GTI6 Rattle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GTI6 Rattle
hi guys,

been to look at a gti6 today which has got a rattle..

you will have bare with me as diesel is more my sort of thing but thought someone could pinpoint it for me as i have an idea but wanted bounce ideas off someone else over it..

basically when you start it from cold it has a slight rattle / tap (kind of like piston slap), however after couple mins of it running it stops like its getting oil round..

just wondering if it common fault or something to be worried about...

i presume its simple fix but wanted check even if it is a cheap car Smile

thanks
Thanks given by:
Quite possibly just a noisy lifter, they tend to do this more with old/poor quality/incorrect grade oil.

Is it cheap? 
Thanks given by:
Yeah sounds like a lifter to me. Its essential to get the right oils in there otherwise they make all sorts of noise! lol
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
(14-01-2015, 09:29 PM)allanallen Wrote: Quite possibly just a noisy lifter, they tend to do this more with old/poor quality/incorrect grade oil.

Is it cheap? 

its is and isnt cheap...
its a xud thats been coverted and resprayed (was originally blaze)
it comes with short shifter fitted, brembo brakes, recent axle recon, yokahama tyres, unripped interior
£400 for the car with 6 months mot and stack paperwork
it is a bit rough cosmetically and needs alot cleaning up but i have been offered another 6 with a knackered engine for £250 so was tempted buy both and drop engine into the other car while i rebuild the engine..
undecided really, thought it could be a lifter but wanted see other peoples views as dont want another knackered engine

thanks
Thanks given by:
Could be a slightly loose spark plug too (as in under a quarter turn loose)
P1 XSi track car
2.4 LWB T4
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exhaust rattle Jake949 7 2,010 19-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Last Post: Grant