car cut out and wont start

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
car cut out and wont start
My hdi cut out today while driving at 60ish and wont start at all now had to get a towed home and is throwing a p0230 code i know its a fuel problem any ideas where to start and how much is a new hp pump if its that any help would be great

Sorry about the grammer or lack of it should i say
Thanks given by:
If it is a fueling issue then it could be one of the following.

Low pressure fuel pump (The electrical one in the fuel tank) These can clog up and then that causes them not to pump enough fuel to the engine.
The fuel pressure regulator (This is what detects the presssure of the fuel, If this is faulty it could be making the ECU think it has low fuel pressure when really it is okay)
It could be a High pressure fuel pump issue as well.

I suppose cheapest to most expensive would be the way to go with this. Cheapest being checking the low pressure pump filter isn't blocked haha.
Thanks given by:
I've done a guide on how to clean that filter in the lift pump

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=28530

Don't forget the fuel filter in the engine bay
may be clogged.
Thanks given by:
What are the symptoms for the hp pump going

And if its the fpr once cleaned and working would taking the car back to standard power from stage 1+ pervent it going again
Thanks given by:
The symptoms are near enough the same as every other fuel pressure problem, so i'd suggest starting with the items that are cheap or free to check and go from there.

Fuel pressure regulator controls fuel pressure like an ecu-controlled bleed valve, as suggested by the name, very common fault and worth a look. The fuel rail pressure sensor is what detects fuel pressure, very rarely a problem, i've yet to see one fail and can only recall one or two instances where it was the cause of the issue - in those cases it was a wiring fault, rather than an issue with the sensor.

Putting the car back to it's standard map would temporarily conceal the problem, not fix it.

There's a lot of info in the link in my sig that may help you.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Poodle ive checked your guide and mine stopped at 3000rpm and now wont start so when you cleaned the fpr did it fix it for good or is it a sign it will need replacing soon ?
Thanks given by:
Depends really. I cleaned my old fpr out when it cut out at 3k lasted about a week before it did it again
Thanks given by:
Did a replacement sort it for good??
Thanks given by:
Yes it did
Thanks given by:
Mine turned out to be an injector problem we *think*, but i've fixed a couple by cleaning the fpr. Not had one where the fpr actually needed replacing yet. It's just a solenoid, so either it'll work or it won't, if you can fix it by cleaning it then the solenoid itself is most likely fine.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I had loads of trouble with mine cutting out due to dirt in the fuel system. My lift pump strainer was filthy so thats been cleaned twice and ive cleaned the fpr about 5 times and its finally stopped cutting out. In hindsight I should of removed the tank and cleaned it out but at the time I didnt want to. Best to try the things that dome cost much first.
Thanks given by:
The t piece from the fuel filter to the pump has a crack in it and seams to be bringing in air could this be the reason its stopped working
Thanks given by:
Well so long as it is letting air in then tbf that definitly sounds like it wont be helping the situation haha.
Thanks given by:
Pressurised systems can't let air in, only diesel out. Certainly won't hurt to replace it anyway though.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
So what is it that stops the fpr working??
Thanks given by:
Muck in it usually, hence why cleaning it fixes the issue.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Its the cam belt thats snapped!!!!! Could a smash to the rear passenger door dislodge the cambelt and cause it to fail 40 miles later???
Thanks given by:
Oh! That's not good
Thanks given by:
Oh lol, had you not even tried to start it since the fault occurred? Lesson kids: start with the basics. lol

Oh well, look on the brightside, at least you don't have to muck about spending time and money chasing a fuelling problem! A smack to the opposite corner couldn't cause the cambelt to fall off, at least not a smack that the rest of the car would have survived lol.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HDI wont start whitlam222 31 3,299 19-01-2016, 05:00 PM
Last Post: whitlam222
  HDI wont start jaycc 8 1,623 09-07-2015, 05:11 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  my car wont start :( Chris306 11 3,813 07-07-2014, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Toms306