Bluetooth Handsfree

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bluetooth Handsfree
So I'm after a 'wired in' bluetooth handsfree for the car. I'm not keen on any of this visor mount gubbins. I've had a scout around the internet but wanted to see if anyone here has experience with/can recommend a particular unit.

The most common model springing up at the moment is the Parrot MKi9100. 

Specifications;

-Needs to be able to be concealed
-Must have audio streaming
-Preferably have a display, but not imperative.

Do your worst Smile
[Image: car-1.jpg]

Member of the 99% warning or you're nothing club

2000 Moonstone 1.8 Meridian - Sold
2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
If doing audio streaming would it not be better to get a head unit that support hands free kit which is likely to have better audio quality than it would be to get a hands free which is more orientated to the narrow frequencies of voice and lack of resolution that is needed for that.
Just don't see a hands free kit having a particularly good amp and ability to reproduce sounds from far below to far above the vocal range as you'd commonly get the hands free to plug directly to the speakers and switch them from the HU amp.

Or if it's your intention to use the line out from the hands free and plug that into the HU with a HU that supports switching sources via external input ?
Thanks given by:
As above, I've got a entry level Pioneer headunit with Parrot Bluetooth built in and it works just as well as the "proper" Parrot kit in my missus car - I think hers is the Mk9100i or the previous variant of it.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
That would be an option, but my dash looks as below, which would look gash with an aftermarket head unit. Hence the decision of a handsfree option. My fault for not mentioning lol

[Image: instrument_panel.jpg]

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
In that case, something like a Parrot Mk9100 would work well - certainly I can't fault the quality/clarity/functionality of the one in my missus car, and to be honest even playing music through it doesn't sound too bad.
1990 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1991 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 16v // 1992 Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9 // 1999 Peugeot 306 HDi Estate
Thanks given by:
This has actually caught my eye. Its considerably cheaper than the Parrok MKi9100 (coming it at ~£35.00) and has all the functions bar the screen. The only reason I can figure it's so cheap is due to its age maybe?

The IO Talk
[Image: io_talk.jpg]

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
The lack of screen would make it a non-starter to me, same as the cheap Parrot's.

I guess it wouldn't be a major issue if the phone was in a cradle on the dash so you could see the screen and thus who was calling or what number you're dialling, but I just leave the phone in my pocket and hence need a screen to make the handsfree vaguely useful.

That's why I ended up going down the headunit route - get bluetooth with screen, a half decent stereo with USB etc, and paid just £60 for it in a half price sale, plus about a tenner that I picked up the module and cable to make the remote stalk work. That's fine on a 205/306 dash, but clearly would look completely out of place on yours.

Whilst I've no experience of that unit you're looking at, the one other thing I'll say is that not too bluetooth things are created equally and there's a reason why Parrot seem to have a good reputation - some of the others are utterly dreadful! Friend had a few year old Alpine with their add in bluetooth module and it was terrible, utterly terrible, with really bad echoing no matter what you did and a poor interface that took ages to sync and allow you to actually make a call.
Thanks given by:
Is there no OEM retrofit you can do? (I noticed the phone symbols on the HU)
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2015, 10:52 AM)powerandtorque Wrote: The lack of screen would make it a non-starter to me, same as the cheap Parrot's.

I guess it wouldn't be a major issue if the phone was in a cradle on the dash so you could see the screen and thus who was calling or what number you're dialling, but I just leave the phone in my pocket and hence need a screen to make the handsfree vaguely useful.

That's why I ended up going down the headunit route - get bluetooth with screen, a half decent stereo with USB etc, and paid just £60 for it in a half price sale, plus about a tenner that I picked up the module and cable to make the remote stalk work. That's fine on a 205/306 dash, but clearly would look completely out of place on yours.

Whilst I've no experience of that unit you're looking at, the one other thing I'll say is that not too bluetooth things are created equally and there's a reason why Parrot seem to have a good reputation - some of the others are utterly dreadful! Friend had a few year old Alpine with their add in bluetooth module and it was terrible, utterly terrible, with really bad echoing no matter what you did and a poor interface that took ages to sync and allow you to actually make a call.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'll have a deeper look into parrot. Its not too much of an issue with the screen for me, but more-so the ability to use the phone whilst driving.

(22-01-2015, 10:58 AM)JJ0063 Wrote: Is there no OEM retrofit you can do? (I noticed the phone symbols on the HU)

There is yes. But they are few and far between, and used, sell for about £350.

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:
What car and model is it ?
And the head unit type is there is a varient ?
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2015, 02:43 PM)nominous Wrote: What car and model is it ?
And the head unit type is there is a varient ?

2003 Jaguar S-Type.

Yes there are variants of the head unit. There is a Navigation option, but to retrofit costs about £600, plus dealer level activation of the CANBUS system. As mentioned there is a Bluetooth option from factory, but they surface on ebay, used, for circa £350, and again could need dealer level activation.

2000 China 3dr XS - Dead
1998 Diablo 3dr XSI
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phone boffins required - Android Bluetooth pairing in car. Ian 19 4,268 19-02-2012, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Connor