Intermittent sudden Power lost

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intermittent sudden Power lost
Hi everyone.

I am currently having a problem with my 306 hdi 2.0 and hoping someone can give me some suggestions.
Right it all was going fine no problems at all. I had a boost gauge installed took the top right L bend off and got an intake tapped into it. Good job i did really becuase 1 thing i noticed i was not getting much boost considering I have a stage 1 map. i was getting around 13 to 14psi at best. Anyway I put the L bend on and new gasket had no leaks. Then I noticed oil on my top cover gasket known rocker cover gasket. I replaced the rocker cover gasket no problem dont leak no more. THEN!!

2 days after started it up in the morning warmed the engine up like i always do. Went about 1 mile from my house
she decided to lose power and when i put my foot down a bit to gain power back she puffs lots of black smoke and I feel the engine juddering like its misfiring. I pulled over and turned the engine off. waited and then tried again. went back to normal all day no problem. just that 1 time. next Morning I did the same as the morning before. went a bit further this time about 2 miles. did the same again but this time it lasted about 5 seconds then went back to normal didnt have to pull over it just gained power again. No problem all that day. next morning 2 miles did the same thing lasted few seconds. today it did it in the morning again lasting about 4 seconds before gaining power back. went home tonight and it did it again. The Symptoms I am getting are. Sudden Power loss black smoke when I accelerate engine judder like its not firing on all cylinders. I can also hear the judder. And when it happens my boost gauge flickers up and down fast. need more info just ask. thank you to everyone who can help me. I really do appreciate it.
Thanks given by:
How's the car being driven at the time, revs, throttle, etc?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Hi there thank you for commenting.
It happens at random But i have noticed it does it when I put my foot down to gain speed. Like let say 2,500rpm onwards. Between 2,500 to 3,000rpm. It dont happen so often only once per day happened twice today though. its embarrassing because i got cars behind me and when it does that It shoots black smoke and slows them down for a few seconds because the lack of power until it kicks back in.
Thanks given by:
Sounds like it could be the egr sticking open.

Regarding the boost, 14psi is fine, that's standard on these engines and mapping it doesn't change the boost level.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
hi there.
thanks for the information. I must add that its had the egr pipe blocked with a bolt only found that out the other day. also when i was doing the L bend on the boost manifold There was no egr blanking plate there I always thought if your block the vacuum a blanking plate should be put on also. Is there anyway to test if its stuck open ? unplug the power from it maybe? The feel of it feel like its misfiring along with black smoke bad power loss to the point of slowing down,. then kicks back in again as if it was normal.
Thanks given by:
As you say, it should be blanked with a plate at the inlet elbow.

Sticking was the wrong word to use, it's just opening when you don't want it to, at least i think it is. When the exhaust manifold pressure peaks its possible for it to force the egr valve open and leak exhaust gas into the inlet. There's no way to test for it besides blanking it properly and trying again, the blanks are only a couple of quid on ebay.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
hi there.

I was parked on a hill today started it up and immediately started to shake the car and had rough idle. revs werent moving gauge was flicking. did this for 11 seconds while on a hill. it then went back to normal. acting weird.
Thanks given by:
Joys of a 306
Thanks given by:
Is this a problem in fuel pump?
Thanks given by:
(24-02-2015, 12:36 AM)baabullah Wrote: Is this a problem in fuel pump?

Dont seem to be as it only happens rarely its very intermittent. Might check the fuel filter and chuck in the egr blank plate. Maybe Air flow meter on the way out. il have to check.
Thanks given by:
The rev gauge didn't move? Or it flickered lots? Which one?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(24-02-2015, 07:02 AM)Poodle Wrote: The rev gauge didn't move? Or it flickered lots? Which one?

The Rev counter dont flicker its my turbo boost gauge that flickers.
I have got a video today it seems to be getting worse now happens more frequent.  il try and up load it.

This is the video that i done today morning start it Instantly started to judder. notice how the engine shakes when i rev it.
Thanks given by:
Ah ok, i see. Still reckon it could be the egr, it's an odd one though. Video doesn't work, probably because faceache.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Video 
(25-02-2015, 07:06 AM)Poodle Wrote: Ah ok, i see. Still reckon it could be the egr, it's an odd one though.  Video doesn't work, probably because faceache.

Yeah i will put a plate on it. By the way i put diesel injector cleaner in my fuel tank and its soooooo much better now only done it once today. I have put up a video again.
Thanks given by:
That does sound like she's missing, almost like a stuck valve.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
[quote='Poodle' pid='517000' dateline='1424936193']
That does sound like she's missing, almost like a stuck valve.
[/

there has been some complaints about bad diesel fuel in my local petrol station. starting from when i put diesel in my one. lots of people have said there having juddering problems after filling up there. and some people cant even start there car now. what do you think ?
Thanks given by:
I'd think it's certainly worth considering. If the problem goes away with some fresh fuel, then you know what's happened.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(02-03-2015, 05:39 AM)Poodle Wrote: I'd think it's certainly worth considering. If the problem goes away with some fresh fuel, then you know what's happened.

okay so i decided to drain the fuel out. and put fresh fuel in. because the car has been standing for a while now the battery was flat. I charged it up and now everytime i try to turn it over nothing happens it just clicks. I made sure the connectors on the battery were tight and that i have earth, i used volt meter its reading 12.6 volts on the battery. I changed the battery from my jeep to see if it was the battery but it still clicks wont even turn over. When i turn the key the interior and dash lights go off and back on. 2 different batterys but still the same. its the last step to telling what my Orignal problem was now ive been stopped by this. :/
Thanks given by:
Sounds like a poor earth somewhere, have a check of the gearbox earth strap.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intermittent Loss of Power Alan_M 2 1,848 17-02-2020, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Charlie0
  Sudden Notchy Gear Changes JTaylor2005 8 1,827 11-03-2018, 10:05 AM
Last Post: JTaylor2005
  Help with sudden non starter please NOW RUNNING!!! titch 42 7,939 10-02-2015, 09:48 AM
Last Post: powerandtorque