A Pug in the Family

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Pug in the Family
Smile 
Hi, my name is Luke.

Long story short, my old Mk1 Clio 1.4 failed its MOT and it was uneconomical to repair it (especially as i was looking to change anyway), i had a look around but as i hadn't had chance to save a decent amount of money every car i viewed or considered was a pile of shit owned by a lying bastard haha, until a mechanic friend informed me of a 1.9 d turbo he had going for cheap and would sell it to me even cheaper! (grand total of £350), its a high miler that is rough around the edges but it is mechanically sound and thats all i needed to keep me going to work and back at nights.

[Image: 20141228_124011_zps8623d16c.jpg]

I have always loved the body of a 306 (especially the gti6) it is a mashup of the hot hatches of yesteryear but with just the right amount of comfort and practicality.

so here it is, my 306 DTurbo...

[Image: 20141228_124022_zpsad0ea905.jpg]

[Image: 20141228_124035_zps8a0b9fa4.jpg]
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum! You say it's a high miler.....but just how high is it?

Looks good though, similar to how my DT started, though yours has less doors. Got any plans for it? Or just gonna run it as a daily?
[Image: P1060836_zpsz3xgxt7q.jpg]
Thanks given by:
(28-12-2014, 01:44 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Welcome to the forum! You say it's a high miler.....but just how high is it?

Looks good though, similar to how my DT started, though yours has less doors. Got any plans for it? Or just gonna run it as a daily?

174k miles which is understandable for a derv, not really plans but just wanna make it a nice personal DD, needs tuning though as the power is all over the place! nothing below 2.5krpm then a big oomph at 3k and then the power just plummets at 4krpm, any ideas?

in depth service, i've got a pipercross induction kit laying around i can use, possibly a decat if its cheap (cost £25 on my clio), little bits and bobs, may get a nice speaker setup in the car, maybe some leathers etc nothing major.

as this car was a complete surprise i will just be seeing where it takes me, who knows?
Thanks given by:
(28-12-2014, 02:20 PM)g00sey23 Wrote:
(28-12-2014, 01:44 PM)WiNgNuTz Wrote: Welcome to the forum! You say it's a high miler.....but just how high is it?

174k miles which is understandable for a derv, not really plans but just wanna make it a nice personal DD, needs tuning though as the power is all over the place! nothing below 2.5krpm then a big oomph at 3k and then the power just plummets at 4krpm, any ideas?

in depth service, i've got a pipercross induction kit laying around i can use, possibly a decat if its cheap (cost £25 on my clio), little bits and bobs, may get a nice speaker setup in the car, maybe some leathers etc nothing major.

as this car was a complete surprise i will just be seeing where it takes me, who knows?

Welcome to the world of turbo diesel... lol

174k isn't all that high really, infact its only 10k a year! Smile
Thanks given by:
Im just gonna go ahead and assume thats still running a Lucas fuel pump, and side with Tom on this, thats just the way the power is delievered on these! lol Though a decat and a bit of tweaking should help bring the turbo on boost a bit sooner, the lucas pump will run out of puff just after 4k if you're lucky. I fiddled with one of the screws on the throttle arm (can't remember which now, was a while ago!), which gave me some more top end revs, but i still ended up changing at about 4.5k.
Thanks given by:
Welcome along mate,looks lovely Smile
[Image: Cn91r40h.jpg] 
Astor 6 Fast road/track project
Thanks given by:
i perhaps should have stated this is my first time owning a diesel, or a turbocharged car for that matter. im not sure whether i have a lucas or a bosch fuel pump. if i do have a lucas is there any point tuning it or just do a bosch conversion? (expensive?)
Thanks given by:
Its down to you at the end of the day, I tuned the Lucas pump in my DT, was fairly quick (definitely an improvement over standard!), but wasn't going to set any records! Wink

If you put a pic of your engine bay up, we can tell you straight away which pump you've got.

Wouldn't mind an XUD again tbh, think i'd prefer it to the HDi. Only thing the HDi has going for it is MPG and lower tax band. Other than that, I wanna burn the damn thing! lol
Thanks given by:
Welcome along.

You can have a lot of fun with a D-Turbo, get reading a few project threads and you'll be up to your neck in grease and big turbos before you know it!
                                             [Image: 2ljm03k.jpg]

I Don't Have A 306.
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the club! The dturbo is great and highly tunable on a budget. A bosch conversion should be under £400 easily and then you can tune more and run veg oil to save more money!

Diablo and 3 door looks great! Youre well on your way to having a great car! Big Grin
Thanks given by:
i have discovered that i have a lucas pump not a bosch Sad considering doing a decat very soon as i have read it will help the turbo spool quicker, will a decat affect the car when it comes to MOT time? i read that diesels dont get an emissions test? also am i right in thinking i can jsut use a front pipe from an old d turbo(non catted)?
Thanks given by:
An early Phase 1 D Turbo down pipe will fit straight on, However it is now an MOT requirement to do a visual check for the DPF (cat). I guess this comes down to your MOT inspector as to whether or not he does this and whether or not he knows if it should have a DPF as standard or not.
I'd be inclined to give it a go and just play dumb at MOT time and see what happens.
Thanks given by:
Its not a DPF on these...its a cat. Same applies though, technically you should fail for a decat, but it seems most people don't.
Thanks given by: