Changing Glow Plugs?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing Glow Plugs?
Hey everyone. Had a fault code reader on my car today. It said there was a faulty glow plug. No we deleted the car turned it off and back on and it came straight back.

How easy is it to remove glow plugs? Looks easy but I heard they can get stuck. Any suggestions for tips for changing them? Hopefully will be getting some new Bosch ones tomorrow Smile

Cheers everyone Smile 
Thanks given by:
Soak them in penetrating fluid overnight.

What was the actual code though? It might mean the coolant heater plugs which are always knackered these days... lol
Thanks given by:
P0380 glow plug / heater circuit A

Not a clue what that means really specifically haha. What are coolant heater plugs?? Like glow plugs but for the coolant?
Thanks given by:
I'd give the relay a check first and if it is make sure the feed is getting to the glow plugs.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Makes sense haha. Will have a look. Is there a way of checking it using a voltmeter as I didnt think they came on unless it was like below 0c??
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2015, 11:13 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: P0380 glow plug / heater circuit A

Not a clue what that means really specifically haha. What are coolant heater plugs?? Like glow plugs but for the coolant?

Circuit a is the engine plugs I think, but it could be wiring or the relay as poodle says. You can check the relay with a multimeter but that's not my area lol.

The coolant heater is literally 4 glowplugs stuck in a coolant hose so warm the cabin heater and engine more quickly. Smile
Thanks given by:
Ahhh fair enough Smile will have a mess with it tonight Smile cheers guys
Thanks given by:
The glow plugs will come on regardless of temperature, it just never shows you the light because it doesn't need them to start.

Check the relay with the continuity or resistance setting on your multimeter - apply voltage and check it's giving out voltage where it should be. Most have diagrams on top of the relay detailing the type and pin outputs.

Meant to say before, when you put the new glow plugs in i'd put a dab of copper slip on the threads and be careful not to over-tighten them.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Poodle you say about putting copper slip on the threads but isn't that a bad thing to do because of the head being aluminium?

I know it says to use copper slip in the Haynes manual but that's also been wrong on so many other things to.
Thanks given by:
Why, what makes you say that? The idea is to stop them seizing in the head.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
You're not 'supposed' to use copper grease on brake pads either with ally calipers. It reacts with the ally so should use aluminium graphite grease now....whether anyone does or not I don't know.
Thanks given by:
The plugs will come out easier if the engine is warm/hot too.
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
That's a good shout too. ^^^

See now we were told we stopped using copper slip because it's too abrasive for ally calipers, not because it reacts, i wonder which is the real reason... Might have to do a bit of research for that one.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
copper grease is abrasive, especially when it dries up, so a massive nono on sliders, use red brake grease on brakes.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
I use silicone grease on my sliders.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, that's exactly how i understood it too. Having done a quick bit of reading i'm going to stick to my guns on that one, i certainly know the only glowplugs i've had out with ease have all been copper slipped up. Smile
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
So what would I be best using? Aluminium graphite grease? Where even sells it. I have looked on eurocarparts and halfords and at the farm store near me and none of them have it :/
Thanks given by:
(30-01-2015, 07:48 PM)JTaylor2005 Wrote: So what would I be best using? Aluminium graphite grease? Where even sells it. I have looked on eurocarparts and halfords and at the farm store near me and none of them have it :/

I honestly never used anything the 2 times I changed them in mine and I never had any issues getting them out, but I did always have the engine warm/hot when I did it. Just don't over tighten them.
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
Ah fair enough, my brain mixing up 2 separate facts lol. In that case you can use copper grease on glowolug threads.

Red rubber grease for slidersfor me also.
Thanks given by:
When I google changing glow plugs whats all this about using some sort of reamer or something haha? :S
Thanks given by:
I didn't know TOWIE made a glowplug guide?

Seriously though, a reamer is just a tap basically, it cleans out the threads.
Thanks given by:
maybe to clean out any carbon build up on the hole....post a pic of the glow plug for easy explanation.......it bet the tip end of the plug body is a smaller diameter than the threaded part, with the element, a smaller diameter again, else how the hell does it fit in the hole.....taper seal?

if there is a carbon build up in the "hole" then this will make fitting difficult?  and/or damage the fragile heating element, the bit that glows.......

as to copper grease......I have seen a table somewhere that shows electrolytic ? action between different metals....will try and find and post if its relevant.

I use copper grease for pad metal backing contact areas as well as general chassis bolts etc.....and red rubber grease for the brake hydraulics etc as its safe to use with the "rubber parts" ....mineral lub will make the rubber parts swell etc.
Thanks given by:
Not gonna lie I was expecting this to be like changing spark plugs lol. So do I now need a reamer as well haha? :S

And Aluminium grease not copper haha :S
Thanks given by:
Not really... Glowplugs tend to rust in, the reamer is to clear that rust out before fitting the new ones...I've never done that though. lol

It seems I confused myself and the copper grease shouldn't be used on moving parts (like brake sliders) so static threads of a glowplug will be alright.
Thanks given by:
Okie dokie. Well I can just go for it and see what happens lol. The car isn't needed or relied on yet so if it all goes to crap then I will have time to sort it. I could just use a drill bit very very carefully thats the same size as the hole?
Thanks given by:
Noooo! You don't want to remove the threads lol, what will you screw the plug into? Tongue
Thanks given by:
Well a reamer is just a finer drill. I wasn't going to use a drill to power it haha. Just put it in gently and turn it by hand. Am I cleaning the face that the plugs press against of the threads? Seems weird cleaning the thread or is the thread actually what seals them haha :S
Thanks given by:
There is much confusion here.....ffs just change the damn things and let's not mention drills and the like again lol
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
The proper ones fit right in the hole, they clean the rust out of the threads and take any carbon out of the thin heater end afaik. I wouldn't use a drill bit even for the carbon in case you drop it lol.
Thanks given by:
There's confusion because I Google stuff lol. So I don't need a reamer?
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  2.0 HDI Glow Plugs oilly shazilla 1 1,020 12-12-2014, 12:27 AM
Last Post: ConorTRG
  Glow plugs not staying on long enough stu9 7 2,149 17-01-2014, 07:24 AM
Last Post: Poodle
  Heater glow plugs 306 hdi Welshy_Pete 5 3,486 20-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Poodle