No Power after ECU Swap

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Power after ECU Swap
I have a 306 HDI, late 2000. it has a bosch EDC15C2 ECU

I bought the car a year or so ago and it only came with a non remote locking key. Fed up of using the door lock to get in and out of the car, and knowing the price peugeot charge for a new key, I recently bought a ECU set from Ebay

It came complete with ECU, the CPH08 imobiliser unit, the halo thing for the transponder and the RF Key.

I fitted it all tonight, (made sure to disconnect the battery first etc)
once fitted I tried the key and all seemed fine, locked, deadlocked and unlocked with the remote.

Started fine, but when I took it out for a drive, there was just no power,  it revs fine in neutral, and seems ok ish in first and second gear, but its as if the turbo isnt kicking in, it wont go above 2000 ish rpm in 3rd 4th or 5th, takes like 60 seconds to get to 60 and just wont go any faster.

theres no check engine light on, I tried removing the battery waiting half hour and connecting it back up, still no power.

tried disconecting the air flow meter plug, which did bring up a engine light, but didnt help with the power issues.

I swapped the ecu etc back for the origonal ones and all fine again.

anyone got any ideas?

its almost as if its in limp mode with the new ecu, but rather than there seeming to be a rev limit imposed, there just isnt any power, Im asuming the fuel is being limited. but with no engine fault light im stumped.
Thanks given by:
Not heard of this happening before, that sounds exactly like limp mode as you say. Did the ecu set definitely come off a 306? All i can think is that it's from a 406 and expecting to see map readings or something.

Can't help there, but i know you can get new keys for a hell of a lot less than peugeot charge. You can get them programmed in with peugeot planet if memory serves, got to be easier than trying to trace the fault on this?
306 HDi Deathtrap - 130bhp / 220lbft
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Does sound like limp mode. But you say it doesn't do it in 1st
Thanks given by:
I'd say incorrect mapping file on that ecu. I'd upload a stock map file. Or it's an excuse to upload a stage 1! Smile I've got a few stock map files and a stage one file, pretty sure that'd get you going, I had this when I mapped a lads car quickly In a car park. He told me his ecu was exact as the one I had a map for. I chucked the file on and it did what yours is doing. Turned out it had a new engine from a partner/307 and had a single plug ecu. But by sounds it's just incorrect map file on yours.
'01 Astor Grey HDi DTurbo 3 Door - Current/Daily/Does Everything I ask of it

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
Uploading random files is a bit of a gamble and you'll probably end up with a bricked ECU, instead it's worth running diagnostics with peugeot planet to see if there are any fault codes on there.

Are the codes on the ECU the same as on the one you took out?
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Thanks for your suggestions,

I've just had a closer look at the 2 ECU's and took a few pics as apart from the Bosch edc15c2 all the other info on the stickers is differant.

The ECU I took out. Which the car runs fine on is this.

[Image: 25C9B25F-F08D-483D-8FBA-3B9373CA5362.jpg]

And this is the new ECU which is causing the issues

[Image: 57DD9C28-C53A-49B1-BF95-D08324B5CAF9.png]

I was told the replacement ECU was from a 2001 306 hdi 90. And was tested and fully working.

I've not got a clue what these stickers mean. Maybe the paper one may refer to the map??

I suppose there's two possible causes for the issues.
Either the new ECU isn't mapped for my engine. Perhaps it has a standard map for a different model. Or is in limp mode due to issues it's seeing. (Although the engine management light isn't on)

Or the ECU is right and has a working standard 306 hdi map. But my car has been modified by previous owner (engine swap, or different injectors etc) which means it needs a non standard map to work properly.

I have a feeling the car wasn't running a standard map when I got it, it's had a decat, and egr disabled. And feels quite nippy to drive.
Thanks given by:
The 551 ECU is much much newer in terms of the software than the 976 ECU. It could be something like the air doser flap being given a full signal because the 976 ECU doesn't have it, or you could be in limp mode because there are some other options you don't have but that's not very likely.

If you try to put a 551 file on to the 976 ECU it WILL brick it because the 976 software only has one bank of maps and the 551 has two sets , one has 7 check sums the other has 11.

Why have you swapped the ECU, and why haven't you used the same ECU numbers? I've got all of these in stock if you're struggling to find one...
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
Ah I was under the impression the ecu's were identical.

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
Ah right ok. Thanks for the info.

I too thought that they were all the same. But having thought about it now. I makes sense that they would be different, what with later hdi's having the air doser bit. Etc.

The reson I swapped the ECU. Was that having seen one on eBay complete with key chp unit and halo. For £40 delivered. I thought it would be easier and cheaper to swap that in to my car rather than get a rf key coded to my ECU when I don't have the immobiliser code card etc.

I'm guessing running the older 976 ECU in my car isn't worth the hassle to get working then. And I should get another set with the correct 551 ECU. Or just stick with mine and try and get the key coded.
Thanks given by:
I would get a 551 with the immobiliser taken off. Will plug straight in and start up, no need to code your keys and nobody but you will know there isn't an immobiliser (and anybody who reads this thread).
HDI Tuning Ltd
www.hdi-tuning.co.uk
Thanks given by:
with an ecu with the immobiliser removed, what would happen with the remote central locking?

the 551 i have works, and starts the car, with the transponder chip in the key, but i cant use the remote central locking.

i understand that the receiver for the rf remote is the cph08 unit, if the ecu imobiliser was disabled would the ecu be happy to work with any cph unit which would still work (remote central locking wise) if it had the correct paired key?
Thanks given by:
maybe this can help any good with wiring Wink

http://306oc.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=27898
Thanks given by:
(18-12-2014, 02:15 PM)mlloyd2000 Wrote: Ah right ok. Thanks for the info.

I too thought that they were all the same. But having thought about it now. I makes sense that they would be different, what with later hdi's having the air doser bit. Etc.

The reson I swapped the ECU. Was that having seen one on eBay complete with key chp unit and halo. For £40 delivered. I thought it would be easier and cheaper to swap that in to my car rather than get a rf key coded to my ECU when I don't have the immobiliser code card etc.

I'm guessing running the older 976 ECU in my car isn't worth the hassle to get working then. And I should get another set with the correct 551 ECU. Or just stick with mine and try and get the key coded.

rf code is 20 quid max and then get someone nearby to pair it to your car who has pugplanet. If I lived near you I'd do it for a fiver and that would include as many rf keys as you like Smile

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
I will try and get pug planet working this weekend, will post in here if i get around to it, i'm only over in chandlers ford.
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Right there ^ Smile see if you can get a refund on that ecu and poodle will be able to sort out pairing the rf key to the original ecu set if you sort out purchasing the key code Smile

Was nice to meet you the other day as well poodle even though was brief :p

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by:
Nice to meet you too dude, even if i have met you two or three times before. Big Grin
...UPGRADING...

Thanks given by:
Cheers for helping me figure this out guys.

I really appreciate the offer poodle, it would be great if you could help me get this sorted.

I'll get hold of the 4 digit code.
Is it possible to programme used keys to the car? Both the rf board and the transponder chip ?

Looking around. Some people seem to be saying yes and some are convinced otherwise.
Thanks given by:
I've programmed fobs I've bought off eBay to my car a couple of times.
Thanks given by:
I got my security codes from http://www.peugeotcodes.com/ £16.99 for all codes for your car.
Thanks given by:
(21-12-2014, 03:19 PM)DeeTurbo Wrote: I got my security codes from http://www.peugeotcodes.com/ £16.99 for all codes for your car.

Second this!

You can program the immobiliser chip. The RF chip for the central locking your not supposed to be able to reprogram from car to car but some can, some can't. Think its just luck of the draw.
Team Eaton

1999 China Blue 306 GTi6 - Eaton Supercharged - 214.5bhp 181lbft
Thanks given by:
Cheers for the info guys. Got the code within 5 mins. Much easier and cheaper than Peugeot
Thanks given by:
That guy is really good he's helped me out a few times with various things.
Thanks given by:
I third that guy. Had a code done in minutes. Now get poodle plugging PP2000 in and he'll be away.

And to poodle I have the worst memory in the world I had met you before when you did welding on chris's Mayo at Zakks unit. The old brain worked it out eventually :p

Team disASTOR? Itwasntme

Thanks given by: