Tap and Die Set

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tap and Die Set
Needing a tap and die set more and more for all sorts.

In two minds whether to get:

1) a massive 110 piece set for around £50 (obviously made of choc choc) which will have EVERYTHING I'll ever need
2) a decent Clarke set for around £40 and build up with additional ones as and when they're required
3) a massive 110 piece set for around £110 and be done with it

So something like this:

1) www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371201348806

2) https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ...ap-die-set

3) www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191276145296 , www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141541431604 ,
3) My fav: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390534470732

Basically it'll be used as a one off for a large M16 thread then after that usually M8, M10 for turbo related stuff and probably M6 or similar for attaching some side skirts to my Nissan.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
[Image: signature.png]
Thanks given by:
ive never had any luck with any cheap set. Definitely dont buy cheap.
Thanks given by:
I got a set for 20 quid from my local nut and bolt place, has done a fine job for me so far.
Thanks given by:
id prob just buy high quality individuals of the ones you need and buy as and when to build up a collection - they are a proper pita if they snap in something you are trying to thread, and can be an absolute pig to get out.
Thanks given by:
As above tbh, that clarke set will probably cover 80% of your needs, add a couple of larger ones and the usual bsp and npt and you'll be away.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Thing is it's like £6 a pop if not more for one tap.. Not exactly inexpensive when needing new ones, espically when you don't know for certain what pitch the threads are.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by:
I have a clarke one and broken a few of teh dies.
I bought some taps from aldi and they came with teh drills too which is handy.
Aldi or lidl had an offer on a couple of weeks back for a tap and die set which was reasonable. Dunno about M16 tho.
Thanks given by:
Aye, and for the two or three extras in that larger set that you'll actually use it effectively works out as about £20 a tap, bargain...

I picked up a blue point set on offer recently, can't remember how much it was, but it's lifetime guaranteed, definitely cheaper than that bigger one you listed, has a similar range to that clarke one with two of the most common npt and bsp sizes and a thread gauge added in.

Also, when buying new taps and dies, why can't you just measure the thread pitch that you want to cut, rather than guessing and hoping?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I have a sealey set, covers most things I need, used it to tap a required thread in my Audi gearbox. Also got matching helicoil set, highly recommended
Thanks given by:
I have a small sealey or clarke or similar set that cost about £15 and has M4-M12 taps and dies plus the holders and a thread pitch gauge. I've had it for 5+ years and never had an issue and the only stuff I've had to buy to add to it are a couple of BSP taps and M12x1.25 which is the peugeot wheel bolt thread as standard M12 is M12x1.5

I wouldn't go for a big set as you are highly unlikely to use 90% of it. If I were gonna buy another set it would be a relatively limited set but one that came with primary, secondary and butt taps and the appropriately sized tap drill.

If you are just tapping out a hole that has previously had a thread in it then cheap taps are fine, people f*ck taps by trying to force them to cut, turn them forward a quarter turn tops and then turn it back by an 8th. Also WD40 is a tappers friend.
Thanks given by:
Yeh as above really, buy quality sets you don't want a tap snapping off in a hole.

That said, I took the risk and bought a super cheap M3-M14 tap and die set for £20 on ebay, and have never had an issue. I dont use it often but when I do I'm really really cautious with it, and usually only use it on mild steel. For a 'one off' hole for a small project they can be great but have always been prepared or it to fail.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2015, 07:51 PM)Dum-Dum Wrote: I have a small sealey or clarke or similar set that cost about £15 and has M4-M12 taps and dies plus the holders and a thread pitch gauge. I've had it for 5+ years and never had an issue and the only stuff I've had to buy to add to it are a couple of BSP taps and M12x1.25 which is the peugeot wheel bolt thread as standard M12 is M12x1.5

Very handy too know as I have one wheel bolt thread that has pulled bit of thread
Thanks given by:
M16 ? For the oil feed by chance ?
Just mention it as I'm looking at M16 to AN adapters on ebay.
Thanks given by:
Cheers boys, will probably go for the Clarke set or similar then.

Na, not the oil feed Nominous.
Supercharged GTi6 Build
S14 Zenki Build
Thanks given by: