Tyres....yes another one!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyres....yes another one!
Hi guys,

I know theres plenty of tyre threads...but I really don't know what to go for on the golf. Need 2 new ones to replace the crap rears...they've lasted too well on the back haha...but they need replacing as they've cracked and perished and lost their edges due to dodgy tracking on the silver one.

Now...I was just gonna swap the tyres off the bora alloys but decided to keep those for winter so gonna go for new ones.

They're 205/55/16 V btw, will have to take a lot of torque ninja and would buy from camskill preferably.

Budget is ideally under £60 each....

Some in the price range are -

rainsports - (but they do look annoyingly flat!)
Falken FK 452s - what are they like? theyre on offer atm...
Bridgestone ER 300 Turanza - bridgestones must be good?
Pirelli p6000 (HELL NO!! lol )

So yeah....liking the look of the falkens atm..... anyone got/used them before??

Cheers
Tom
Thanks given by:
Definitely not the ditchfinders!

If they're the rainsport 2s then I'd go with them to be honest. I've not had any experience with the other two, as it goes, but I've heard nothing but good things about the uniroyal RS2s Wink
Thanks given by:
So you're asking for people opinions on different types of tyres? Didn't we just have this thread?
306oc Chat Wrote:15:30: Toms306 - :Genuinely thought it was gonna explode when I was playing with Sam
22:57: SRowell - :wtf why didnt you try harder to make me come!
[Image: connorsig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
another vote for rainsport 2's
[Image: IMG_20130925_181339_zps95df48fa.jpg]
Thanks given by:
What are rainsports like in the dry though? I've been told they aren't that great...and my mate on rainsports can't keep up with me in the dry...that may have more to do with him having half the bhp though haha.

The soft sidewalls look like they'd be a bit wallowy tbh?
Thanks given by:
Connor Wrote:So you're asking for people opinions on different types of tyres? Didn't we just have this thread?

The falkens and bridgestones werent in the other thread lol....
Thanks given by:
Another vote for RS2's they work well in the dry, are epic in the rain and wear well, yes the sidewalls are a bit softer, solution, add slightly more air Wink
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
The rainsports are known to be good in the dry, though obviously that's based on 306 tyre sizes, so it may well be different with a larger sidewall for the doughnuts on that tank of yours
Thanks given by:
The sidewalls aren't far off the same size as 'clones tbh, only like 10mm difference in diameter I think lol.

And I already put 35psi in to remove some of the roll lol.....the 16s are much better than the 65 profile 15s though, they are balloons haha!
Thanks given by:
Scott Wrote:The rainsports are known to be good in the dry, though obviously that's based on 306 tyre sizes, so it may well be different with a larger sidewall for the doughnuts on that tank of yours

Well I have certainly had no problems with them (aside from them not making them in my size anymore :nope: ) be it dry or wet and I'm not known for my slow driving.........
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Hmm, they do also have a cool tread pattern like proxes...lol

Serious question though, if I put these on the front, and the ~5mm goodyears on the back, is that a bad idea?
Thanks given by:
Toms306 Wrote:Hmm, they do also have a cool tread pattern like proxes...lol

Serious question though, if I put these on the front, and the ~5mm goodyears on the back, is that a bad idea?

They don't half throw water out!

If your only fitting two tyres the new ones should go on the front anyway IIRC Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
mark_airey Wrote:
Toms306 Wrote:Hmm, they do also have a cool tread pattern like proxes...lol

If your only fitting two tyres the new ones should go on the front IIRC Smile

I was always taught that the rear tyres should be the ones with the most tread Confusedhock:
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
Hmmmm.........interesting, in reality I don't think it will make much difference though tbh lol
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Parada spec2s.

/thread

*takes note of OP*

\thread

Anything, realistically you won't find the limit of grip on klebers, let alone anything decent.

/thread
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
I was also told the new ones usually go on the back, but I'd like the grippy ones at the front lol....

Was just wondering if that'd make it tail happy really.... :think:
Thanks given by:
Ed Doe Wrote:Parada spec2s.

/thread

*takes note of OP*

\thread

Anything, realistically you won't find the limit of grip on klebers, let alone anything decent.

/thread

Not sure if you're taking the piss there.......but I've certainly found grip limits on klerbers, P6000s and even Proxes! Maybe I should slow down for corners..... :think:
Thanks given by:
RS2's FTW, mine may be up to like 45psi or something now, which seems to have solved the problem really, only really noticeable if the cars particularly loaded up or you weave side to side quickly, and then back to straight, so not really an issue when you're likely to be driving in anger.
[Image: sigcopy-1.jpg]
Diablo Meridian HDi - 125bhp - 73.0MPG - Halfords Wheels
Thanks given by:
If you want a good wet and a brilliant dry tyre, I'm all over the Dunlop SP Sport FastResponses like a bad rash...

They've got a PROPER sidewall, none of this T1R/Parada/RS2 crap sidewall that folds over in the corners... It feels like a 40 profile when it's a 55 profile, the steering is SO sharp with them on...

Beautifully predictable on the limit, just ask Ed Doe about them...

Not to mention they've lasted the best of any tyre, and ask anyone who's been in my car, it does like to light up the tyres quite regularly...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Dunlop SP FR - £62.50 each
Dunlop Sportmaxx - £60.90 each (usually £66.20)
Rainsport 2s - £59.90 each

So theres not much in it pricewise tbh.....any idea what the sportmaxx's are like compared to the fastresponse?
Thanks given by:
Not a clue, all I know is that I <3 my FastResponses...

Last exceptionally well too... Considering I'm abusing them all the time, when I drive my car, unless I'm on a long journey, I drive it like I stole it.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Heh, fair enough. Big Grin

They don't have a cool looking tread pattern though..... Sad

Its probably between those fastresponse or rainsports atm then. :think: Not sure if I want more wet grip and comfort....or better handling and wear.... :think:

Must admit the rainsport reviews on various websites seem to be fairly bad compared to the reviews on here, describing the handling on them as 'boaty' and 'nervous'.... Confusedhock: But the FR reviews seem to be all good...
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:If you want a good wet and a brilliant dry tyre, I'm all over the Dunlop SP Sport FastResponses like a bad rash...

They've got a PROPER sidewall, none of this T1R/Parada/RS2 crap sidewall that folds over in the corners... It feels like a 40 profile when it's a 55 profile, the steering is SO sharp with them on...

It went down like this: Whoaaa biig hump on the apex taken at naughty-mph, quick tap of oppo, foot flat the entire time, and off towards the horizon again!!

I was all over the JC handles, but honestly the grip is good, and the sharpness I spose helps a lot with 'feel' when collecting those epic moments Tongue
'99 Ph3 Diablo Gti(Victor) Dead
Astor 'X' 4 GTi6-6 - SOLD! Sad
'08 LY Renault Megane RS 230 F1 Team R26 - GONE
'56 BMW Z4 Coupe 3.0si Sport - SCHWIIIING!
Thanks given by:
Seriously? Choosing a tyre on what the tread pattern looks like is so stupid tom.. even for you! lol
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Midnightclub Wrote:Seriously? Choosing a tyre on what the tread pattern looks like is so stupid tom.. even for you! lol

That was a joke btw lol..... lmao

Ed Doe Wrote:
Ruan Wrote:If you want a good wet and a brilliant dry tyre, I'm all over the Dunlop SP Sport FastResponses like a bad rash...

It went down like this: Whoaaa biig hump on the apex taken at naughty-mph, quick tap of oppo, foot flat the entire time, and off towards the horizon again!!

I was all over the JC handles, but honestly the grip is good, and the sharpness I spose helps a lot with 'feel' when collecting those epic moments Tongue

Sounds like fun!! Big Grin

Pretty much going for these now....you and Ruan have confirmed it I think. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
However the tread pattern is boring... So.... T1rs? Lol....
Thanks given by:
And why would these tires have to take masses of torque'zzz if they are going on the back Tom?
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Golf are RWD, you should know that... Pfft!
Thanks given by:
Ha ha lol
[Image: SDC10442-1.jpg]
Thanks given by:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195-50-15-R15 ... 3374d51c97

£44 delivered <-- billybargain!!
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by: