CG clutch

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CG clutch
As jimbo says I pretty sure I have found the issue. It looks like the pressure plate is catching on the diff housing bit on the inside of the gearbox. I'm think it HAS to be the wrong pressure plate. Will pop up pics tomorrow
Thanks given by:
So last night i dug out my spare hdi engine, fitted flywheel and bolted up the clutch. I gave the pressure plate a few coats of paint so i could then see any fresh marks. Bolted up the gearbox and turned the engine over and it jammed. Its jams to the extent of when i turn it back anti clock wise it would undo the pulley bolt rather than turn the engine. Took the gearbox off and discovered some marks on the pressure plate and inside of the gearbox. Got a few pics though not the best but you can see what has happened

[Image: 4D316054-DEA8-4F44-BBE6-4FB1517D4D6A_zpstbf91pgo.jpg]

[Image: 7485FCB2-957F-4F0D-A542-A266BCD6F6A4_zps4b1dafmf.jpg]

[Image: 37D73B62-A53B-4ABB-BB9B-27E012C83A3C_zpsyqxc2rda.jpg]

The gearbox had untouched paint on it as well and they are the marks the pressure plate has made. I think the pressure plate has to be wrong, though it fits and bolts up to the flywheel fine. Im thinking maybe for a 406 or 206 with hydraulic clutch? Maybe they have more room in the gearbox.

I was to busy to ring CG today so will give them a buzz tomorrow and see what they was
Thanks given by:
Was it bought second hand?
Thanks given by:
(07-01-2015, 08:03 PM)HDi--Power Wrote: Was it bought second hand?

Kind of, I bought it off someone else but was brand new and never been fitted
Thanks given by:
Yea its a strange one given how well it bolts up and how similar it is in shape and design to the OEM one, if its second hand though I guess its hard to be sure what was in the box. Of the 3 I have had none had a painted pressure plate straight from CG but they may have changed this.
Thanks given by:
Bit more of an update with this. I rung CG end part of last week and he just seemed to keep saying its defo the right kit for the car with im 100% its not, well poss just the pressure plate wrong. Its not like there are any part number on any of the bits to tell if tht is corrcet. I fully understand if it has been picked wrong as we are all human and do make mistakes. But anyway i got a bit assy and told him the only place the clutch is go for is the bin. But after a while he said to send it back to them along with a stand pressure plate i took out a 306 hdi earlier in the week and he will see what he can do. He said it will cost a bit but didn't say a price all he said is 'you'll be happy with it' was his words when im not overly happy as it has to be the wrong part and costing me extra.

He said as im the 3rd party after buying it off someone else they cant do any thing for free. Though i think would it be the same case say if my mum bought it for me for Christmas? Maybe i should just lie in the future and say im the guy that bought it originally.

I got it sent off today so i just wait to hear from them
Thanks given by:
If you have the original purchase receipt for it then yeah, you're the buyer.

What about hitting the person you bought it off for a receipt, and did they assure you it was off a 306etc.

Dimensionally its clearly bigger but If you're stuck with it, I would see about creating some clearance in the gearbox if all else bolts up fine etc.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
I have got the original receipt but obviously not my name on it.

Yeah the guy i bought it off had it for his 306 but then sold then car so had no use for the clutch. When speaking to the chap at CG on the phone he says its the right 1 fro my car as well. Im just waiting to hear back from them which he said he would call me on friday but no call yet
Thanks given by:
I spoke to CG today and they have had a look at the pressure plate and have measured it with the standard 1 i sent them and he said there are no higher bits on it than the standard 1 so i dont have a clue what is going on. In some of the pics i took of the CG 1 next to a standard 1 it defo looked higher in certain places. This really does have me stumped.

Like the chap as CG there should be a reasonable about of clearance inside the gearbox for the clutch. I cant see there is anything wrong im doing and with a standard 1 its fine. I need to try the other clutch on the spare engine and see if thats ok but it should be as it was fitted before.

It just leaves me with an issue of a clutch i bought that is not a lot of good other than the friction plate i guess. I dunno if that would be any good to use with a standard pressure plate?
Thanks given by:
They are probably measuring the wrong part
Thanks given by:
(20-01-2015, 06:42 PM)Paul_13 Wrote: They are probably measuring the wrong part

I do wonder, its kind of a hard think to explain. But he should be able to see where the paint has rubbed off from jamming on the gearbox
Thanks given by:
This is people from Leeds we're talking about ;P
Thanks given by:
Lol yeah at this rate I will have to load up the spare engine and gearbox in my car to drive up and show them. It's so frustrating
Thanks given by:
Send him the photos that you put up on here, mark it up on paint where you think the higher bits are, and send him the gearbox photo.
[Image: 22f2b6b2-758b-4c1c-96fb-6fa9c6059b13_zpsf306b56b.jpg]
Thanks given by:
The reason I gave up with trying to do the uprated bolt-on clutch kits was the lack of clearance in the same spot preventing any higher stack height, there really isn't much room there.
Custom roll cages/shiny suspension bits/general fabrication work undertaken, PM me.
Top engine mount repair/reinforcement/chocking for cracked chassis and high powered cars, drive in, drive out, 2 hour turnaround.
Thanks given by:
(21-01-2015, 07:55 AM)Dave Wrote: Send him the photos that you put up on here, mark it up on paint where you think the higher bits are, and send him the gearbox photo.

Yeah i need to send him some more pics really but he must be able to see where the paint has been marked

(21-01-2015, 12:29 PM)Rippthrough Wrote: The reason I gave up with trying to do the uprated bolt-on clutch kits was the lack of clearance in the same spot preventing any higher stack height, there really isn't much room there.

Ah thats interesting to know. Im not really sure what pressure plates CG use. I ask him if there standard 1s but he said no. They have the grooves in them so i dunno what else they do. Wether they do something to improve the clamping force?

I reckon they must just get standard 1s and do the grooves on them. Though next to the LUK 1 it looked different but all makes are going to maybe be slightly different. I reckon it has just got muddled up and is for a different car but he don't want to admit it.

Its 100% nothing wrong i am doing as its pretty obvoius how a clutch bolts on so it HAS to be an issue with the pressure plate.

Going to try the other CG 1 on my spare engine so i will report back later
Thanks given by:
I got round to trying my other CG clutch the other night and that 1 turns over with no issues so that will be getting fitted soon.

I spoke to CG again today and said to them that another CG clutch is fine so there must be an issue with the 1 i have sent them. He says there cant be as he has measured it against the stand 1 and sent him and there are no higher points on it. I have given up with them and just asked for them to send the clutch back so i have wasted £20ish to achieve F all posting it to them and back. He just keeps saying its not his problem as i didn't buy it direct from them. This has really wand me up and i really do want to get to the bottom off this. I will put the 2 CG pressure plate next to each other when i get it back and compare them.

If i do ever fit the friction plate it will prob end up going with a standard pressure plate. He says the CG plates are uprated and have better clamping force but i dont really know what to believe. Im just having to cut my loses
Thanks given by:
Piss poor customer service tbh, it wont do them any favours on here, seems they had a bad rep as it is
[Image: av5ym8.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Frosty, point out that it is his problem as many many people reading this thread are getting put off dealing with his company based on your experiences.
Regardless of where it came from, if the parts are what they supply for this car then they are wrong. They don't magically grow in size after shipping.
Thanks given by:
I have one there and although it's been ok that is still shocking customer service.

Hope you get sorted chum.
Thanks given by:
Are CG run by the former management at HiSpec ?
Thanks given by:
Bit of an update, Got the clutch back on Friday, can't fault CG for their postage service as he only posted it Friday. I've had a look at the 2 CG clutches and there are obvious differences. A few pics to help me describe

[Image: E05DC7C0-87B2-47F7-894C-62C2ABA9403B_zpsqfxmr82y.jpg]

[Image: B1E9E766-7272-489F-A6B4-8698BBECEDAF_zpstykvuftt.jpg]

Just looking at the 2 pressure plates there look completely different. Im not sure what brand of pressure plates CG use but when i add a LUK standard pressure plate into the picture, the pressure plate that fits fine looks the same

[Image: EE67033D-B8FE-4FB8-BC06-FB47712C329F_zpswe7dcihg.jpg]

So im not sure whats going on with the pressure plate im having issues with. I would be certain its the wrong 1 as it just looks completely different but i got some pics off McGlynn and his pressure plate looks the same as the 1 i got issues with but his is fine as he has had it for for a fair few miles

[Image: FF0BF6A0-DA1B-4B82-93F2-E991392D00B0_zpsxzwnj8zt.jpg]

[Image: 68261090-38BE-4CB1-9AE0-52B7425FA0CC_zpsenz7f5s5.jpg]

I really cant work it out. It would seem that CG maybe changed who they use the pressure plates from at some point but that doesn't explain why McGlynn's fits fine without issues and mine doesn't.

Anyone else got any Hdi clutch from CG any chance of pics?

(28-01-2015, 09:14 AM)nominous Wrote: Frosty, point out that it is his problem as many many people reading this thread are getting put off dealing with his company based on your experiences.
Regardless of where it came from, if the parts are what they supply for this car then they are wrong. They don't magically grow in size after shipping.

They just don't want to know as i didn't buy it them direct. I never what to give anyone or a company a bad name but i have been pretty disappointed with CG

(28-01-2015, 09:15 PM)mcglynn Wrote: I have one there and although it's been ok that is still shocking customer service.

Hope you get sorted chum.

Its just so frustrating. I just want to work out why i'm having the issue 
Thanks given by:
To be fair, I wouldnt expect a company to provide any backup if you didnt buy it new from them...I cant understand where your coming from, but at the end of the day, it really isnt there problem...You would just go bust if you started offering support and replacement items for people buying your items second hand... That's the premium you get for buying things brand new...warentee / support..

How close is the bit that touchs from not touching? As in, how much clearance do you need to make it ok? Quite likely just difference in castings would cause it if its just a mm or two...and tbh, alot of people would just fit it, and crank the motor, likely just makiong its own clearance! Altho if its more than a mm deffo not ideal given gear oil other side of that casting!
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
isn't the issue here that they've mocked up on a DW10 but you're using an XUD box?

I'm fairly sure the BE4 casing has more clearance as the gti180 and the 2.0 HDI use larger clutches than any XU or XUD/BE3 combo.
need a part number? http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/ and http://service.citroen.com/ will sort you out.
Thanks given by:
Frosty is using a HDi Box on the estate.

2 boxes tried, one was mine out of a 1999 306 HDi

90% sure Frosty's one was out of a 306 HDi too from a previous purchase

We were wondering whether its a clutch for a Hydraulic application, such as the 206. So when I drop my gearbox out we'll bolt it up and have a look.

All we wanted from CG was to say; "ohh...thats a 406/207/etc." unit. Trouble is they don't stamp their products with codes or any type of markings.
Thanks given by:
Bang a standard pressure plate with the cg friction plate. I seem to think they use a standard plate anyway.
On a break from 306oc for personal reasons. If anyone needs or wants me most of you have my number and or facebook messenger
Thanks for the good times guys n gals. I might be back. Who knows.
Thanks given by:
Is it possible to buy just the friction plate from CG in that case ?
Thanks given by:
(30-01-2015, 10:50 AM)darrenjlobb Wrote: To be fair, I wouldnt expect a company to provide any backup if you didnt buy it new from them...I cant understand where your coming from, but at the end of the day, it really isnt there problem...You would just go bust if you started offering support and replacement items for people buying your items second hand... That's the premium you get for buying things brand new...warentee / support..

How close is the bit that touchs from not touching? As in, how much clearance do you need to make it ok? Quite likely just difference in castings would cause it if its just a mm or two...and tbh, alot of people would just fit it, and crank the motor, likely just makiong its own clearance! Altho if its more than a mm deffo not ideal given gear oil other side of that casting!

Hmmm yeah i can kind of see their point but the item was bought from them with 12 month warranty it said on the invoice. I can understand them maybe not covering the warranty as it was sold on but it doesn't even fit. I sent it back to them so they could try and see what is wrong as all i want is a clutch that fits. I would of been happy to pay for another pressure plate that will be the correct 1 but he said that the 1 i got is correct. Would the situation of been different if i got the lad i bought it off to ring CG and tell them the issue or maybe i should of just said i was the lad who bought it from them. We all live and learn. 

Its hard to say how much is touching but it does jam solid when turned over. It looks to be the rivet heads that are touching so poss grind them back but are the pressure plates balanced at all? I would say it was more lucky i didnt just fit it and start it up as it could of ended up with a hole in the gearbox. It was only down to luck i checked and noticed the issue

I ain't wanting to get in an argument with anyone it has just be very frustrating

(30-01-2015, 11:03 AM)welshpug Wrote: isn't the issue here that they've mocked up on a DW10 but you're using an XUD box?

I'm fairly sure the BE4 casing has more clearance as the gti180 and the 2.0 HDI use larger clutches than any XU or XUD/BE3 combo.

As marks says using a hdi gearbox and have tried 2 different 1s

(30-01-2015, 12:38 PM)bashbarnard Wrote: Bang a standard pressure plate with the cg friction plate. I seem to think they use a standard plate anyway.

If i do ever go to use thats what i think i will do. They say there pressure plates are uprated though. Higher clamping force.

(30-01-2015, 01:11 PM)nominous Wrote: Is it possible to buy just the friction plate from CG in that case ?

Yeah you can just buy the friction plate from them. Thats what i did for my xud and used a started valeo pressure plate.

Can but the pressure plates from them separate as well
Thanks given by:
If its just a few mm id attack the box, but try on scrap box first, not sure how much meat is in that area...

Tbh id probs just buy my own brand new clutch, so you can have back up / support and peace of mind, but given you already have it, Its worth trying to make it work i guess...

All the clutchs ive had from CG have just been stock pressure plates, so maybe just use the stock one and drash on?
| Dyno Power Runs & Steady State Facilities Available, Just Ask Anytime |
| #DervMafia |

[Image: sigi-2.png]
Thanks given by:
(30-01-2015, 12:24 PM)mr_fish Wrote: Frosty is using a HDi Box on the estate.

2 boxes tried, one was mine out of a 1999 306 HDi

90% sure Frosty's one was out of a 306 HDi too from a previous purchase

We were wondering whether its a clutch for a Hydraulic application, such as the 206. So when I drop my gearbox out we'll bolt it up and have a look.

All we wanted from CG was to say; "ohh...thats a 406/207/etc." unit. Trouble is they don't stamp their products with codes or any type of markings.

The last line pretty much sums it up. Thats my bet it has just got muddled up. But we will never no

(30-01-2015, 01:34 PM)darrenjlobb Wrote: If its just a few mm id attack the box, but try on scrap box first, not sure how much meat is in that area...

Tbh id probs just buy my own brand new clutch, so you can have back up / support and peace of mind, but given you already have it, Its worth trying to make it work i guess...

All the clutchs ive had from CG have just been stock pressure plates, so maybe just use the stock one and drash on?

It looks to be like the diff housing inside the gearbox where its touches so like you say i dunno how thick that bit is

Yeah i got the sprung 1 im going to fit and see how i get on. 

If i do fit the unsprung friction plate i will just get a standard clutch and use the pressure plate. All i was doing was trying to save myself a few £££
Thanks given by: