Fuel gauge accuracy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel gauge accuracy
Question 
Hi all. I've got a stage 1+ HDI and basically, the fuel low light was in before I refuelled and I put in £20 which gave me just under half a tank, I've now done 210 miles and its reading just under quarter tank. My driving consists of mainly motorways and dual carriageways with the odd but if town driving. I've been driving like my gran haha sitting ~70mph and due to the snow, 50-60 yesterday. Just wondering if this works out right or is the gauge reading wrong?
Thanks given by:
I find it drops the next day. I normally get well happy thinking im getting mega mpg's until it setlles down to where it should be lol

I average ~600miles/tank mixture of roads
How is the car anyway? 
Thanks given by:
Sounds a bit out to me but you never know
If I fill up my HDI with £20 from the start of the red light it usually goes 3/4 of the way between 1/4 and 1/2 full
210 in these temps out of £20 and still having near 1/4 tank seems too good to be true imo
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2015, 11:25 PM)Iceman299 Wrote: I find it drops the next day. I normally get well happy thinking im getting mega mpg's until it setlles down to where it should be lol

I average ~600miles/tank mixture of roads
How is the car anyway? 

Lol yep I'm anticipating that in the morning haha Wink the cars got a few niggles but nowt I can't sort, was hoping to get it sorted before I had to use it but hey ho can win em all. Loving the boost Smile but already starting to hanker for more "POWER" haha just gonna sort the issues it had at the moment, tidy it up and take it from there.
Having a chance to get time to do owt on the car would be amazing at the moment Sad
Loving it though, pleased with it.

(21-01-2015, 11:28 PM)MY95 Wrote: Sounds a bit out to me but you never know
If I fill up my HDI with £20 from the start of the red light it usually goes 3/4 of the way between 1/4 and 1/2 full
210 in these temps out of £20 and still having near 1/4 tank seems too good to be true imo

Yeah that's about where it went to when I put £20 in, it was between quarter and the red before I set off at 177 miles but I find when I'm cruising on the motorway that the gauge rises a little...fuel pressure? I had the same with my 1.6 estate. I'm going to put some fuel in in the morning anyway, don't fancy a 30 mile drive hoping the gauge is right hahaha
Thanks given by:
Well as an update, the fuel gauge was being maybe a little optimisticWink but still impressed I had covered 210 miles since putting £20 in and I put £20 back in this morning and the gauge went back to 3/4 of the way between 1/4 and 1/2 tank so Yep roughly 210 miles on £20, not too shabby I must say Wink
Thanks given by:
£20 is a 3rd of a tank, the gauges are rubbish. Wink
Thanks given by:
fuel level seems to rise slightly with motorway driving?

sustained highish speed so engine using power and producing more heat, fuel is heated by the eng cooling system and then the return to the tank is cooled by the little "rad" under the car, so fuel temp goes up a bit in the tank and expands???

never had the low fuel warning ligh come on so don't know if it even works?

she seems to be a bit sluggish starting in these cold temps the past few days, 5 compressions instead of the usual 4, and clatters for the first 1 to 2 seconds then goes sweet again......its the cold I think........is winter diesel being sold now ( for some time I feel ) at the pumps?

she seems to be doing 60ish mpg with local driving ( no motorways here ) ....
Thanks given by:
More likely it's because the fuel isn't sloshing around in the tank on the motorway like it is on twisty roads, which makes the sender (and thus guage) drop down a little.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
A peugeot 306 fuel gauge is approximately as accurate at measuring fuel level as licking your finger and holding it up in the air is at measuring wind speed and direction.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fuel gauge randomness Piggy 14 3,612 04-12-2017, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Piggy
  Fuel Gauge Not Working - Ideas? 328isport 3 1,327 02-10-2016, 03:23 PM
Last Post: fatlapit
  206 hdi fuel gauge warning light fault... Piggy 8 2,197 27-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Toms306