Losing the love

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Losing the love
So changed the oil and coolant today to see if it would stop the oil from building up in the expansion tank. I couldn't get the hose off the bottom of the expansion tank so couldn't rinse it all out. I filled it with coolant and bled the system and for a few minutes it was just coolant in the tank but after that oily sludge started rising to the top of the tank.

This is really pissing me off now and I'm not sure if this is a HG issue or if it's just the expansion tank has so much crap in that it's rising to the top. 

So should I try a new expansion tank and re-flush the whole system or cut my losses and get a HDi or something or just replace the engine. 
Thanks given by:
crush up a dish washer tablet drop it in and run it for a while then flush it again Wink

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by:
Also just use normal water first, that way you're not wasting coolant. Then when you're sure all the oil is out, put your coolant in
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the advice guys, I might change the expansion tank to make sure it's all fresh and clean inside
Thanks given by:
Speaking from experience, DON'T ditch the DT for an HDi....you WILL regret it. I miss the sheer simplicity of the XUD almost every day, and the HDi is just nowhere near as exciting.

As Connor says, flush the system another couple of times with plain water, and maybe even try Cully's dishwasher tablet trick, then use your coolant once you're sure the system is clear.
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(09-02-2015, 06:49 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Speaking from experience, DON'T ditch the DT for an HDi....you WILL regret it. I miss the sheer simplicity of the XUD almost every day, and the HDi is just nowhere near as exciting.

As Connor says, flush the system another couple of times with plain water, and maybe even try Cully's dishwasher tablet trick, then use your coolant once you're sure the system is clear.

Yeah I'll keep at it just really taking it out of me. I look at the car and just think what else is going to go wrong. I'll have to get more coolant and have another go at it 
Thanks given by:
Standard issue 306 ownership right there mate, every journey is a peril! lol

Seriously though, better the devil you know! Only reason I got rid of my DT was because it wasn't big enough to carry my work gear AND the kids.....only one or the other. And it was almost how I wanted it too. Sad
Thanks given by:
(09-02-2015, 07:09 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Standard issue 306 ownership right there mate, every journey is a peril! lol

Seriously though, better the devil you know! Only reason I got rid of my DT was because it wasn't big enough to carry my work gear AND the kids.....only one or the other. And it was almost how I wanted it too. Sad

Yeah fair point I guell I know all the issues with this car. And I loved your DT was so cool you need another one haha
Thanks given by:
Well, I keep saying to myself that if the HDi plays about much more, i might just lose the lump and drop an XUD in it! Wink

If i was to get another XUD, it would most definitely have to be in estate form. Did love that car though, was hilarious fun, and I'd only done a Stage 1 on it! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(09-02-2015, 07:15 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Well, I keep saying to myself that if the HDi plays about much more, i might just lose the lump and drop an XUD in it! Wink

If i was to get another XUD, it would most definitely have to be in estate form. Did love that car though, was hilarious fun, and I'd only done a Stage 1 on it! Big Grin

Do it would be awesome with a Bosch pump and fmic ive got my bosch and cooler in my shed waiting to go on once I sort this issue out 
Thanks given by:
The dishwasher tablet trick works great actually, I do it on every car I get.
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
better the devil you know.... if you got another 306 you could easily have different or more problems!
Thanks given by:
Take rad off and blast water through it with hose pipe.
#2 Moonstone Blue HDI
[Image: 6b0c7309-5184-463c-9f73-2a7b96601418_zpsfdf041fe.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Is it definitely oily? Or is it just foamy brown shite?

Foamy brown shite is classic engine rusting from the inside out, dishwasher tablet and a few flushes ought to fix that and then just keep on top of coolant changes.

Black and oily - i.e. globs floating on the surface - probably your oil/water heat exchanger shafted, reasonably easy to replace.

Ignore what 99% of people say about oil/water mixing with XUD head gaskets, I've seen maybe one actually mix their oil and water when the head gasket has gone - they don't fail around the oil/water jackets, they always blow either between cylinders or into a waterway and pressurize the coolant severely - if the head gasket is going, every time you take off the rad cap you'll get a massive HISS for a long time and gurgling and when it's really going, the heaters will go cold when you put your foot down and the coolant temperature gauge will just go past 90*c.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2015, 12:25 PM)Ruan Wrote: Is it definitely oily? Or is it just foamy brown shite?

Foamy brown shite is classic engine rusting from the inside out, dishwasher tablet and a few flushes ought to fix that and then just keep on top of coolant changes.

Black and oily - i.e. globs floating on the surface - probably your oil/water heat exchanger shafted, reasonably easy to replace.

Ignore what 99% of people say about oil/water mixing with XUD head gaskets, I've seen maybe one actually mix their oil and water when the head gasket has gone - they don't fail around the oil/water jackets, they always blow either between cylinders or into a waterway and pressurize the coolant severely - if the head gasket is going, every time you take off the rad cap you'll get a massive HISS for a long time and gurgling and when it's really going, the heaters will go cold when you put your foot down and the coolant temperature gauge will just go past 90*c.

This chap talks from multiple experiences of that.
Thanks given by:
(10-02-2015, 12:25 PM)Ruan Wrote: Is it definitely oily? Or is it just foamy brown shite?

It's definetly oil and I've just replaced the heat exchanger but as said there was still oil in the expansion tank that I couldn't get out. So I'm thinking of replacing the expansion tank and re do all the coolant, that way if the oil comes back I know it's something else. But I imagine replacing the expansion tank will fix it as that's the only visible thing in the cooling system that has oil in it. 
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Losing coolant Spoonaltap 8 2,440 19-03-2015, 04:36 PM
Last Post: Spoonaltap
  D turbo losing water 306 d turbo 11 3,414 05-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Last Post: Jonny81191