1.9 Hub difference

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1.9 Hub difference
Hi Guys, need to replace both my front hubs as they've ovaled from the lower ball joint. Have acess to 1.4 hubs but not sure if they are the same. I know hdi and dt are the same only difference being balljoint sizes, but am i right in thinking the the 1.4 hubs wont fit? Anyone anymore infor on this?  Cheers Smile
Thanks given by:
The hubs will fit. But as you have worked out, theres no definite way to work out ball joint size by model or engine or year etc!

I believe the GTi also had larger bearings
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(17-01-2015, 07:31 AM)Piggy Wrote: The hubs will fit. But as you have worked out, theres no definite way to work out ball joint size by model or engine or year etc!

I believe the GTi also had larger bearings

Coulnt understand what was happening, replace track rod ends, drop links, top mounts and bearing, springs and strut and ball joint and there was still movemnt. With the car jacked up you can put you hand on the bottom of the ball joint and feel it wobble so i know it is definatly the ball joint. Check with vernier: old and new ball joint was 15mm and hub was 17? :S Last I checked it was either 16mm or 18mm for the ball joint. So not too sure wtf is happening there

lllllllllllll
Thanks given by:
I would suggest get some new ball joints to match the hubs Smile
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
(17-01-2015, 08:38 AM)Piggy Wrote: I would suggest get some new ball joints to match the hubs Smile

Yea replaced ball joints and there is still play between the joint and hub. Ball joint is the same size as trhe old one, but when i measure the old one it is 15mm wide as is the new one, but im next to sure the sizes are 16mm and 18mm. Mine is 16mm as it a phase 1 non abs hub, but when i measure the hub carrier hold that the ball joint goes into is is 17mm making me think that it has wore and ovaled.
Thanks given by:
Pull out the wishbone and visually check the ball joint hole in the hub. Shouldn't be perfectly round not ovalled.

35nm for the ball joint pinch bolts. No more or you'll stretch the metal
Thanks given by:
(17-01-2015, 01:06 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: Pull out the wishbone and visually check the ball joint hole in the hub. Shouldn't be perfectly round not ovalled.

35nm for the ball joint pinch bolts. No more or you'll stretch the metal

It feels like play all the way round after its built back up. It sounds stupid but if it is ovaled will it be in/out or left/right play if you looking at the wheel and shaking it?
Thanks given by:
It'll be in every direction now as you've been running it for some time by the sounds of it. It needs to be perfectly round, they end up knackered by over tightening them generally, as Paul says they need to be tightened to 35nm
Thanks given by:
New hubs it is then, will it only be the dt ones that fit? and should i get new pinch bolts? To be fair it was prob overtightening becasue they were done tight and only noticed the play a week after rebuilding the front end...
Thanks given by:
Any xu hubs will fit so all 1.8, 1.9 and 2.0 hubs will be fine.
If you need some I've a pair from a HDi here I can do with the wishbones so no need to buy new ball joints (have brand new p bushes too) for £40 delivered?
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(19-01-2015, 09:56 AM)Chris Wrote: Any xu hubs will fit so all 1.8, 1.9 and 2.0 hubs will be fine.
If you need some I've a pair from a HDi here I can do with the wishbones so no need to buy new ball joints (have brand new p bushes too) for £40 delivered?

Yes thats great Smile I will let you know later on because I'm in work atm and need to attempt to get logged into paypal. What are the ball joints like?
Thanks given by:
I'm presuming that they are in good order as the car they will be removed from only failed the mot on p bushes which have been replaced. I'm breaking the car as I've found out the chassis is twisted (boot floor)
I'll check them later this afternoon as I've got to pop over to my unit to get pics of other things.
[Image: sig.jpg]
Thanks given by: Pug0BZ3011
(19-01-2015, 10:48 AM)Chris Wrote: I'm presuming that they are in good order as the car they will be removed from only failed the mot on p bushes which have been replaced. I'm  breaking the car as I've found out the chassis is twisted (boot floor)
I'll check them later this afternoon as I've got to pop over to my unit to get pics of other things.

Yea that's grand, let me know what the ball joints are like but if it's £40 all in it alot saves me alot of time and hassle. Rep points for you Sir Smile

Cheers Chris Smile

(19-01-2015, 02:51 PM)Pug0BZ3011 Wrote:
(19-01-2015, 10:48 AM)Chris Wrote: I'm presuming that they are in good order as the car they will be removed from only failed the mot on p bushes which have been replaced. I'm  breaking the car as I've found out the chassis is twisted (boot floor)

Yea that's grand, let me know what the ball joints are like but if it's £40 all in it alot saves me alot of time and hassle. Rep points for you Sir Smile (If I can figure out how to do that lol)

Cheers Chris Smile
Thanks given by:

Did you get round to checking these Chris? Smile
Thanks given by:

Hi Chris I cant reply to the pm due to the 100post rule, can you pm me your number and i will text you?
Thanks given by: