Gear oil leak. Help?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gear oil leak. Help?
Question 
Been struggling with 1st and 2nd gears when the car is cold recently, and its been getting worse. Im pretty certain its because my gear oil is leaking.

Ive had a look and ive found what i think it might be. Saw some oil on this part near the gear linkages, attached to the gearbox.
It moves in and out slightly, hopefully illustrated by my photos.

Question is, Whats this part called, is it where my leak is, and can i fix it?

Cheers.

[attachment=21683][attachment=21684][attachment=21685][attachment=21686][attachment=21687]

Just found an image someone posted of their saxo. They made a washer for it themselves. Said it happens because of wear over time. So i imagine id have to replace this. No idea how though.

http://s110.photobucket.com/user/MattJag...b.jpg.html
Thanks given by:
(16-02-2015, 04:53 PM)LTD Wrote: Been struggling with 1st and 2nd gears when the car is cold recently, and its been getting worse. Im pretty certain its because my gear oil is leaking.

Ive had a look and ive found what i think it might be. Saw some oil on this part near the gear linkages, attached to the gearbox.
It moves in and out slightly, hopefully illustrated by my photos.

Question is, Whats this part called, is it where my leak is, and can i fix it?

Cheers.

Just found an image someone posted of their saxo. They made a washer for it themselves. Said it happens because of wear over time. So i imagine id have to replace this. No idea how though.

http://s110.photobucket.com/user/MattJag...b.jpg.html

Pretty sure there is a lip seal behind the arm. Real pain in the arse to remove too. You have to knock out the pin (probably have to drill it out), take off arm, clean up shaft before replacing seal. I had that leak on my 306 1.4, but someone had been there before me and replaced pin with a nut & bolt so was a piece of piss. Refitted with a roll pin afterwards to stop the sloppy gearchange.

What gearbox oil are you using? 
2001 BMW 330Ci
2012 VW High Up
1988 205 GTi 1.6
1990 205 Mi16
Thanks given by:
You've got to lose quite a bit of oil to notice a difference in gearchange, I really don't think that small leak will be the cause of that.
Thanks given by:
Quote: Pretty sure there is a lip seal behind the arm. Real pain in the arse to remove too. You have to knock out the pin (probably have to drill it out), take off arm, clean up shaft before replacing seal. I had that leak on my 306 1.4, but someone had been there before me and replaced pin with a nut & bolt so was a piece of piss. Refitted with a roll pin afterwards to stop the sloppy gearchange.

What gearbox oil are you using? 

Ive ordered Total oil. I forget the specs, but the right ones. haha.

But yeah, The saxo photo i posted had that type of pin. I think ill leave it for now, unless things get too bad.

(16-02-2015, 06:25 PM)Toms306 Wrote: You've got to lose quite a bit of oil to notice a difference in gearchange, I really don't think that small leak will be the cause of that.

Ah okay then. Well, I plan to change the gearbox along with my engine as soon as i can. I think ill have to make do with losing oil for a while.
Although, the gear changing has been getting slowly worse for about 3 months now. I dont know if thats still too fast.
Thanks given by:
I had the same problems with my hdi, a gearbox oil change sorted it completely
Thanks given by:
(17-02-2015, 11:21 AM)Iceman299 Wrote: I had the same problems with my hdi, a gearbox oil change sorted it completely

Sorted the leak or just the gear changes?

Im gonna get it changed today. Smile
Thanks given by:
(17-02-2015, 11:26 AM)LTD Wrote:
(17-02-2015, 11:21 AM)Iceman299 Wrote: I had the same problems with my hdi, a gearbox oil change sorted it completely

Sorted the leak or just the gear changes?

Im gonna get it changed today. Smile

Sorted the gearchanges. I didn't have any leaks (as far as i'm aware)
Thanks given by: