HDI Problem...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HDI Problem...
Hi all, I went to start my hdi on Saturday for a local meet, first time didn't start, second started fine but stop light came flashing on as well as the right hand side cooling fan? Would this be a sensor that I will need to clean or what else could it be? This came to the conclusion of me either to leave it being parked up or me taking it for a motorway thrashing drive even tho I don't thrash my cars, stop light still comes on regularly flashes three times then stops, I notice engine oil light comes on when I put the ignition on (never use to come on) I have checked engine oil and other fluids all seem fine, I know the car needs a service which I'm going to do later in the month.. Thanks
[Image: Cropped%20pic.png]
The Black PH3 Angel
Thanks given by:
(19-01-2015, 08:12 AM)Josh1994 Wrote: Hi all, I went to start my hdi on Saturday for a local meet, first time didn't start, second started fine but stop light came flashing on as well as the right hand side cooling fan? Would this be a sensor that I will need to clean or what else could it be? This came to the conclusion of me either to leave it being parked up or me taking it for a motorway thrashing drive even tho I don't thrash my cars, stop light still comes on regularly flashes three times then stops, I notice engine oil light comes on when I put the ignition on (never use to come on) I have checked engine oil and other fluids all seem fine, I know the car needs a service which I'm going to do later in the month.. Thanks

Probably the big loom connectors down on the right hand passenger side of the engine bay next to the radiator... Take them apart and clean them with contact cleaner and make sure it's all dry and put back together. Remove battery terminals before you do.

This is a fire risk if left, so be sharpish about fixing it.
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(19-01-2015, 10:27 AM)Ruan Wrote:
(19-01-2015, 08:12 AM)Josh1994 Wrote: Hi all, I went to start my hdi on Saturday for a local meet, first time didn't start, second started fine but stop light came flashing on as well as the right hand side cooling fan? Would this be a sensor that I will need to clean or what else could it be? This came to the conclusion of me either to leave it being parked up or me taking it for a motorway thrashing drive even tho I don't thrash my cars, stop light still comes on regularly flashes three times then stops, I notice engine oil light comes on when I put the ignition on (never use to come on) I have checked engine oil and other fluids all seem fine, I know the car needs a service which I'm going to do later in the month.. Thanks

Probably the big loom connectors down on the right hand passenger side of the engine bay next to the radiator... Take them apart and clean them with contact cleaner and make sure it's all dry and put back together. Remove battery terminals before you do.

This is a fire risk if left, so be sharpish about fixing it.

Thanks, I will look at it tomorrow, will leave the car parked up until this is fixed.
The Black PH3 Angel
Thanks given by:
Leaving it parked up isn't enough to avoid the fire risk, disconnect the battery of you're not going to do it immediately.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Yes ^^ This!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
(19-01-2015, 01:23 PM)Poodle Wrote: Leaving it parked up isn't enough to avoid the fire risk, disconnect the battery of you're not going to do it immediately.

I'm off work tomorrow so going to do it tomorrow, any idea whereabouts it is as I know ruan said it is down the right side of the engine, if I can't find it I may have to take it to the garage to get it done proper. Thanks guys.
The Black PH3 Angel
Thanks given by:
As Ruan says, passenger side of the engine bay next to the radiator, can't get much more specific than that without giving you measurements from other components. Do you know where to find the radiator?
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(20-01-2015, 06:42 AM)Poodle Wrote: As Ruan says, passenger side of the engine bay next to the radiator, can't get much more specific than that without giving you measurements from other components. Do you know where to find the radiator?

Not really a clue as it's my first time.. Will have a look now.. cheers guys.
The Black PH3 Angel
Thanks given by:
Massive rectangular silver thing at the very front of the engine bay, runs the full width and height of the engine bay, can't miss it.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Thanks for that guys, The solution was the radiator water, Now the fan doesn't come on but the stop light dose, I think it is time for a cambelt change and a service, I had done the power steering already but correct me that all is left is Oil filter change, fuel filter change and oil change and the air filter, is that all for the service as I think all they check is wipers tyres etc.
The Black PH3 Angel
Thanks given by:
Also was driving earlier and turned the steering wheel left to turn but something made a knocking noise near the driver side wheel.. anyone know what that is? I might have to take the wheel off to look further...
The Black PH3 Angel
Thanks given by:
Service:

Check operation of wipers, washers, lights and horn
Ensure all washer jets are clear and wipers clear screen
Check for play in suspension and steering joints inc. bearings
Check condition of discs and pads/drums and shoes
Check underside for signs of corrosion, inc. exhaust
Check all rubber boots and gaiters for damage or deterioration
Check fuel, coolant, oil and brake lines and hoses for damage and leaks
Change oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, cabin filter
Change oil and new sump bung washer
Check coolant strength, check gearbox oil and fill washer fluid
Clear scuttle panel and drains,  wipe down engine bay plastics
Check tyres for wear and damage, correct pressures
To reset service indicator:
With ignition off press and hold button on dash binnacle
Switch ignition to pos2 and continue to hold button
Dash will countdown from 10 to 0, release when complete

I think that's all of it...

Was it a regular knocking noise while you were turning tightly? If so, check out your outer cv joint on that side.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ok thanks poodle, I can most things myself and the car has bits already done.
The Black PH3 Angel
Thanks given by: