egt gauges?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
egt gauges?
Thoughts on these

Anything wrong with super cheap ebay ones?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGT-EXHAUST-T ... 1363wt_912

Has anyone actually ever had one disintegrate?
Thanks given by:
Wouldn't fancy trying it...

Probably very innaccurate and will just fall apart... Considering that gauges even from the "poverty" brands are still about £70-80... I really wouldn't trust those!
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
What he said ^^

From a tuning point of view, on a diesel the EGT gauge is pretty much the most important gauge, and at the end of the day, the last thing you want is half a egt probe going thro the turbine.....

Id man up and save up for a bit longer imo
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
darrenjlobb Wrote:What he said ^^

From a tuning point of view, on a diesel the EGT gauge is pretty much the most important gauge, and at the end of the day, the last thing you want is half a egt probe going thro the turbine.....

Id man up and save up for a bit longer imo

I've recently been looking at investing in an EGT gauge too...

Do you have any good experiences with a brand you would be able to recommend?

The Stack EGT Gauges are £119 delivered on eGay.
Captain Standard

Thanks given by:
Stack is what I've gone and bought... They're about the cheapest of the "good" brands tbh...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
Better start saving then
Thanks given by:
May sound like a stupid question but can you not put it just after the turbo for reassurance? Or do you need the reading specifically for the temp pre turbo.
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:
The entire point is to know what egts are right out the back of the motor, that way you know how much your abusing your head / turbo...

It cools quickly as it moves back through.
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
Remember a turbocharger operates on hot expanding gasses... By the time it's gone through the turbocharger and expanded, it's cooled significantly...

Post turbo is slower to respond and cooler than actuality, so you could be shoving 1100*c through your cylinder head and it'd only be registering 600 or so post turbo... You're melting the ally of your cylinder head and destroying the turbo, but everything is apparently fine post turbo...
Thanks given by:
Makes sense, cheers Darren and Ruan. I didn't realise there would be that much difference.
Supercharged XUD Project - Dead

HDi Cabby Project Click
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boost gauges & various other gauges Stevo-trendy 4 1,123 01-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Last Post: Tom