Yet another "What Car" thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yet another "What Car" thread
100k on a half-decent diesel is like 30k on most things running petrol lol.
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(01-12-2014, 02:37 PM)Poodle Wrote: 100k on a half-decent diesel is like 30k on most things running petrol lol.

Maybe in 1902.
Matt-Rallye Wrote:Norledge for prime minister.
Poodle Wrote:I reckon Norledge has got it on the head mind.
Matt-Rallye Wrote:Norledge gets my vote tbh.
Thanks given by:
Agreed that diesels can go to higher miles, and I would buy a cheap diesel with high miles, but if I am stretching the budget (which I could) I don't want to then also get stuck with something unreliable. If I'm investing 2.25k for example, It has to then be low miles and nice enough to justify it. I'm not going to buy a very high miles example of a nice car over a great example of a less nice car.

Really don't want to spend loads (to me) on a car, then get stuck with a huge repair bill and be thinking if I pay it it's loads and I'll lose too much on the car if I move it on when not running.

In my mind I'd like to either:
1. Buy something for 0-1400ish that is ok, does the job, isn't shite, is really cheap to run and lasts a few years. If it does ever die the max I can ever lose is the purchase price - scrap value = quite a few hundred quid.
2. Spend a decent bit extra and get something that has a very good chance of not sticking me with a massive bill that is also fairly nice.

I am beginning to wonder whether or not I should just get a cheap derv 306 now and run it for a few years for next to nothing. lmao
It is definitely a very economical choice.

Love the seats in this, but it's an XUD.
http://www.gumtree.com/p/peugeot/peugeot...1072865171

Not far from work.
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

62k Diablo Phase 1 Gti-6:
Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Don't get fooled into thinking high mileage = unreliable. Dependant on the previous owner, a car can be wrecked pretty quickly lol. I saw a 2008 50k Focus on Gumtree last week (same as mine, but 1.6 petrol) - was being sold for spares/repair as the engine had failed due to no oil in it, only one service in that time, damaged interior, many large exterior dents and scratches, mirror smashed, no MOT etc etc! Unfortunately its gone or I'd link it. But I was amazed how bad it was for the age and mileage lol.

Not sure you've got the right gumtree link there? LX 'bus seats' aren't exactly nice!? lol But on a serious note, ph2 estate will probably have no rear arch left.

I would buy as new as you can, but go for something with a few more miles, rather than something older and low mileage. Age causes rust, fatigues metal and perishes rubber much more than mileage does in my experience.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for your thoughts. Obviously I would be checking a car over! I don't want something that's been totally abused.

Those seats are bloody epic. Is that cheap sedan near you still for sale?
This post is an artistic work of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted above as fact.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(30-11-2014, 09:43 PM)Orta Wrote: Under no circumstance buy a vauxhall with the 1.9 diesel. You will have problems. Not a matter of "if" it's when.
Are they really that unreliable? Found a lovely vectra with it but I don't want problems.

Is the 2.0L diesel ok?

Also, is this suspiciously cheap or am I imagining things?
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/a...?logcode=p

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
406 coupe Wink but try finding one :p
Current stable
'09 Mercedes E320cdi wagon 
'99 306 gti6
Thanks given by:
Pfft get on norledge, find me a modern petrol that's done 400k on the current engine or runs better than new at 100k. :p

The 1.9cdti is ok as an engine, it's the same as the jtd/tid/ttid/multijet. Has a few common problems, but isn't particularly worse than any other mass-produced derv.

That Seat is rather cheap, suspicious lack of vag tax...

And seconded on lx seats being awesome. Big Grin
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
(03-12-2014, 06:55 AM)Poodle Wrote: Pfft get on norledge, find me a modern petrol that's done 400k on the current engine or runs better than new at 100k. :p

The 1.9cdti is ok as an engine, it's the same as the jtd/tid/ttid/multijet. Has a few common problems, but isn't particularly worse than any other mass-produced derv.

That Seat is rather cheap, suspicious lack of vag tax...

And seconded on lx seats being awesome. Big Grin

Yeah...other examples seem to be 300 more for 30-50k more miles and same MOT etc.

Would be a steal if it was genuine.

(03-12-2014, 12:34 AM)ozonehostile Wrote: 406 coupe Wink but try finding one :p
I have been trying!
If you happen upon another bargain/good one let me know. Big Grin

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
That Leon is pov spec with the crappy 90bhp engine! It's the equivalent of saying a 1.4 LX 306 is cheap over a HDi DTurbo. lol
Thanks given by:
(03-12-2014, 06:55 AM)Poodle Wrote: That Seat is rather cheap, suspicious lack of vag tax...

Seat's are bottom of the pile in the VAG world so attract the least tax.
From my experience it's:

Audi
VW
Skoda
Seat

Obviously they own a bunch more companies, but those are the main ones people will be looking at, and the order of scene tax.
Thanks given by:
(03-12-2014, 09:47 AM)Toms306 Wrote: That Leon is pov spec with the crappy 90bhp engine! It's the equivalent of saying a 1.4 LX 306 is cheap over a HDi DTurbo. lol

Ok so that isn't alarmingly cheap and might be worth investing some time into investigating?

It will still be comfortable, get good MPG, it has aircon and should be reliable. Bargain at that price if genuine IMO. Don't need any toys CC is nice but not necessary.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Yeah if spec and power don't bother you, you will get 'desirable' models cheaper.

Don't forget 90bhp in a heavy car will be fairly slow though, its bad enough in a 306. That said, remaps for them are cheap anyway.
Thanks given by:
It doesn't need to be fast. My entire commute is motorway, a roads and average speed checks. There is zero exciting drivings, apart from occasionally accelerating off of a roundabout, which I can live without for 50+mpg.

The Leon has disappeared. :/

Might have a look at this if it is still about next week:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/vauxhall/2003-5...1091299010

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
(02-12-2014, 12:39 PM)RetroPug Wrote:
(30-11-2014, 09:43 PM)Orta Wrote: Under no circumstance buy a vauxhall with the 1.9 diesel. You will have problems. Not a matter of "if" it's when.
Are they really that unreliable? Found a lovely vectra with it but I don't want problems.

Is the 2.0L diesel ok?

Also, is this suspiciously cheap or am I imagining things?

Yes the 1.9 IS that bad. Add to this that the rest of the car is shite as well. All vauxhall gearboxes from that era are made of cheese and will break. Your air con will stop working as well. Otherwise great cars
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
Any thoughts on this?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/vauxhall/2005-v...1094164971

Don't much want the hassle of pulling a doorcard off but it seems like a good deal assuming the seller checks out and it is HPI clear etc.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
'Life'? - You really don't like spec do you! lol

Looks like the sellers a lazy bugger and keeps the belt plugged in to save putting it on and avoid the annoying 'bing'. Also looks a bit tatty for its age. But I can't complain at that price for a 9 year old diesel.

Not heard of that door fault on Vauxhalls, if its anything like the Golf/Bora door module fault it can be a complete arse to get the door open as you cant get the door card off with the door closed. Best method is keep whacking the outside of the door hoping the contacts in the module touch again. lol
Thanks given by:
(28-12-2014, 10:28 AM)Toms306 Wrote: 'Life'? - You really don't like spec do you! lol

Looks like the sellers a lazy bugger and keeps the belt plugged in to save putting it on and avoid the annoying 'bing'.  Also looks a bit tatty for its age.  But I can't complain at that price for a 9 year old diesel.

Not heard of that door fault on Vauxhalls, if its anything like the Golf/Bora door module fault it can be a complete arse to get the door open as you cant get the door card off with the door closed.  Best method is keep whacking the outside of the door hoping the contacts in the module touch again. lol

Hmm, yeah I'm really leaning towards buying something that won't need work doing right away. Barely have enough time for anything gti6 related as is. Sad

I actually do rather like spec quite a lot, but then I'd have to pay for it! lmao Maybe that is what I should do I suppose. The astra below would likely be a good workhorse and comfy, but absolute pov spec again haha.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
True, you do have to pay for spec...but well specced cars will still hold value time you come to sell. Plus spec is what makes a car, little touches that make it more comfortable or easier make a huge difference overall. I hate pov spec cars haha. lol

Have you actually looked at/test driven any cars yet? Tongue Are there any massive car supermarkets near that you could browse?
Thanks given by:
(29-12-2014, 09:59 AM)Toms306 Wrote: True, you do have to pay for spec...but well specced cars will still hold value time you come to sell.  Plus spec is what makes a car, little touches that make it more comfortable or easier make a huge difference overall.  I hate pov spec cars haha. lol

Have you actually looked at/test driven any cars yet? Tongue  Are there any massive car supermarkets near that you could browse?

No, things keep getting in the way/ I keep waiting for something better.

Ultimately a 900 quid astra or similar will sell for a few hundred pounds after a few years of motorway mile munching. I'd be worried about resale value if I spent more.

This seems like an ok deal:

Long MOT, good tyres, probably some servicing if I call and check.
More than I wanted to spend, but good MPGs and hopefully will last a long while.

I should really just bite the bullet and go bloody buy something.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
The Mrs had one of these from 2 years old and it's still in the family at 9 years old and 120k. It's never ever ever broken down and besides consumables it's only ever needed a wishbone. Ace cars. My dad has it now and has taken back seats out to use as a van (for tip runs and otherwise hauling crap). It's treated like crap and hasn't had a proper service for years and still starts first time every time. Can't fault the car. I'd have it back off him in an instant!
CLUB RALLYE
||AVO Race GTX Coilovers||Signature Blue Steels||P1 VTS Rack||Hybrid ARB||21mm Torsion Bar||rich_w Flywheel||
Thanks given by:
Hmm that's good to hear. Considering spending a bit more and getting one then perhaps.

Project Thread
Thanks given by:
Liked the car on the test drive, something was dodgy about the seller and he had "lost" the history.
Keep looking I guess then.

Project Thread
Thanks given by: