and properly remove and blank the egr as well lol. That should smoothen it up a bit as well Smile
Thanks given by:
Not convinced on terraclean either, sounds like yet another snake oil product.

For peugeot planet, see if you can find a local member that has it, or just buy your own copy off ebay.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Fair enough. There are quite a few forums saying its good and my mate used it on his 335d and said it made it proper quiet and smooth running :S and okays cheers mate Smile
Thanks given by:
Prove me wrong, i haven't got any experience of the product, just of other products that claim to do similar.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah thats fair enough mate Smile
Thanks given by:
Here is a video of the engine from the drivers side wheel.
View My Video
Thanks given by:
Hard to tell really. seems a similar noise to when my crank pulley had gone. Best to jack it up take the wheel off and have a closer look.
Thanks given by:
Stop mincing about and have a proper look. Tongue
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Will get it done tomorow early finish from work Smile I can get one for £20 as well Smile
Thanks given by:
£20 seems very cheap. Are you replacing it with a 307 solid pulley? Cheapest I could get one was £40 new.
Thanks given by:
Its from a guy I know who had one fitted to a hdi engine he had but it died shortly after so he is selling bits Smile the pulley has about 8 miles on it haha
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Crank pulley compatibility Dreijers 0 1,098 01-06-2017, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Dreijers
  Middle box delete and crank pulley allye 27 6,219 29-10-2016, 06:41 AM
Last Post: allye
  crank pulley/de air con and belt pug306driver 7 2,842 24-06-2015, 12:46 PM
Last Post: Poodle