2nd Thoughts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd Thoughts
Currently having a mare.

As some of you will be aware I recently started driving again and got myself a Y plate 5 door Hdi for £450 with Mot til May. I had to have discs and pads all round, crank pulley, back box and driveshaft seal along with 2 front tyres, so as of 3 months ago the car owes me £950. However since buying we have decided to expand my streetfood business which means a lot more stuff to be carried and trailers to be towed.

The question is, do I swap the current 306 for an estate (any takers?), live with what I have and almost turn it into a van version of a 306 hatch, or sell it on and take a chance on a new car?

Whilst I have only had it 3 months, I have got used to it's foibles and having spent money on basics, don't want to start from scratch worrying about a new vehicle.

Thoughts?
Mechanic in the 90's
Chef in the noughties
Now just pissing about with catering
Thanks given by:
I'd personally sell it

Get a lovely new van on lease hire and claim back the payments against your tax at the end of the year.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
Put a flatbed in the back of your current one and use it as a van, worked fine for me lol. Didn't use it commercially mind, but could get a surprising amount in, although naturally the estates have more room. The hatches are fine at towing too. Personally i'd keep it, better the devil you know, but there's bound to be someone interested in a swap if you really need the extra load capacity.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
If it'll suffice for now I'd keep it till the MOT and use the MOT pass/fail/advisories to make a decission
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2015, 07:40 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: If it'll suffice for now I'd keep it till the MOT and use the MOT pass/fail/advisories to make a decission

Exactly what i'd do. If it passes, i'd keep it simply because of the work you have had done and knowing it's a decent motor. 
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2015, 07:26 PM)Poodle Wrote: Put a flatbed in the back of your current one and use it as a van, worked fine for me lol. Didn't use it commercially mind, but could get a surprising amount in, although naturally the estates have more room. The hatches are fine at towing too. Personally i'd keep it, better the devil you know, but there's bound to be someone interested in a swap if you really need the extra load capacity.

That was my thinking, then black out out the rear windows and chuck some 206 gti seats in the front (is that possible)

My mechanic is a cool guy and says it will fly through the MOT in May and to be fair I have become quite attached to the old girl in the 3 months I've had her.

So subject to maybe uprated shocks to cope with trailers it should last a couple of years, and when organised properly it holds as much as our Bipper van that we also have
Mechanic in the 90's
Chef in the noughties
Thanks given by:
It is possible to fit them, but iirc you'll end up sat rather high in the car. Awesome seats though, ideal if you're vertically challenged. Wink
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(23-01-2015, 07:18 AM)Poodle Wrote: It is possible to fit them, but iirc you'll end up sat rather high in the car. Awesome seats though, ideal if you're vertically challenged. Wink

I first learnt to drive tractors back in the day so tend to sit high and back as a default anyway. Are they easy to fit or do I need to butter up someone on here to do it for me?

(22-01-2015, 07:13 PM)7057sam Wrote: I'd personally sell it

Get a lovely new van on lease hire and claim back the payments against your tax at the end of the year.

Much as I would love a shiny new van, the other half doesn't drive and would kill me to be seen in one Undecided
Mechanic in the 90's
Chef in the noughties
Thanks given by:
Not sure about easy to fit, never looked into it myself.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
They are bloody huge in a 306. Look really out of place but if you don't care about that, they will fit with a small amount of welding Smile
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(23-01-2015, 08:46 AM)chylledapps Wrote:
(23-01-2015, 07:18 AM)Poodle Wrote: It is possible to fit them, but iirc you'll end up sat rather high in the car. Awesome seats though, ideal if you're vertically challenged. Wink

I first learnt to drive tractors back in the day so tend to sit high and back as a default anyway. Are they easy to fit or do I need to butter up someone on here to do it for me?

Much as I would love a shiny new van, the other half doesn't drive and would kill me to be seen in one Undecided

I know nothing about fitting seats but im always down for a buttering
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(24-01-2015, 12:22 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote:
(23-01-2015, 08:46 AM)chylledapps Wrote:

I know nothing about fitting seats but im always down for a buttering

Buttering is fine, but as a chef I only use unsalted Tongue

Have found some decent new seats online, and have decided to tint the rear windows and make it a car derived van. Anyone got experience with tinting companies?
Mechanic in the 90's
Chef in the noughties
Thanks given by:
Tinted windows are illegal buddy Sad
[Image: 17b33c2a-8471-4313-992e-0a4b324cf926_zps2e63812a.jpg]
Team Cyril
Thanks given by:
(24-01-2015, 07:21 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Tinted windows are illegal buddy Sad

No there not? Rear windows can practically be as dark as you like, front are below a limit that I can't remember. THINK it's 20%
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Fronts are usually factory tinted close to the limit anyway.

Don't think theres any limit on rear tints, loads of car derived vans about.
Thanks given by:
(24-01-2015, 07:21 PM)Matt-Rallye Wrote: Tinted windows are illegal buddy Sad

Having looked into it I can take the rear windows to 5% which is limo dark, looking to do 15% but as rear only it is good for the legal side

This is the seat I am now looking at, for the amount of times there is a passenger they can have the original seat, this is about me and my comfort.

http://www.sportseats4u.co.uk/sparco-r50...d_509.html
Mechanic in the 90's
Chef in the noughties
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thoughts on mk1 mx5 Jtrigga 34 11,285 18-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Last Post: Razorback_Rob