XUD9 head bolt tightening sequence and torques

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XUD9 head bolt tightening sequence and torques
As the title says really, anybody got a Haynes they can take a photo of or copy the info onto here for me? Tried searching google and pug306 (why did I even bother?! lol ) but found nothing....

At a guess for the tightening sequence, id say its something like....

9 3 1 6 8
7 5 2 4 10

So pretty much working from the middle out, and go diagonally from left to right and right to left, correct?

Thanks, Dan.
Thanks given by:
The torques go as so:

Pre-Tighten to 20 NM. Tighten a further 60 NM. Tighten a further 220°

That order is pretty much there, it's not 10000% imperitive on the order, as long as you don't do all the back ones, then all the front ones, or similar, it'd be fine...

EDIT:

It's:

8 4 1 5 9
7 3 2 6 10

Imagine it in a spiral outwards...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Nanstone GTD5 GT17S - XUD9TE
Volvo V50 D5 R-Design SE Sport - Daily cruise wagon.
Thanks given by:
Cheers Ruan.

Just found an answer on wiki answers, obviously cant take that as 100% true but it says

10 6 2 3 7
09 5 1 4 8

Which isnt far off what I meant, just that goes clockwise, working outwards.
Thanks given by:
Oh and potential silly question here....

Is it worth putting an additional 20° or so on each bolt considering the head will be up against probably double standard boost and generally higher cylinder pressures, or not?
Thanks given by:
This is what I had :

Order-

8. 4. 1. 5. 9
7. 3. 2. 6. 10

Torque-

Stage one- 20Nm/15lbf ft

Stage two- 60Nm/44lbf ft

Stage three- Tighten 180 degrees
On the 306 waiting list.
Thanks given by:
Toxic-Jake Wrote:This is what I had :

Order-

8. 4. 1. 5. 9
7. 3. 2. 6. 10

Torque-

Stage one- 20Nm/15lbf ft

Stage two- 60Nm/44lbf ft

Stage three- Tighten 180 degrees

That's pretty much what Ruan said lol ^^ but as Ruan said, last stage should be 220* (and a bit, just make sure they are all the same)

And again, it doesn't really matter on the specific order of tightening as long as you start in the middle and sprial out as both Ruans and Dans second one do Smile
Team Orange Engine Bay

My flickr photostream - http://www.flickr.com/photos/markairey
Thanks given by:
Won't do anything... The bolts are stretching with that final 220*, you won't get any more clamping force, you'll just stretch them to more plastic deformation... Leave them, if they give problems, then give it another 90*... That's what I've done...
(16-05-2016, 10:45 AM)Toms306 Wrote: Oh I don't care about the stripped threads lol, that's easily solved by hammering the bolt in. Wink
Thanks given by:
both the same . . . . . .Wink

apart from your first guess Dan which is toss . .Big Grin
Phase 1 D-Turdo, K14@24 psi, De-cat, meaty backbox, Bosch pump, grinded LDA pin, duel air fed K&N =133.7bhp & 188ft/lbs
Thanks given by:
Righto, cheers all!

The head is currently on the engine but none of the bolts are tight yet because we ran out of sunshine last night. Tonights job is to get them all tightened and then crack on with putting the rest of it back together! :o
Thanks given by:
Good lad.

Was the head OK in the end, I haven't read the thread...
Thanks given by:
Yeah it seems fine. Precups on cylinders 2 and 3 still have tiny cracks in them but it pressure tested fine! Smile
Thanks given by:
As Ruan said, Leave plenty of stretch left in the bolts for when you end up stretching the cocks in situe!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
50 used spare bolts, bang them all down with breaker, job done. If it yields swap out replace with non-f*cked bolt...

All seriousness, ^ what everyone else has said... Wink
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I wouldnt expect anything less from you Dave Big Grin
Thanks given by:
I have done mine like that before... and it has been fine Wink
Thanks given by:
Dave Wrote:I have done mine like that before... and it has been fine Wink

Ruan called me a Pikey for re-using head bolts lol Mine has also been fine.........
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Says the guy who is a paid up member of Team Orange Engine Bay Wink

xx

It's pretty pikey for the sake of £12 for a set of bolts... The ballache involved if it's too stretched and you only realise when you've shagged the gasket is not worth £12 IMO.
Thanks given by:
Fingertight

/closethread
Diablo Hdi Dturbo and 205 1.9 project - it lives!
Thanks given by:
Quick question while were all here talking about it........

If some uprated headbolts were to become available in a few weeks/months time, would it be possible to replace the current ones if you removed and replaced the bolts one at a time?
Thanks given by:
Ruan Wrote:Says the guy who is a paid up member of Team Orange Engine Bay Wink

xx

It's pretty pikey for the sake of £12 for a set of bolts... The ballache involved if it's too stretched and you only realise when you've shagged the gasket is not worth £12 IMO.

Shhhhh...............it seems to be OK for now Tongue

Dan! Wrote:Quick question while were all here talking about it........

If some uprated headbolts were to become available in a few weeks/months time, would it be possible to replace the current ones if you removed and replaced the bolts one at a time?

not really no, you would have to do the gasket again really!
Team Orange Engine Bay

Thanks given by:
Mmm, thought as much. PITA.

I just got the idea from people replacing split rim bolts one at a time to save having to completely strip/re-build the wheel.
Thanks given by:
Nah, it's fine, replace them one at a time and it's no problem, long as you do it up correctly again, it'll be fine...

I've replaced the bolts on their own in mine from when I've stretched them too much, once you put in new ones it's fine again...
Thanks given by:
You can always tell when you've overtightened a bolt, and i've overtightened many headbolts before... I probably scrap 3 or 4 off when tightening down just to get it on the edge... but they are all used so who gives a f*ck, and then never have an issue after that.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ARP bolt tightening torque niciou 5 1,378 23-07-2016, 04:23 AM
Last Post: Dave
  XUD9 head gasket change video unclebeast 27 6,496 20-05-2016, 06:25 PM
Last Post: unclebeast
  xud7-xud9 head diffrences bashbarnard 8 2,473 09-03-2016, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Danny Wideboy