Car hit while parked, worth pursuing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Car hit while parked, worth pursuing?
Well it's what everyone dreads, walking out to your car in the morning to find some incompetent arsehole has damaged your car.

"Luckily" the damage to my car isn't that bad but i'm still gutted and I don't know whether it's worth doing anything about it? Half of me thinks it's not worth the hassle and just let it go, the other half thinks why should I be out of pocket / have my car devalued.

I've managed to find a car parked nearby with extremely coincidental damage. Whether or not this is enough to prove anything to police/insurance I am not sure? My car was parked on near a corner with the drivers side facing the road, they have obviously turned left into the road and cut the corner.

I've seen the car owner and know where he lives, so I could knock on the door and ask if he know's anything about it, if he denies everything I'm not sure what I would say? I'm guessing my insurance would go up if I did claim?

[Image: 2015-02-15%2017.23.16.jpg]

[Image: 2015-02-15%2017.21.42.jpg]

[Image: 2015-02-15%2017.27.08.jpg]

[Image: 2015-02-15%2017.25.56.jpg]

Anyone have an idea of how much that would cost to get touched up professionally? I'm guessing about £150?

Thanks in advance.
[Image: sigjpg.jpg]
Serious.
Thanks given by:
[attachment=21672]

This happened to me :/ haven't got a quote yet but not happy 
Thanks given by:
Insurance will bend over backwards to get out of paying anything. Itll end up being 50/50 and youll lose half your excess.
Thanks given by:
I'd ask him and see what he says. Mention that you were informed of it by a witness, which might make them admit it. I wouldn't claim through insurance as it'll end up costing more in the long run as it will stay with you for 3-5 years depending on insurer. I'd definately report him for hit and run though!
Thanks given by:
Claim you have CCTV footage and or an eye witness.
Thanks given by:
(15-02-2015, 06:10 PM)Iceman299 Wrote: I'd ask him and see what he says. Mention that you were informed of it by a witness, which might make them admit it. I wouldn't claim through insurance as it'll end up costing more in the long run as it will stay with you for 3-5 years depending on insurer. I'd definately report him for hit and run though!

I like your thinking, I didn't realise not at fault claims had such an impact on insurance. Seems much the same advice from threads I am reading on PH. I guess the best case scenario is to get a quote from a local bodyshop and see if he will pay up or I will threaten to go through insurance?

(15-02-2015, 05:52 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: This happened to me :/ haven't got a quote yet but not happy 

Ouch, sorry to see that. Have you tried finding a car locally with any damage?
Serious.
Thanks given by:
(15-02-2015, 06:13 PM)lewisdmz Wrote:
(15-02-2015, 06:10 PM)Iceman299 Wrote: I'd ask him and see what he says. Mention that you were informed of it by a witness, which might make them admit it. I wouldn't claim through insurance as it'll end up costing more in the long run as it will stay with you for 3-5 years depending on insurer. I'd definately report him for hit and run though!

I like your thinking, I didn't realise not at fault claims had such an impact on insurance. Seems much the same advice from threads I am reading on PH. I guess the best case scenario is to get a quote from a local bodyshop and see if he will pay up or I will threaten to go through insurance?

(15-02-2015, 05:52 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: This happened to me :/ haven't got a quote yet but not happy 

Ouch, sorry to see that. Have you tried finding a car locally with any damage?

Believe it happened in a carpark at the gym so no idea who did it Sad
Thanks given by:
Is your car an EP3? 
I'd just go and talk to them (nicely) first. Just politely say a person knocked on your door telling you that they witnessed them hitting your car and driving off. Followed by you're just asking out of courtesy before you report it as a hit and run and to your insurance company. Whether they admit it or not, just leave by saying you'll let the police/insurance deal with it.

It looks very minor tbh, just get a black touch up pen and nobody will notice anything
Thanks given by:
There is no way you'll get it proved that was the car that hit you and the damage on it is 2 inches too high from what you've posted, that and whats on the silver car looks like rubber rather than paint.

The police will only investigate if you have CCTV/witnesses
Thanks given by:
Looking at your pictures of damage to both vehicles i can't see any damage on your black car at 24" high where there's black paint on the silver car at that height so might just be a total coincidence & would be very cautious about going & knocking on someones door & accusing them of hit & run.
Personally i would report it to the police & inform them of your suspicions & let them go knock on his/her door
Thanks given by:
Properly looking at the damage, doesn't seem to match up. Damage seems too low on your car. Just touch it up and never park on a corner of a street again. I never do for this exact reason, saw a truck do it to a mercedes and half rip the bumper off.
Thanks given by:
Damage!? Can barely see it! lol

I wouldn't bother having that done personally. Scuffs away or similar should be able to do that for ~£100. My Mum had a worse scuff covered (happened in a car park with no details left) for £120 though hers was solid white.
Thanks given by:
The road is quite cambered which could account for the height difference but I understand it could still be a coincidence. Annoyingly I never normally park there for that exact reason but spaces are very tight around here and there was nothing else available.
Serious.
Thanks given by:
(15-02-2015, 07:53 PM)lewisdmz Wrote: The road is quite cambered which could account for the height difference but I understand it could still be a coincidence. Annoyingly I never normally park there for that exact reason but spaces are very tight around here and there was nothing else available.

As annoying as it is for pedestrians, i'd park half on the kerb while leaving enough space for a wheelchair/pushchair. 
Really makes me angry when i'm walking with a pushchair and some idiot decides to park completely on the kerb!
Thanks given by:
As horrible as it is to have to do, id take it on the chin and leave it. You can't prove who did it so just suck it up. Its only a small scrape which is easily repairable.
I had a big scuff on the front bumper of my octavia repaired.

[Image: 459619c8.jpg]

That cost £80 from a local independent scuff repair man so your little bit of damage should be sod all!
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What to check on a car which has been parked for a while Moh 7 1,633 17-09-2015, 04:05 PM
Last Post: thododd
  Leaving a car parked up for long periods Iceman299 21 3,942 31-07-2015, 03:09 PM
Last Post: maxzy