revs dropping. like misfire.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
revs dropping. like misfire.
Hi. 
Hoping someone can help.  Got a 306 hdi and every now and then when you start car if you let it idle the revs will drop and almost cutout.  It's like it's misfiring. A couple of times I have had to keep revs up for a bit as it was cutting out. 

Thanks 

Kris
Thanks given by:
Could be fuel pressure regulator.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Alright will have a look at that. Could it be anything to do with power (as in enough getting to injectors) as it does it when first started and is worse if not start for couple of days. Thanks
Thanks given by:
Can't see why tbh, what are the chances of getting it on diagnostics?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I'm going to get a pp2000 this week sometime so will be able to soon hopefully.
Thanks given by:
Could be air in the fuel lines or (unlikely as HDi's shouldn't need them) bad glow plugs?
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
Mine also does this occasionally not to the point it cuts out though. Mine just fluctuates by 100rpm. A good rev always stops mine and I recently cleaned the tps and it stopped for a week (could be coincidence)
Thanks given by:
Exact issues I have, has never cut out but revs fluctuate.

Haven't found the issue yet.
Thanks given by:
It won't be air in the fuel as it's a pressurised system. Won't be glow plugs either, not sure how they'd cause cutting out..?

Will have to keep us updated, looks like there are a lot of people who could use a solution. lol

I'd be looking at the electricals as there's very little we can do to test the mechanical components on the fuel system ourselves. TPS is a good shout, definitely worth giving it a clean up.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Bad glow plugs might cause bad idle and near cutouts when it's cold if it can't fire properly, but as I said it's unlikely as its a HDi anyway.
Current Car: Lexus CT200h 1.8 138, 2013, 19,500 miles
Previous Car: VW Passat 2.0 TDi 140, 2005, 136,000 miles
Previous Car: Peugeot 306 XLdt (stock!), 150,000 miles (I miss this car Sad)
Thanks given by:
(27-01-2015, 12:08 PM)andywhy Wrote: Bad glow plugs might cause bad idle and near cutouts when it's cold if it can't fire properly, but as I said it's unlikely as its a HDi anyway.

Mine still does it even after a 100 mile drive back along.

Once you get back on the road it'll drive fine.

One thing I did have a while ago was a TPS fault, random EML came on while driving.

Read and cleared the code and it hasn't flashed up since, though I probably should of used the PP2000 measurement feature for the throttle pedal.

Just my experience.
Thanks given by:
Fair enough, didn't twig it would cause issues, but now i think about it i see what you mean.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Sorry taken so long to reply.

Thanks for all answers I will have to have a look at what has been said so far. I will keep the thread updated though. Hopefully I can sort it out. I don't cut out often only when left for few days not being used. Using normally everyday I will get revs dropping ect every now and then.
Thanks given by:
I have managed to stop the idle dropping and cutting out as was getting annoying. I put new earth from battery to body and engine to body. Started car and idle is steady so hopefully that has sorted it. Will have to test throughout the week. Fingers crossed Smile
Thanks given by:
I have to admit I have always thought that the earths on these cars look a little weak considering that they have 150A alternators. The cables look capable of carrying about 80A haha. My corsa and 1l fiesta 2014 both have much better earthing connections than this pug haha
Thanks given by:
Having just cleaned my earths up its made no difference to my car revving up and down on idle haha -_-
Thanks given by:
I cleaned my earths up about a month ago and also added a battery to chassis and engine to chassis earth and made no difference
Thanks given by:
Seems to have sorted mine, which I'm happy about. don't know what could be causing yours then. Hopefully you can find solution.
Thanks given by:
Probably the throttle position sensor as that seems to go on most of them by the sounds of it. Its good that urs was such a cheap fix though haha. No doubt others may have same problem with same fix as you
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Engine revs dropping when braking scfc_151 9 2,608 24-05-2016, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Ruan
  "mystery misfire" Magenta Sunset 12 2,127 06-10-2015, 10:02 AM
Last Post: Magenta Sunset
Question EML, high idle, revs taking time to drop??? highwayman306 13 2,893 07-08-2015, 06:41 PM
Last Post: highwayman306