1998 Black GTI6 - Essex

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1998 Black GTI6 - Essex
Morning Guys,

Had a GTI6 delivered to me last night, needs some work, but in the dark it looked good.

Is a P2 1998 'R', non-sunny.

Not sure whether it's a breaker or a fixer.

Need to get to the weekend so I have some light and time, get my head in it and see what's going on.

At the moment it doesn't drive, there is a problem with the gearbox, but could be something like a linkage (here's hoping).

Anyone in the Essex area breaking a 3dr 306 at the moment?

I also need a drivers window ASAP.

Pics to follow at the weekend, thanks, Michael
Thanks given by:
Nice to see another local member

Here hoping it's a gear linkage.miles does some strengthen ones which make it feel like a new box.
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
I'm hoping it's linkages too, had some from Miles before and they were sooo much better than standard.

If it's the box then so be it, I'll just have to whip it out and replace, check shafts and bearings too.
Thanks given by:
Ah cool

If need any spares.There's a guy in thetford which breaks gti6 and xsara vts,allways pretty decent with price and posts stuff next day.
Thanks given by:
Yeah I've noticed him on eBay.

Will get pics up on here this weekend, it's filthy at the moment with glass everywhere
Thanks given by:
Have replaced the smashed drivers window. Then thought I'd check the rest out.

Now know why it ha le no drive. At first it looked like a broken pass driveshaft. Open the bonnet to see the engine hanging awkwardly. The gearbox mount had been taken out.

The stud on top of the gearbox has snapped. So I need a new box, plus a pass shaft.

Debating on what it's gonna cost and is it worth it
Thanks given by:
Just had a quick look on ebay there's a company that recon them for 295 or second hand boxes are between 150-250.

If you want I can put thread up on 306gti.com to see if there's any second hand ones going as usually cheaper that ebay and more trust worthy.
Thanks given by:
Cheers Sam, just put a thread up on wanted section over there.

Just calculating what potential costs are for it all
Thanks given by:
Is the box damaged at all? Just change the stud if not!
Thanks given by:
(24-01-2015, 05:55 PM)Toms306 Wrote: Is the box damaged at all?  Just change the stud if not!

Was just thinking that new rubber mount and threaded stud,job a good en,definitely worth a shot.

So does it not drive or just makes a bloody weird noise when you do?(Because you engine hanging on by 2 mounts)
Thanks given by:
I'd imagine the driveshaft seized and ripped the box off the mount tbh, the studs are pretty thick so theres gotta be some serious force to snap it!
Thanks given by:
Where the stud goes into the top of the box (and has the circular plate) it's snapped, the metal round where the stud screws in is mangled. Still have the stud, but box is damaged on top
Thanks given by:
Oh right, that's not good then. Did they say how it happened?
Thanks given by:
This project fell apart too quickly.

I priced up the parts needed to get it fixed with the intention of having it sorted later this month.
However, the guy I was buying the parts from offered to buy it from me.
Any money I made would've been about the same as fixing it then selling it, wasn't much.

Onto the next project, sorry for it being so short lived
Thanks given by: 7057sam
So has the guy bought it off you?
Thanks given by:
(03-02-2015, 11:33 AM)Silky Wrote: This project fell apart too quickly.

I priced up the parts needed to get it fixed with the intention of having it sorted later this month.
Any money I made would've been about the same as fixing it then selling it, wasn't much.

Ahh no,is it the guy in thetford ?

Hopefully he will get it back on the road.
Thanks given by:
(03-02-2015, 01:51 PM)7057sam Wrote:
(03-02-2015, 11:33 AM)Silky Wrote: This project fell apart too quickly.

Ahh no,is it the guy in thetford ?

Hopefully he will get it back on the road.
Yep its not a bad shell actually, probably swap the engine and box complete as i have a couple laying here :-)
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Black GTi6 306gtiparts 53 16,208 22-06-2015, 02:14 PM
Last Post: 306gtiparts
  Black GTi6 friar241 45 8,936 17-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Last Post: friar241