Air filter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Air filter
What can be done to improve on cold air getting to my ram air filter? I know the standard airbox is probably best but the way I have done my cooler pipework doesn't leave much room for one. So what can be done or is the next step just an enclosed filter like a bmc cda?
Thanks given by:
pictures help people offer advice Wink
as we don't know where you've fitted the filter on your car

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/
GTI6 Info

Don’t drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

Thanks given by: shervo
Thanks cully how do I attach a photo to my post?

Ok silly question I figured it out haha here is a picture
Thanks given by:
My shout would be to try fit the standard one with abit of modification to it? If not move that one forward and try create some for of heat shield for it could also you the standard part that directs air into the airbox to direct air to your filter?
Thanks given by:
I have just fitted the standard part and put some flexible pipe to direct air flow to the filter. was thinking about buying one of these universal heatshields http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aluminium-Allo...51ad0200e7
anyone ever bought one?
Thanks given by:
Depends how shiny you want it, be a lot cheaper and probably more effective to pick up a scrap heatshield from your local garage and shape it yourself.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Well they're only £15 anyway but do you think it would be effective at preventing heatsoak? or would I be spending money on shiny bits for nothing haha
Thanks given by:
Probably a bit of both it'll stop heat but with a larger scrap heat shield you could shape it yourself and create a more effective one
Thanks given by:
Well it's only partially enclosed, so hot air will just be drawn in around the sides of the shield. Will be better than a kick in the teeth though lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Ok cheers lads, I might just order one im not expected to feel any gains just thought abit of heatshield would be better than nothing
Thanks given by:
I have used a open style cone filter before and then moved to a enclosed style and have found it to be much better with getting cold air into the system. I have used a silicon elbow and a poverty spec air snorkel 

This is a photo of my old setup-

[Image: IMG_0624_zps3708cc69.jpg]

and this is my current-

[Image: IMG_20150109_191801_zpsccd893e0.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20150109_191827_zps79025ef9.jpg]

p.s. sorry the engine bay is a mess  Confused
Thanks given by:
Looks good mate, how much did you pay for the enclosed filter and what size silicon did you use to fit snorkel at the front as its not a circle its more oval haha
Thanks given by:
The filter I used was a generic 3" enclosed filter form ebay at £35, the pipe I used to connect the filter to the snorkel  is a piece of 3 inch compressed with a boost clamp... but if I remember correctly a 2.5 inch pipe is the right size if you stretch it over so ideally you should use something like a 2.5 ---> 3" pipe with my set-up but I didn't have one nor the room... 

If you look in the pics I have left a clamp off the filter where it joins to the pipe (intake side only) this is becosue I had problems with when the engine pulls back under full load pulling the pipes off, so I now use it as a expansion joint

hope that helps

Jake
Thanks given by: