Gti6 with eaton supercharger

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gti6 with eaton supercharger
Hi all I'm new on here I wanted to know what people thought of putting an eaton m45 charger on a gti6. I don't want to strip and rebuild the engine or run it on aftermarket management.
I basically want to make an inlet manifold to take the charger change the injectors and poss map it all on standard equipment..

What do you people think of doing this?
Thanks given by:
There are a few people on here who have done it with eatons.. Stef205 in a 205 and Niall on a gti6.

You will need after market managment though as far as i know as standard isnt easily mappable
Thanks given by:
You will have to run it on aftermarket management. The original ECU can not work with boost. You could set it up like the Lynx low boost Rotrex kits where youre basically fooling the Ecu into not seeing boost by putting the map sensor and throttle body before the charger but it's just a bodge tbh and you will get through chargers fairly quickly. Also, the Ecu would still need a new map which by the time you have paid for that (not cheap a they can't be live mapped) you could probably fit and map a second hand omex or similar.
The eatons are a great charger but they aren't quiet. Much cheaper than fitting a Rotrex and imo deliver a much much better power band. Fit a Rotrex and you will actually have less power than standard until about 6k. Have a look at mine and Stefs project threads if you want any pics of how we have done it.
Don't expect amazing power figures from it but remember it's a completely different animal to a rotrex. To give you an idea, a Lynx low boost is roughly 250hp. Mine is 215 and yet mine will happily sit next to a low boost all day long because you're not waiting hours for it to make its power lol. Can expect peak torque at about 4-4.5k
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Is there any reason why the Eaton M45 is being used on the GTi-6 Surely the M62 would be a better option.
Thanks given by:
(26-01-2015, 08:40 AM)PartyJas Wrote: Is there any reason why the Eaton M45 is being used on the GTi-6 Surely the M62 would be a better option.

because we arent all lunatics looking for massive power  Nospeak M90 surely?
Thanks given by:
M45s are far easier to get hold of Wink my charged mi16 still manges 250bhp with an m45. Stefan got an m90 on now, he's daft though Tongue

The standard ecu can be live mapped by Wayne schofield, as Niall says it's a far better idea to put it on aftermarket management.
Thanks given by:
Ah ok. I wondered if it was space issue. M62's are pretty easy to source. Loads of Merc's use them. Most had an electro magnetic clutch on them too so you could switch it on or off Mad Max styleee.
Fair play to using an M90.. I have one of those on a Vauxhall C20XE. Expecting around 350BHP from that Smile
Thanks given by:
M62s off mercs all have an electric clutch, they're quite rare compared to the m45s. Merc m45s are often incorrectly sold as m62s so do your homework before handing any cash over.
The electro clutch is a ball ache because of it's size. Not dead straight forward to get rid of either, a new nose is the easiest way around it.
Thanks given by:
There is a cheap s40pro for sale on gtidrivers. As reiterated above , after market management is the way forward.  I personally would go for a bigger charger like an m62 if you can get hold of one. I suspect that the electronic clutch system will prohibit the use of a smaller pulley which you may or may not need. 
Thanks given by:
(26-01-2015, 10:32 PM)cheesegrater Wrote: There is a cheap s40pro for sale on gtidrivers. As reiterated above , after market management is the way forward.  I personally would go for a bigger charger like an m62 if you can get hold of one. I suspect that the electronic clutch system will prohibit the use of a smaller pulley which you may or may not need. 

Boost on a m62 on its standard pulley on a 6 makes 2.5psi lol. I do believe you can fit a m45 snout with a bit of work (Allen? Pretty sure it was you i had this convo with) so you can fit smaller pullies.
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
Glad you found your way on here Chris, welcome!

Niall above is the guy I told you about, driven his charged '6 and it's great fun. He's a cockney gobshite but basically a good lad lol
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by: Niall
Arsehole lol
Team Eaton

Thanks given by:
(26-01-2015, 10:43 PM)Niall Wrote: Arsehole lol

Jeeez I said you were a good lad!
[Image: tapatalk_1427020983519_zpsnwvozlhb.jpeg]
Thanks given by:
(26-01-2015, 09:59 AM)allanallen Wrote: Stefan got an m90 on now, he's daft though Tongue

Thanks pal! Big Grin 
Yes I'm the person leading the way with a Manley charger unlike other children  on here with there little hairdryers. lmao 

But in all seriousness aftermarket management is a must imo, Im a great believer and have proven that the key with the eatons is efficiency rather than the amount of boost you can get out of one. As said have a good look through the projects hopefully it will give you all the ideas you need to get you started. 
Thanks given by:
Yep, m45 snout will fit on the merc m62. From memory we had to drill 3 holes in one of the gears to fit the dowels that drive the coupler, simple enough to do anyway.

I think the main thing with the eatons is getting a low mileage one, I'd sooner have the new m45 I have than a high mileage m62.
Thanks given by:
They are more commonly used on Yank metal so you have a better chance of getting a good one from over the pond. There are companies offering rebuilt ones too.
Thanks given by:
Very common on yank GM stuff but they're in bloody awful shaped casings Sad
Thanks given by:
the GM chargers were mainly m90s which were direct to head, ford did a m90 (which is what i have) that where flange fit. As far as i know they came on some mustangs and thunderbirds. Shares the same rotor pack and snout as the GM's. The m90 is very capable of flowing alot 1,400cc apposed to the m45 of 0.737cc. My m90 is nearly spining a 1:1 ratio and packs loads of boost with lots of potential if needed.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Tongue Ecosse Opcon supercharger kit value? Thomo6 24 4,796 23-09-2014, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Stef205
  Supercharger stall? Niall 6 1,491 06-05-2014, 05:08 AM
Last Post: Grant