Bmw E46 Diesel Project

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bmw E46 Diesel Project
Sorry for still hijacking Tom! At least it's still semi-OT

What LSD are you actually going for?
[Image: Ty8kl7b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I think just the quaiffe so fit and forget, I'm not using the 330d as a performance platform now, that's why I bought the 6 to take my anger out on lol, but I used to have an s14a and would like to kick her out when the mood arises lol. I work really close to birds so can just drop the car off there and pick up later that day Smile
http://www.birdsauto.com/quaife/search?m...69&mi=330d

Also cos mine is so torquey, it just wants to spin up a wheel and cut power when low down, so hoping this will transform it
Thanks given by:
(22-01-2015, 05:26 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Sorry for still hijacking Tom! At least it's still semi-OT

That's fine mate nice to see some other e46ers lol

Have you done anything with ncs expert yet Danny? Gonna guess you'd be good with that sorta thing Smile

Where'd you get the info on the turbos on these mate?

Waiting for payday to come round with my bonus so I can buy some toys for it, not sure what together first though
Thanks given by:
I'm curious if the gt2260v can fit with little complications. ....that's the 330D turbo
Thanks given by:
Took some of the plastic off of the engine today and had a bit of a poke around the turbo, it's definitely got a vac controlled Garrett on there but I'm not too sure which one, hopefully someone on here can identify it.

Had a check of all the connections just to make sure it's not got any leaks and it seems good so hopefully I can get on with finding the right turbo for it now

[Image: 952de31e54d673c67a81813bf2c7c585.jpg]
[Image: 172217d9c62a577ad26d62bfba628032.jpg]
[Image: 11316cb75cd52515fbe4467d7a75f3a8.jpg]
[Image: ef52b34688566bb06d243962eeef1bd3.jpg]
[Image: db867c4406465f67b7dc66aa0ce596bc.jpg]
[Image: 1a5d59b3c23e8846595b65f3fd7c719b.jpg]
[Image: 1615243b4c431f6f7d9daea42698e191.jpg]
[Image: 486d8c68eccec997c984167e1c645588.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Looks good buddy. I must say since Ive had the saab im much more relaxed that I was driving the 306! Presume you also enjoy it more as a daily!
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2015, 04:28 PM)Eeyore Wrote: Looks good buddy. I must say since Ive had the saab im much more relaxed that I was driving the 306! Presume you also enjoy it more as a daily!

Yeah it's so much easier and relaxing to drive, can definitely tell it's meant for cruising the motorway, do need to take the 6 out for a spin at some point soon though
Thanks given by:
Turbine blade looks a bit bent. I'll check my turbo, I'm pretty sure mines electronic actuator tho. Engine layout is exactly the same as the m57, just shorter by looks of it. Get an allard egr delete mate, I can't emphasise enough how much of a difference it made

[Image: b91da879297992b65b13acd0f470ce9e.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2015, 04:39 PM)todd1983 Wrote: Turbine blade looks a bit bent. I'll check my turbo, I'm pretty sure mines electronic actuator tho. Engine layout is exactly the same as the m57, just shorter by looks of it. Get an allard egr delete mate, I can't emphasise enough how much of a difference it made

Wouldn't surprise me tbh, there does seem to be a little bit of play side to side in the turbine. What year is yours Todd as I think they changed to electronic with the facelift

Didn't expect the EGR delete to make that much odds will have a look, where did you get it from, eBay?
Thanks given by:
http://www.allardmotorcompany.com/

Mine is a 2004
Thanks given by:
That's the compressor - doesn't look bent - that's the way they're shaped on some 6+6 compressors.

Side to side play is normal - that is taken up by the oil journal bearing under pressure - in and out play is a concern.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2015, 10:36 PM)Ruan Wrote: That's the compressor - doesn't look bent - that's the way they're shaped on some 6+6 compressors.

Side to side play is normal - that is taken up by the oil journal bearing under pressure - in and out play is a concern.

Good to know Smile couldn't feel any in and out play in it

Had much to do with these before ruan?
Thanks given by:
(23-01-2015, 11:37 PM)rocker8742 Wrote:
(22-01-2015, 05:26 PM)Midnightclub Wrote: Sorry for still hijacking Tom! At least it's still semi-OT

Have you done anything with ncs expert yet Danny? Gonna guess you'd be good with that sorta thing Smile

Waiting for payday to come round with my bonus so I can buy some toys for it, not sure what together first though

Haven't used NCS expert (it's installed), Is there anything specifically you want coding?

Mainly from forum trawling and eBay hunting, 136's appear to all be 1549v's and the 150's the 1749v's. The flange on the 330d (2259v?) looks very very similar though, adapters could be made worst case, although think they're electronically actuated so that could be a problem.

It depends what you want really.. they're a bit rolly' as stock but an M3 front ARB makes a good difference, you can pick up a full set of eibach springs for £160 and that helps loads too.
Thanks given by:
(25-01-2015, 10:40 PM)rocker8742 Wrote:
(25-01-2015, 10:36 PM)Ruan Wrote: That's the compressor - doesn't look bent - that's the way they're shaped on some 6+6 compressors.

Not really, from what I know of that engine it's basically as said, a 6cyl with 2 pots lopped off, EDC15 iirc for the 130hp ones?

That turbo will probably do 170-180hp but be torquey, not going to be a revver really unless you change it out. Keep an eye on cam chain tensioners etc, I know they're prone to failure as are the thermostats from memory, they don't heat up at all and cause shitty economy, though that may just be the 6cyl - I suspect the 4cyl uses the same thermostat, so probably suffers the same problem.

Keep up with oil changes, BMWs seem to have a right habit of sludging up their oil, I've seen a few 30d/20d engines have really nasty oil due to the very long servicing intervals, I'm sure it's technically OK, but the staining left inside the engines tells me I'd rather change it more often, the more modern PSA engines suffer the same thing due to servicing intervals going up - have a smell of the oil, if it really smells bad, then give it a flush with some ultra cheap stuff, get it really warm on the shitty oil then drop it, even do it twice if you can spend the £10-15 on some shit Asda oil then pop in some decent stuff and keep it to fairly short intervals.

The M57 (non-N) GT2256v/GT2556v (same shit, different part number) should fit that engine, it's vacuum actuated, though will need a remap to take any effect.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
(26-01-2015, 10:21 AM)Midnightclub Wrote:
(23-01-2015, 11:37 PM)rocker8742 Wrote:

Haven't used NCS expert (it's installed), Is there anything specifically you want coding?

Mainly from forum trawling and eBay hunting, 136's appear to all be 1549v's and the 150's the 1749v's. The flange on the 330d (2259v?) looks very very similar though, adapters could be made worst case, although think they're electronically actuated so that could be a problem.

It depends what you want really.. they're a bit rolly' as stock but an M3 front ARB makes a good difference, you can pick up a full set of eibach springs for £160 and that helps loads too.

Nothing specific as yet just interested to see how simple it can be,

I need to clean up the plate on the turbo and see exactly what it's got fitted tbh maybe go for something like a 2256v need to spend some time researching and speak to someone about mapping too

Could do with just taking a bit of the roll out of the suspension tbh, any ideas what the cheap coilies are like for these? Don't want to effect the rise of it too much just get it less boat like

(26-01-2015, 11:22 AM)Ruan Wrote:
(25-01-2015, 10:40 PM)rocker8742 Wrote:

Not really, from what I know of that engine it's basically as said, a 6cyl with 2 pots lopped off, EDC15 iirc for the 130hp ones?

That turbo will probably do 170-180hp but be torquey, not going to be a revver really unless you change it out. Keep an eye on cam chain tensioners etc, I know they're prone to failure as are the thermostats from memory, they don't heat up at all and cause shitty economy, though that may just be the 6cyl - I suspect the 4cyl uses the same thermostat, so probably suffers the same problem.

Keep up with oil changes, BMWs seem to have a right habit of sludging up their oil, I've seen a few 30d/20d engines have really nasty oil due to the very long servicing intervals, I'm sure it's technically OK, but the staining left inside the engines tells me I'd rather change it more often, the more modern PSA engines suffer the same thing due to servicing intervals going up - have a smell of the oil, if it really smells bad, then give it a flush with some ultra cheap stuff, get it really warm on the shitty oil then drop it, even do it twice if you can spend the £10-15 on some shit Asda oil then pop in some decent stuff and keep it to fairly short intervals.

The M57 (non-N) GT2256v/GT2556v (same shit, different part number) should fit that engine, it's vacuum actuated, though will need a remap to take any effect.

It's coming up for a service soon so will make sure I do that, thanks mate

Plan is to change to a bigger turbo and then get it mapped to take full advantage but only when it's running 100%
Thanks given by:
turbo doesn't look dissimilar to a 2256v

bolts on the comp housing for the vac solenoid look the same - and i bet the flanges are identical for exhaust mani and downpipe.

the gt2260v from the 330d is also a straight swap (gen 1, not the gen2 unit)
Thanks given by:
(26-01-2015, 06:09 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: turbo doesn't look dissimilar to a 2256v

bolts on the comp housing for the vac solenoid look the same - and i bet the flanges are identical for exhaust mani and downpipe.

Do you think the gt2260 would be well matched for the bottom end?
Thanks given by:
Well with 2 extra cylinders and another 1000cc it's on full boost by about 2.5k
Thanks given by:
(26-01-2015, 06:43 PM)rocker8742 Wrote:
(26-01-2015, 06:09 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: turbo doesn't look dissimilar to a 2256v

Do you think the gt2260 would be well matched for the bottom end?

hmmm, depends what your after

the turbine is a lot bigger on the 2260 than the 2256, so spools slower, but should be more flow happy up top
Thanks given by:
To be honest I'd be more inclined to go for something that will spool a little lower down but still have a bit up top
Thanks given by:
Think I'm gonna sell mine soon tbh
Thanks given by:
sounds ideal for my m52d25ol Big Grin
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2015, 06:44 PM)rocker8742 Wrote:
(21-01-2015, 09:48 AM)silverzx Wrote: How much did it set you back? Looks all reet!

Under a grand which is pretty good needs a little rust sorting out though

(21-01-2015, 10:00 AM)Midnightclub Wrote: E46 fwends!

I know what you mean about the bimmer forums 'just buy an m3' lol.

It's a totally different scene isn't it mate

(21-01-2015, 03:10 PM)zx_volcane Wrote: a few bolt on turbo options I think for this from other bmw, 2256v could be a goer - need to see about having it remapped as it is though, should see 175+ I would have thought on standard turbo.

Not sure what the next weekest link on the engine is in terms of 200+ bhp, but would be worth investigating if you can find any info

Could always go for something from a later BM and convert it to vacuum rather than electronic control

Only info I found so far is about the 330d which 'apparently' good for 400bhp on standard internals but I'm looking to see what I can find

(21-01-2015, 06:22 PM)procta Wrote: looking good rocker! I will be keeping an eye on this! has it got many extras? if not see if you can wire them in etc.

It's got a fair bit on it cruise control, parking sensors etc just need to upgrade to heated seats now lol

The early 330d's had vacuum controlled turbos ThumbsUp
Thanks given by:
Got a replacement MAF sensor through today so will get that fitted asap, boost gauge also turned up so I'll probably still and tap that into the EGR valve

It doesn't seem to be heating up too well, I assume it's supposed to get to 12 o'clock on the temp gauge? Mine only heats up to just above the blue unless it's sat for quite a while
Thanks given by:
EDIT: Wrong on all of this, it's not commonrail... It's VP44 pumped.
Thanks given by:
Thermostats seem to be a common item to go on most engined 46's mate, that's definitely where i'd be looking first. INPA would tell you more though as it gives you the output temp from the rad along with water temp before rad so you could see if it was stuck open.
Thanks given by:
Really should invest in INPA at this rate lol

Will have to see how much a genuine one is lol
Thanks given by:
The one that midnight linked previously has worked a treat for me. I now know that I need a glow control unit and 2 injectors serviced lol
Thanks given by:
Genuine thermostat or genuine INPA lol? INPA is a free program (unlike pp2k and other dealer software) so it's genuine out of the box, just need a cable that works, that one I linked is good enough and has an easy install process.

Completely invaluable though and has paid for itself many times over already! Cheaper than going for 1 diag session at BMW or most garages lol.
Thanks given by:
Lol I meant a genuine thermostat, thanks for the advice though will have to get it sooner rather than later
Thanks given by: