Broken the idle bolt on the side of bosch pump

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broken the idle bolt on the side of bosch pump
Hi guys, iv just being trying to turn my fueling down on my bosch pump, and so slackened the idle screw in order to turn that down before decreasing the fuel. So slackened the nut then the screw and then did the nut back up. with very little effort on the ratchet, the bolt sheared! :oops: just below the screw thread. Thinking i might be able to solder the remaining half of the screw on to the pin in the pump, in order to withdraw it and then put a new one in. is this going to be possible? or is the pump scrap. its only been in the car less than a week! any ideas would be great.

Cheers.

I will post some pics up if someone could tell me how to upload them!! all I seem to be able to do is put ones in from websites.
Thanks given by:
Im a little confused as to which bit you have broken, so a photo would be great! Smile I doubt the pump is scrap though, whatever it is shouldnt be too hard to fix.
Thanks given by:
Ok used photobucket, should work.

[Image: DSCF0422.jpg]

[Image: DSCF0425.jpg]

[Image: DSCF0419.jpg]
Thanks given by:
So its the max fuel screw which has sheared then?

Pretty bad luck if so, although if you remove the top of the pump you will be able to wind it out easilly enough! Smile
Thanks given by:
Thats bad luck right there :/ Hope you get it sorted bud
Doesnt even own a 306.
Thanks given by:
Thanks, that looks viable.
Looks like it is just 3 allen bolts holding the top on, is that all?
Should be possible to do in-situ.
Thanks given by:
There's 4 and the throttle arm ect.
Might aswell gov mod it while it's out.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
How the hell have you done that Chris?! Is this like your "nipping up" the engine mount to the point where its never coming off again?? lol

To remove the lid you need to remove the throttle arm, the spring that goes with it, the link plate from the LDA cap and then the 4 torx screws on the actual lid, you then need release the idle spring from inside the pump..............

I can sort it for you if you want............mainly because I'm nice :roll: is it leaking or is the screw still sealed??
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Hi Mark, many thanks, it is leaking when running. I have the top loose, and now need to release the idle spring. GULP! any ideas? As the resident 306 mechanic is not here atm, this is a steep learning curve. Thanks.
Thanks given by:
*shakes head* as long as you have removed everything properly you need to push the throttle shaft back through the top of the pump and then unhook the little spring on the back, failing that I could come and bail you out, getting a replacement fuel screw quick could be an issue though! Even if someone has one they could post up its never arriving before Monday Sad
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
OK - I'll have a look and will let you know how I get on.
Thanks given by:
Well got the top off and sheared part of the bolt out. Might be able to braze it back together. What is the shoulder in the middle for? I think im ok at the moment mark though thanks for the offer and I might yet take you up on it!! Btw thanks Dan! and stricktly_derv for the advice.
Thanks given by:
No worries man. Well done for getting it all apart and semi-fixed so quick Smile
Thanks given by:
The shoulder bit's for the seal to stop it leaking. Should be a round rubber ring in there.
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Ah ok Smile got the o-ring. hmmmm the only way to braze back together means filling the shoulder. that might not be possible then. Do bosch still make them? or is my best bet to find one in the scrappers?
Thanks given by:
Best get on from the scrappers. Slip it in your pocket whistle
Stage 2 XUD Sedan
Thanks given by:
Right brazed back together, rubber seal should fit Big Grin which way does the screw need to be turned to reduce fuelling? and btw im assuming by your earlier comment Mark that you dont think i'll get one from greggies?
Thanks given by:
strictly_derv Wrote:There's 4 and the throttle arm ect.
Might aswell gov mod it while it's out.

It's gov modded, I did that before it went on the car, lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Sorry for double post, on phone, cba to copy and paste, lol

Chris.M Wrote:Right brazed back together, rubber seal should fit Big Grin which way does the screw need to be turned to reduce fuelling? and btw im assuming by your earlier comment Mark that you dont think i'll get one from greggies?

Nah you won't find one in greggies, pm me your number and I will ring you and explain over phone Smile good effort on the repair job Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
yea ok, struggling with the site a bit, i think i have pm'd you. have i?
Thanks given by:
anti clockwise to reduce fueling.......if the screw fcuks up again i have a spare u can have Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Well all the pump is back together, and the brazed screw looks ok, I HOPE! going to leave it for tonight and bleed through, inter-cooler back on e.t.c in the morrow! thanks for all the help, and mattchese31 I might be in touch for that screw, but I hope not!
Cheers
Thanks given by:
Chris, you fail.

At least it's running again though Smile
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
Jonny81191 Wrote:Chris, you fail.

At least it's running again though Smile

You can't comment given what you did to the Lucas that was on his car........
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
meh.
Welding and fabrication projects undertaken, contact me for more information.

Thanks given by:
You broke it in the first place! and mark, there was a max fuel screw in greggies Tongue on an old rover with a bosch pump.
Thanks given by:
Chris.M Wrote:You broke it in the first place! and mark, there was a max fuel screw in greggies Tongue on an old rover with a bosch pump.
lol brotherly love eh!

Good find Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Slack in bosch pump? dt_ 14 3,416 21-10-2020, 03:41 AM
Last Post: dt_
  Bosch pump help for newbie PugRy 2 1,980 05-01-2020, 09:09 PM
Last Post: jamie182
  Bosch pump fuel screw broken Forby 0 1,480 12-03-2019, 06:47 PM