Anybody fancy fitting a 5th gear synchro?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody fancy fitting a 5th gear synchro?
Was wondering if anybody fancies doing it for me. Can travel anywhere in the Midlands and will be in Reading next Monday and London/Ilford area on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Thought i'd ask people who know about the gearbox's and can do it without removing it as most mechanics suggest.

Also, how much would it cost? If it's too much i'll just put up with it, as i'm skint from spending nearly £300 on a clutch change last week.
Thanks given by:
Ask welshpug, or maybe buy another gearbox?
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:
(11-02-2015, 12:31 AM)adam b Wrote: Ask welshpug, or maybe buy another gearbox?

I've found a syncro already. Just thought it'd be easier changing with the gearbox in situ than buying and replacing a whole gearbox
Thanks given by:
You absolutely certain it's the 5th gear synchro?

TBF I wouldn't worry about it, just leave it until it's too bad... It doesn't really cause any ill effects other than a "cronk" on 5th gear changes, but if you double clutch (i.e. press clutch, take out of 4th into neutral, release clutch, press clutch again, put into 5th) it should stop it clonking as badly.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(11-02-2015, 10:51 AM)Ruan Wrote: You absolutely certain it's the 5th gear synchro?

TBF I wouldn't worry about it, just leave it until it's too bad... It doesn't really cause any ill effects other than a "cronk" on 5th gear changes, but if you double clutch (i.e. press clutch, take out of 4th into neutral, release clutch, press clutch again, put into 5th) it should stop it clonking as badly.

That seems to be what everyone i ask is telling me. Don't know what else it could be either tbf.

I'm happy to just leave it for now but wasn't sure if it could cause more damage over a long period of time. I just move the gearstick slowly into 5th to not get the "cronk" 
Thanks given by:
Worst it's going to do is annihilate the gearbox...

Which is already broken and needs replacement and will be about the same price to get it replaced as changing the synchro... On a gearbox that has had components fail in it, so bits of the synchro are now floating round in the gearbox... You can pick up a box for about £50 and it'll cost you maybe £100-150 to drop it and put a new one in.

Or get some forum members over and feed them bacon, chocolate digestives, beer and curry and I'm sure they'll help you do it.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(11-02-2015, 11:48 AM)Ruan Wrote: Worst it's going to do is annihilate the gearbox...

Which is already broken and needs replacement and will be about the same price to get it replaced as changing the synchro... On a gearbox that has had components fail in it, so bits of the synchro are now floating round in the gearbox... You can pick up a box for about £50 and it'll cost you maybe £100-150 to drop it and put a new one in.

Or get some forum members over and feed them bacon, chocolate digestives, beer and curry and I'm sure they'll help you do it.

There was a lot of rattling pre clutch/oil change last week but now it's gone, so hoping it shouldn't need an oil change.

If it's an easier (and cheaper) job to just replace the synchro, i'd rather do that for the time being then consider changing the whole box if it gets worse in the future
Thanks given by:
did you put proper gear oil in it?

if its had the wrong oil in for a while it might need a change after a while to flush the wrong stuff out.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(11-02-2015, 12:45 PM)welshpug Wrote: did you put proper gear oil in it?

if its had the wrong oil in for a while it might need a change after a while to flush the wrong stuff out.

Yeah i used genuine oil from the dealer
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I quite fancy one of these ROBCAT 2 1,185 04-08-2017, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Eeyore
  Any one fancy swampy 2 973 02-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Iceman299
  Anyone fancy doing the belt on my '6...? Toms306 7 2,002 04-02-2015, 10:26 PM
Last Post: Toms306