Why oh why HDI cheap tax on car but not van??

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why oh why HDI cheap tax on car but not van??
Thumbs Down 
i'm sure there's a stupid reason for it but how come the Y reg HDI 306's are cheap tax and my little Y reg HDI dispatch van isn't?? . . . . .  .seems wrong to me . . .Smile 
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
It's calculated on the CO2 so your van might not have some of emissions reducing stuff the cars have.
Thanks given by:
Same here matt, my 04 HDI Partner costs £150odd for 6 months. The dvla are racist towards vans lol
Team hand-painted-commercial Vehicle
Thanks given by:
Yeah as said, vans are different to cars when it comes to VED
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Becausehmrccommercialrape
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yeah I figured that would be the reason, we all know it's bullshine though, same engine and its only PLG not even a proper commercial, just another example of robbing us again for no good reason, I'd like to xud it and veg everywhere...'k 'em lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
If its still PLG its probably a heavier 'car', obviously more weight uses more fuel, makes more CO2z...
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2015, 09:16 AM)Toms306 Wrote: If its still PLG its probably a heavier 'car', obviously more weight uses more fuel, makes more CO2z...
yeah yeah, makes perfect sense, so if you put a roof box and trailer on your car you should pay double tax then? No didn't think so lol Big Grin

I'm coming down with my band to play Norwich Blues festival soon Tom, anywhere near you at all? Smile
Thanks given by:
Lol, tbh I do think this.... I have to pay more tax on the Focus than the same engine in a 207 due to weight and aerodynamics...but that 207 could be carrying 4 people and luggage everyday lol! Confused

Norwich is about an hour and a half away unfortunately, not coming to Ipswich with the band at all? Wink
Thanks given by:
Maybe, I used to play Ipswich 2-3 times a year when I used to play the holiday camps, bit more serious these days, don't metaphorically bare my arse in front of holiday makers anymore lol
Thanks given by:
Holiday camps? I feel sorry for anyone holidaying in Ipswich! lol Let me know if you do, not that standing in a room full of people and loud noises is really my thing but I'm sure I could make an exception... Smile
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2015, 09:48 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Holiday camps?  I feel sorry for anyone holidaying in Ipswich! lol  Let me know if you do, not that standing in a room full of people and loud noises is really my thing but I'm sure I could make an exception... Smile

I'm sure I used to play a haven camp near there??? I did do them all though, up and down the country, I also drank and err smoked a lot and my memory could be slightly addled Tongue
Thanks given by:
Gotta say I'd of thought it was a proper commercial vehicle but it turns out it is a car derived van being based on the 806.

My truck is a LCV so its tax isn't emissions related, its a standard £220ish for the year.
Thanks given by:
My wife's 1.6 hdi picasso is £120'ish for year but same engine in the 207 it's £30 for year silly really but nowt we can do just pay for it.

Thanks given by:
picasso weighs a lot more and has aerodynamics of a brick, could also be the eco version with long gearing and extra aero bodywork.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Nah the aero 207 'Oxygo' is £0 tax....yet the one I test drove had ~45mpg on the average mpg screen lol...
Thanks given by:
The C8 is on the same platform, weighs more because of seats etc, still costs 220 a year to tax as its 175g/km after 2010, before 2010 it was 185 so £225 a year as its band I not H.

Thats the 120 bhp 16v, if you get the 136 its band J, £265 a year.

so yeah, get the van, £225 a year, winning.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2015, 12:11 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Nah the aero 207 'Oxygo' is £0 tax....yet the one I test drove had ~45mpg on the average mpg screen lol...

Average MPG on the trip computer means nothing if you don't know how the car has been used.

After all, 45mpg used exclusively around town on short stop-start journeys would be exceptional, whereas if it's used exclusively for long motorway trips sitting at 60mph then it would be awful.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2015, 12:19 PM)powerandtorque Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 12:11 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Nah the aero 207 'Oxygo' is £0 tax....yet the one I test drove had ~45mpg on the average mpg screen lol...

Average MPG on the trip computer means nothing if you don't know how the car has been used.

After all, 45mpg used exclusively around town on short stop-start journeys would be exceptional, whereas if it's used exclusively for long motorway trips sitting at 60mph then it would be awful.

Yeah of course, but the point is you can't 'guess' how many g/km of CO2 a car will really make so its not a great system. At least engine size is measurable and not dependant on other factors.
Thanks given by:
You don't need to guess the CO2 figure - it's easily looked up before buying the car so you know what it'll cost to tax.

Generally speaking, the heavier the vehicle, the higher the CO2 will be with a given engine.

Real world MPG vs the dubious claimed figures from the manufacturers is another matter entirely of course.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
No, the manufacturer's guess the CO2 level, I know how the tax works lol, spent ages looking through tax brackets to decide my car. But it's nowhere near accurate, same as mpg... Engine size is a fixed figure, emmisions are variable so makes no sense to tax based on that sort of thing imo.
Thanks given by:
The manufacturers don't "guess" the CO2 level - it's precisely measured as part of the European testing.

Whether it is representative of "real world" usage is academic really - the official figures are what the tax is based on, and they will continue to be whether or not you believe the figures or not.
Thanks given by:
My HDI's tax is £255 a year -_-
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2015, 01:56 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: My HDI's tax is £255 a year -_-

what reg is it? 2001 onwards is cheap iirc
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2015, 01:54 PM)powerandtorque Wrote: The manufacturers don't "guess" the CO2 level - it's precisely measured as part of the European testing.

Whether it is representative of "real world" usage is academic really - the official figures are what the tax is based on, and they will continue to be whether or not you believe the figures or not.

I'm not complaining lol, mines £30 the year... Tongue But it's still a daft system, yes they measure it under certain conditions, but the same car being ragged around town every day will be dumping out a lot more co2 per km than one that sits on the motorway all day...

(10-02-2015, 03:44 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote:
(10-02-2015, 01:56 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: My HDI's tax is £255 a year -_-

what reg is it? 2001 onwards is cheap iirc

Cheaper.... Y reg on is £145 a year.
Thanks given by:
Mine is a T reg haha. 1999 model
Thanks given by: