Turbo issue

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Turbo issue
Bought a 306 hdi as a run around while my car was in the garage, and just thought it was naturally low on power (my other car is a vectra VXR.. so I was naturally going to be underwhelmed by the power!).. but the turbo just kicked in (evidently for the first time since I've been driving it) and I was pleasently surprised by the push it gave..

Now here's the issue.. obviously the turbo is intermittent, but while booting the car about just now the turbo was kicking in at about 2800rpm while other times I had to keep the foot down until it hit about 3500rpm before the turbo actually did anything (and it takes a while to get to 3500rpm with no turbo!). Not sure if I dislodged something that has brought the turbo back to life or something..

But does anyone have any ideas?

Edit: forgot to say, once the turbo is kicked in, when I gear up and keep booting it the turbo keeps on going. But as soon as I stop flooring it, the turbo disappears again.
Thanks given by:
sorry...

so the turbo does or doesnt kick in at the moment, or sometimes it does and sometimes it doesnt?

(The 2.0 Hdi turbo works almost from idle to be honest, at 2k rpm it will give a good "kick")
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I've had the car a couple of week, and today was the first time the turbo has actually kicked in..

And there isn't a specific point at which the turbo kicked in (as stated.. A few times it kicked in below 3k revs, others it was closer to 4k before it kicked in (only revved it that hard to see if the turbo would actually kick in or not)).
Thanks given by:
unplug the MAF sensor bet its dead
Thanks given by:
I'd seen something about the MAF sensor on another forum and thought I'd give it a try (have to be tomorrow though.. I'm sat comfy on the sofa for the rest of the night haha)..

Could the MAF really kill the turbo like this though? I was possibly thinking a blocked CAT (restricted air flow stalling/failing the turbo?) or possibly.. If they exist on these, a blocked/faulty EGR valve? Only thing is, I'm not getting a check engine light like I'd expect if it was either of those 2 things..
Thanks given by:
you dont always get a EML with a bad MAF.

MAF is nice and simple to test. Unplug it, drive it, see if its better. If it is, then get a new/replacement MAF ThumbsUp
Wishes for more power...
Thanks given by:
I've never seen an EML for a bad MAF tbh. Unplugging it is really the only test without diagnostics. But they don't normally fix themselves so I'm doubtful that'll be the problem here.

The EGR could also be sticking open causing a lag, blanking it off will rule that out.
Thanks given by:
Just to add hdi's come with egr Smile
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
Was gonna say EGR. My 300 Tdi Discovery was flat until getting on for 3000 rpm when I first bought it. Did the valve clearances and blanked of the EGR, totally different vehicle then, turbo coming in below 2000 rpm then.
Thanks given by:
Well, up early this morning (really early) and changed the oil and filter, and given the air filter a clean (original paper filter, but didn't look bad so left it rather than change it..).

But the main thing I did was unplug the MAF and.. jeez! Power through the rev range! Timed a 0-60 before (only a rough time) and got about 18-19 seconds.. did one with the MAF unplugged and got more like 12 seconds! Also got a little bit of wheel spin on launch. So I'm pretty sure it made a difference!

Anyway.. New MAF ordered!

Edit: was going totake a look at the EGR to rule that out, but tried the MAF first as unplugging 1 connection as opposed to removing the EGR seemed easier haha. Probably still give it a clean at some point as diesels I have owned previously have always ended up with issues..
Thanks given by:
I hope you've ordered genuine siemens vdo!
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
I had almost exectly the same symptoms with my latest HDI purchase

it would drive ok in std form
but after putting a stg1 map on the car was crap lowdown and like flicking a switch for instant power at 2.5Krpm

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?...#pid488713

and as Poodle says Genuine Seimens VDO or dont bother as the pattern ones wont last and there have been reports of them being poorly calabrated
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intermittent turbo issue. DarrenCage 18 4,458 28-01-2014, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Poodle