Is it f*cked?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it f*cked?
So was checking my oil and so on and there's nothing in there... It's seems that my expansion tank is full of oil. The car runs perfect and temprature never goes above 75-80. I have no idea what's going on. Surely if it's a big issue I would have temp or running problems?
Thanks given by:
Oil cooler is best case

Worst case is HG I suppose
Thanks given by:
(28-01-2015, 04:26 PM)JJ0063 Wrote: Oil cooler is best case

Worst case is HG I suppose

Yeah I'm thinking oil cooler as head gasket will give more symptoms of over heating and Mayo I suppose? In your opinion should I just replace the sandwich plate with this? http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vie...0742025364 

That way it's a new sandwich plate and a cooler to help it out when I tune it
Thanks given by:
(28-01-2015, 04:23 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: Surely if it's a big issue I would have temp or running problems?

Nope, oil and water mixing wont necessarily cause noticeable problems. Its when something leaks (oil/water) into the cylinders that you get running problems, and when exhaust gets into coolant you get temp problems.

Not sure how to prove whether is the cooler or HG in your case though.
Thanks given by:
(28-01-2015, 04:33 PM)Toms306 Wrote:
(28-01-2015, 04:23 PM)Nathan1305 Wrote: Surely if it's a big issue I would have temp or running problems?

Nope, oil and water mixing wont necessarily cause noticeable problems.  Its when something leaks (oil/water) into the cylinders that you get running problems, and when exhaust gets into coolant you get temp problems.

Not sure how to prove whether is the cooler or HG in your case  though.

So what can cause it getting into the cylinders? 
Thanks given by:
The headgasket can fail in different ways, its job is to keep cylinders, waterways and oilways separate.

Usually XUDs and TUs fail between cylinder and waterways so the coolant hoses fill with exhaust until the either a hose or the rad cap gives out and blows orange shit around the engine bay. lol

If it fails between oilway and cylinder you'd get blue smoke from burning oil.

If either of those happen you'll lose compression so the engine wont run well.

IF it only fails between the oilway and waterway not much will happen tbh, it'll just make a bit of a mess lol. Frothy oil and mayo, or slimy coolant. But obviously thin oil will allow more wear in the engine.
Thanks given by:
(28-01-2015, 04:47 PM)Toms306 Wrote: The headgasket can fail in different ways, its job is to keep cylinders, waterways and oilways separate.

Usually XUDs and TUs fail between cylinder and waterways so the coolant hoses fill with exhaust until the either a hose or the rad cap gives out and blows orange shit around the engine bay. lol

If it fails between oilway and cylinder you'd get blue smoke from burning oil.

If either of those happen you'll lose compression so the engine wont run well.

IF it only fails between the oilway and waterway not much will happen tbh, it'll just make a bit of a mess lol.  Frothy oil and mayo, or slimy coolant.  But obviously thin oil will allow more wear in the engine.

Hmm :/ so if I treat it nicely and get that cooler when I can it should be okay? Then drain all the engine oil (what's left) and expansion tank and put new fluid in. 
Thanks given by:
Depends if its the cooler or the headgasket lol...as said I cant think of a test to prove it so only thing is to change the cheapest one (cooler) and go from there. Someone else may have a better test though.

Definitely drain both oil and coolant and flush coolant system well before refilling it. Smile
Thanks given by:
(28-01-2015, 06:08 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Depends if its the cooler or the headgasket lol...as said I cant think of a test to prove it so only thing is to change the cheapest one (cooler) and go from there.  Someone else may have a better test though.

Definitely drain both oil and coolant and flush coolant system well before refilling it. Smile

Cool thank you Smile so that Mocal cooler I linked above will be best for it?
Thanks given by:
What a terrible ad with all the words merging lol. I don't know tbh, never fitted aftermarket coolers myself but I'm sure someone else can confirm it for you. Smile
Thanks given by:
That link is for an after market cooler and sandwich plate, so no good for what you need.. You need the bit the oil filter screws onto, just the standard thing
Thanks given by:
He wants an extra cooler for track use though I think...

Though personally I'd replace with a standard one for a tenner to make sure it is that at fault first.
Thanks given by:
(28-01-2015, 06:33 PM)Toms306 Wrote: He wants an extra cooler for track use though I think...

Though personally I'd replace with a standard one for a tenner to make sure it is that at fault first.

Only reason I was looking at the cooler one is because it comes with the sandwich plate and as I'm installing a Bosch and intercooler the oil cooler will just help keep everything nice and cool
Thanks given by:
Yeah I get that, but for peace of mind (and before going to hassle and effort of fitting everything else) I'd want to make sure it is the cooler rather than the HG so would just spend a tenner on a standard one first. If it turns out it is that, great, you're only down a tenner and can buy and fit an aftermarket cooler with everything else, if not you have to think about whether you want to attempt the HG yourself or the costs of getting it done elsewhere - and you may need the funds to do that that you've put into an aftermarket cooler that is no good until the HG is fixed...

Hopefully that makes sense, and is only my 'prepare for the worst' opinion lol. Smile
Thanks given by:
(28-01-2015, 06:46 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Yeah I get that, but for peace of mind (and before going to hassle and effort of fitting everything else) I'd want to make sure it is the cooler rather than the HG so would just spend a tenner on a standard one first.  If it turns out it is that, great, you're only down a tenner and can buy and fit an aftermarket cooler with everything else, if not you have to think about whether you want to attempt the HG yourself or the costs of getting it done elsewhere - and you may need the funds to do that that you've put into an aftermarket cooler that is no good until the HG is fixed...

Hopefully that makes sense, and is only my 'prepare for the worst' opinion lol. Smile

Fair enough that makes sense where can you get them for £10? I haven't seen them for that
Thanks given by:
On here probably? Not sure if HDi ones are the same? If so I may have one...
Thanks given by:
(28-01-2015, 06:51 PM)Toms306 Wrote: On here probably?  Not sure if HDi ones are the same?  If so I may have one...

Oh okay well if HDi ones are the same then I'll put an add out Smile 
Thanks given by:
I've got a couple on cars I'm breaking, pm me if you need fella Smile
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
(28-01-2015, 09:14 PM)Mattcheese31 Wrote: I've got a couple on cars I'm breaking, pm me if you need fella Smile

Just pm'd you Smile
Thanks given by:
Just put a pipe between bypass it. Flush the coolant through. Start it up run to temp. Check oil\water is it ok. Yes then its the cooler. No then its the head gasket.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
(28-01-2015, 09:23 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: Just put a pipe between bypass it. Flush the coolant through. Start it up run to temp. Check oil\water is it ok. Yes then its the cooler. No then its the head gasket.

Got a cooler for a tenner so will fit it and flush the cooling system Smile
Thanks given by: