Gt2359v

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gt2359v
On a 2.1 running 25psi ish peak boost but not coming on boost until 2.5k revs. Now looking at the actuator( if its called that on a vnt) it sits afew mm off the stop screw. Is this right. Stop screw is about 3/4 turns out. Watching dum duke video it looks a lot in the same place but should the actuator be sitting on this when not running? Surely it should come on boost much earlier even my td04 came in before this.

I have tryd to move the screw in abit more so less threads are showing on the arm side. But its stuck so had to leave it how it is for time been
TD04 11mm Sedan, now 2.1 vnt

Sedan Project http://306oc.co.uk/forum/thread-5763.html

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
China 5dr '6 Death by cambelt failure
Matt White HDI estate Death by wiring
Sedan Dturbo aka triggers broom
Diablo estate Dturbo Living dead
Thanks given by:
This is the turbo fitted to the bmw 330D, so coming on boost at circa 2.5k probably not too far off the mark. On the 3ltr 6 pot it hits full boost around there.

Ignore me, I miss read the title, it's 2259 on 330d
Thanks given by:
Yeah it should be touching it the stop screw - but be extra careful, you can f*ck stuff up real bad if the stop screw is put in too far, high EMPs etc... If it's not been adjusted you're probably OK.

Is the actuator bracket bent?!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Well when I got the turbo the stop screw was not in so I put one off the old turbo dum dums engine. I don't look bent I will get some photos up and check it.

What are emps? Exhaust manifold pressure? Had a google but didn't seem to find a clear explanation

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2015, 11:10 PM)HDIkyle Wrote: Well when I got the turbo the stop screw was not in so I put one off the old turbo dum dums engine. I don't look bent I will get some photos up and check it.

What are emps? Exhaust manifold pressure? Had a google but didn't seem to find a clear explanation

Exhaust manifold pressure, when the vanes are shut make it only has a small place for the exhaust gases to go around, because there's not much room for them to flow round the hot side, it creates pressure in the pipe/manifold running up to it, you wanna get a emp gauge really with the vnt so you can see what's happening then you can play with the adjustment see if you can get it to spool lower down with out loads of back pressure.

Thanks given by:
What gauges have people radged on then?
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
I used this, was only meant to be temporary but just left it bolted to the dash.

Lash up Gauge
Thanks given by: silverzx
(26-01-2015, 03:47 PM)mr_fish Wrote: I used this, was only meant to be temporary but just left it bolted to the dash.

Lash up Gauge

Whats the max yours reads to? Thanked.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
Just looked on my ebay items

63mm Hydraulic Pressure Gauge Rear Entry 0-60 PSI

It's a bit 'in-you-face' but meh makes you keep an eye on it.
Thanks given by:
Yes it should sit on the stop screw. If you tighten up the actuator arm a little so it sits on the stop with no boost and it'll come on boost earlier.

If that still isn't boosting early enough you can let the stop screw out by a quarter or half a turn at a time.

As Ruan says don't have the stop screw too far out, a quarter turn makes a HUGE difference to where that turbo comes on boost but I had it running so the turbo was well on boost by 2000rpm.
Thanks given by:
But you need to have your ears open - too much and you'll run into surge and you can say goodbye to the turbo very quickly!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Ideally, leave the stop screw as standard for now

adjust the actuator to pull the vnt lever all the way to the stopscrew at 0psi boost

Fit an exhaust manifold pressure gauge - take a feed from the exhaust manifold somewhere before the turbo.

Monitor the relation between the emp whilst the turbo is spooling.

I think on the older gen 1 vnt you can expect to see up to 2x emp to inlet pressure ratio on spool - then ideally as close to 1:1 ratio as you can get when you hit target boost.

Maybe 1.5x emp over inlet pressure once target boost is made will be ok, but the further you let the ratio go up the more pressure you're putting on the turbo to make the requested pressure ratio.

What you really want to avoid is pinning a 60psi emp gauge on spool and having a high ratio of inlet to exhaust pressure ratio when on boost.

Just as bad is having surge on boost / throttle. So if the vnt comes in too early it tries to push more air through the head than it will flow and it surges back through the turbo - this is bad news for the turbo. Irrc on a standard head with something like a 2256v surge was around 25psi at 2k revs, but it will be heavily dependant on the turbo and its surge line. You could have a huge turbo that would surge trying to make 5psi at 4k revs becasue it is trying to shift so much air.

TLDR - get an emp gauge on and go from there
Thanks given by:
This is no boost engine off [Image: IMAG0755_zpscf104ab2.jpg]

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
Thanks given by:
Yeah you need to adjust the length of the actuator rod to pull the lever down to the stop screw - looks like you can adjust the actuator rod length with the knurled adjuster you can just about make out on the right side of your photo

careful if that stop screw has been messed with, and perhaps err on the side of caution in pulling it all the way down.
Thanks given by:
[Image: IMAG0755_zpscf104ab2.jpg]

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
Thanks given by:
I'd probably wind the stop screw in a turn to be on the very safe side and then undo the lock nut and wind the actuator arm so the VNT arm so it sits on the stop screw.
Thanks given by:
Ye will do. Does the pic work its not showing here

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
Thanks given by:
Yep works fine.
Thanks given by:
Got a feeling its stuck open. I can see the part of the arm that moves as its clean with a dirt line where it obviously sits closed. But I cannot budge it at all manually.

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
Thanks given by:
Has someone had the turbo apart since?

Looks like it's been put back together wrong.
Thanks given by:
Not apart. I took it off to put a stop screw in. Unbolted bracket moved it round then put it back

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
Thanks given by:
ping off the arm, and see if you can move it - should flap about with ease
Thanks given by:
The flap moves fine just the actuator that don't

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
Thanks given by:
Ah just the actuator rod is too short then, just undo the locknut and wind down the thumbscrew on the arm and you should be good to go.
Thanks given by:
give the actuator a good pump in and out either by hand or with a bike pump. at a full 25psi its got quite a bit of movement.

Kyle the offer is still there that If I am ever up by you or your down here I will give you a hand setting it up 100% again

If you take the clip off the actuator and then the actuator arm off can you move the vane leaver all the way to the stop? If so shorten the actuator arm a little bit.
If the vane lever itself doesn't go any nearer the stop then either something inside the turbo is stopping the vanes moving or the exhaust housing has moved relative to the CHRA somehow
Thanks given by:
Ye the arm moves both ways fully to stop so I must have moved the arm when I had it off. Just not getting much time to mess with it atm

Provence Dturbo Dead
Blaze 1.6 Dead
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GT2359V safe/sensible boost Dum-Dum 13 4,974 07-09-2014, 04:13 PM