What to look for when you buy a hdi

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to look for when you buy a hdi
Basically what the title says really. I'm going to take a code reader with me as well as its local to my work and can pick up one on way through. But are there any specific HDI issues I should look out for. I know xuds like the back of my hand but would appreciate an input from here as well.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
You want Pug Planet on it really, code readers don't pick up much on the early HDis.

Tbh you just want to check it idles alright. And drives well without flat spots or stutters, pulls up to about 3.5k if standard and doesn't smoke too much if at all. Injectors will tick but as long as it stops at 3.2k it's normal. Probably be leaking oil and boost from all boost joints lol.

Make sure lift primes ok before you start and doesn't make any odd noises. Check the crank pulley isn't about to collapse and tale the cambelt with it.

Can check the oil and coolant but I've seen HDis running fine with not much of either lol, headgaskets are very rare on them.
Thanks given by:
and try a few heavy gear changes while accelerating hard, make sure clutch bearing doesnt squeal!
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
Our launch machine has never failed to pick up anything. Even does a global test as well! Should be ok for basics. Lift pump and crank pully. The clutch release bearing was one I was gonna check anyway. Having never really worked on the hdis I'm unsure. Saying that I've worked on 100s of 110 versions. Basically the same right? One of the first things ill do Is a 307 bottom pully and cambelt. We would ideally prefer an xud but it can always be converted.

Also the plonka has it up for way too much money for a short mot. So finding faults I could get a bargin Smile
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks given by:
Which reader do you use? The Snap on Solus at the local garage still misses certain faults on HDis! But should pick up anything basic as you say.

Release bearing is a good shout tbh, at that mileage its probably had a clutch kit done anyway though.

306s are easy to find faults on so that shouldn't be hard lol.
Thanks given by:
We use a launch machine. The snap on solus is what they call reverse engineered so they bring a car I get it to fault and record it. The launch company goes straight to manufacturer and buys there info. Its why our lanch cost more than the snap on kit. But that's off the subject to be fair. I'm sure ill find something. Its localish to you tom. Bramford road in Ipswich.
Thanks given by:
Ah, I haven't even heard of Launch tbf so fair enough.

Not really local lol, only just closer to me than it is you! Its not one I recognise though tbh, not at triple c car sales is it? One of my old college mates works there if so lol.
Thanks given by:
Is he a trader?
Thanks given by:
Don't think so.
Thanks given by:
He also has an astra for sale with a very similar description style. So make sure you give it a proper check over
Thanks given by:
I'll have a good look over it. Its not an issue. If his a trader in Ipswich chances are ill know someone that knows him!
Thanks given by:
We have a launch at work, dont find it that good tbh
Now we are using an Autel Maxisys, its tablet based and miles better than the launch kit.

Anyways, if its a major fault its likely to pick it up anyhow
Good luck mate. Its a bit daunting going from xud to a hdi but there is so much knowledge of them on here you'll find your way around most issues
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
We have a laptop based system on the way now. Launch is good but running out on modern stuff. New stuff was a lot of money. Cant wait to get it but its still on order Sad ill take it and have a look cant do any harm. Its my other half going from xud to hdi. If I had a hdi I would ditch the electrics and go mtdi anyway. But that's me.
Thanks given by:
Yeah i converted my last hdi to run an xud, best thing i ever done Wink
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Well it will be a year if I did for lus insurance. To be fair this might be a good excuse to have both as I will be insured on it too. Lol Smile
Thanks given by:
I don't know why people don't like HDi's tbh, just a few sensors and actuators at the end of the day, only complicated bit is ECU processing but someone else can deal with that on the rare occurrence it goes wrong lol. Don't need to run veg with diesel getting cheaper. Might even have a map that fits tbh...easier than XUD tuning then! lol
Thanks given by:
Might have to take ecu numbers down then. If you have a spare map Wink I don't dislike the hdi. I just prefer the xud. Because I deal with electrics all day and want something different.
Thanks given by:
I've accumulated quite a few maps over the years lol. Never had a T plate though so not sure what ECU numbers go back that far.
Thanks given by:
That was the biggest piece of crap hdi going. Didn't even need to drive it before I walked away. Dash was Lit up like a Christmas tree. Bumper grill hockey stick smashed. Rusty qing. Lacquer peel everywhere. Interior was a mess. The guy was like 550 is the lowest I would take then got offended when I told him it was worth next to nothing. His reply was well someone's offers to buy it for 600.
But he offered it to me for 550
Thanks given by:
Well that sucks!
Thanks given by:
Yeah. Never mind. Off to look at an xud this afternoon now.
Thanks given by:
So the f*cking bell end who's car we were looking at this afternoon aranged to meet us at two at his house. Then didn't answer his phone when we got there. Still won't. Knocked on a few houses to see who's it was. No ones ever seen the f*cking car. Um royally f*cking pissed off now.
Thanks given by:
You do seem to pick 'em!

Where was that one advertised? Another gumtree one?
Thanks given by:
Its a secret as its really nice example. Want it so bad! I've put messages up everywhere saying I want one. Just no one selling. Even got the cash waiting
Thanks given by:
Fair enough lol, hope you get it then!
Thanks given by:
So do I. Imma phone him again in a bit. Just cause his an arsehole doesn't stop me wanting the car
Thanks given by:
Shit sorry mate I totally forgot to pass your number on, are you still interested in the provence ph3?
Thanks given by:
Possibly yes. Pass the number on get some pics we are in desperate need. Lu really hates her current whip.
Thanks given by:
I know it doesn't always apply but i only buy cars off autotrader. Ebay and gumtree are full of timewasters, esp as the latter is free to list
Thanks given by:
None on auto trader either near me. Trust me I've looked.
Thanks given by: